Main Menu

Andy Diggle talks Judge Dredd vs Aliens on CBR

Started by Ancient Otter, 30 October, 2014, 04:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

Here's a link to his interview at Comic Book Resources, where he also talks about wanting to do a Judge Dredd/Superman crossover.

Frank

Quotebeen blasted into a parallel dimension by a device created by Lex Luthor, which has partly depowered Superman. He's not as super as he used to be, partly also because of all the pollution in the atmosphere of Dredd's world. It's called the death belt, this layer of pollution and junk thrown up in the upper atmosphere by nuclear war. It cuts out the sun's rays, which depower Superman a bit

I've heard worse ideas, but I'd only really be interested if Dredd got to waste Clark at the end.

Proteus4

I've been reading all the Dredd stories from the pit onwards and The Aliens crossover I think is one of the best stories in there. I didn't rate origins or total war that much. But the predator story was dreddful - primarily coz I couldn't get with the art.

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

Tiplodocus

Quotebeen blasted into a parallel dimension by a device created by Lex Luthor, which has partly depowered Superman. He's not as super as he used to be, partly also because of all the pollution in the atmosphere of Dredd's world. It's called the death belt, this layer of pollution and junk thrown up in the upper atmosphere by nuclear war. It cuts out the sun's rays, which depower Superman a bit

So he wouldn't be Super. Just... I dunno...Hyper?   Maybe even Fairly Hyper?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

Dredd Vs Aliens wasn't as good as it should have been. It was okay but there were some glaring errors and missed opportunities. For example, why didn't they use riot foam against the aliens? Surely that's the most effective weapon against a group of bloodthirsty monsters? The aliens would escape it of course. I always thought the aliens could bite themselves/each other in order to release their acid blood which would eat through the foam. It would be interesting to see the aliens use their most famous defense mechanism intentionally to solve a problem.

And I've said it before but Dredd vs Captain America would make the best crossover. I'd love to see Cap's reaction to MC1.

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 31 October, 2014, 12:58:53 PM
It would be interesting to see the aliens use their most famous defense mechanism intentionally to solve a problem.

Joss Whedon used that idea in Alien Resurrection if memory serves, James.

Dredd Vs Aliens was a winner for me due to Henry Flint on art duties- my opinion probably would have been different with a less talented artist involved.

Proudhuff

Andy's love of 2k comes over well there. Looking forward to getting this for Huffmas!
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proteus4 on 31 October, 2014, 10:57:58 AM
I've been reading all the Dredd stories from the pit onwards and The Aliens crossover I think is one of the best stories in there. I didn't rate origins or total war that much

I suppose it depends what you're after in a Dredd story, but Incubus and Origins were mixed bags for me.

Total War, on the other hand, was just about the epitome of modern Dredd: taking the Democracy/Total War storylines to their ultimate conclusion; bringing the procedural stuff and Roffman to the fore, with the clever way they track down the suspects; and restoring my faith that the huge destruction of the city could still be done in an interesting way, after the frankly shite and tiresome megalopocalypse * overkill of the nineties 'epics' - where billions died, and I couldn't have cared less.

* I just made up that word

Proteus4

Sorry!! Noooooo - I said total War when I meant the Nero narcos endgame thing. I'm a idiot.

Total War was great
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

The Adventurer

The thing about Dreddworld is that... why not more homages? In the past we've seen 'Star Trek' and 'Doctor Who' with a Dreddworld spin.

Why not throw a 'Superman' at Mega City One and see what happens? At least then Dredd can cube/kill said intrusive creep and not get a convenient "he got whisked home at the last second".

Maybe a Super Solider from the Bob Booth era awakes to discover America a gross parody of itself?

This does remind me, I was once trying to write a Dredd/Astro Boy script for Zarjaz (or similar). I should get back on that.

And my Rogue Trooper/Armored Trooper Votoms script...  :-\

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie library on 30 October, 2014, 05:18:02 PM
I've heard worse ideas, but I'd only really be interested if Dredd got to waste Clark at the end.

I'd prefer if he got locked up in Iso-Cube 666 with the Devil and Mean Machine, then for it to become a sit-com/reality-show beamed to the Megazens.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Adventurer on 01 November, 2014, 10:09:34 AM
The thing about Dreddworld is that... why not more homages? In the past we've seen 'Star Trek' and 'Doctor Who' with a Dreddworld spin.

Why not throw a 'Superman' at Mega City One and see what happens? At least then Dredd can cube/kill said intrusive creep and not get a convenient "he got whisked home at the last second".
Meet Fairlyhyperman.

We never really die.

The Adventurer

See I KNEW I recalled that having already happened. Though I suppose a version that's LESS of a self parody could be worth a second go around.

Though I suppose if you're going to do that, you might as well use the real deal.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 November, 2014, 10:19:42 AM
I'd prefer if he got locked up in Iso-Cube 666 with the Devil and Mean Machine, then for it to become a sit-com/reality-show beamed to the Megazens.

'Course Mean is now care-in-the-community with his son, who I am filled with sudden forlorn hope lives in Gramercy.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 November, 2014, 10:45:43 AM
'Course Mean is now care-in-the-community with his son, who I am filled with sudden forlorn hope lives in Gramercy.

Send that to John Wagner.

The crossovers are all meta-continuity for me so I'm all for any characters in any state or any time - alive or dead -  to make appearances.