Main Menu

Paddington and certificate ratings

Started by Magnetica, 30 November, 2014, 06:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

I have just taken my family to see Paddington and wanted to comment on the PG rating it has been given.

On Film 2014 this week there was an interview with one of the team behind the film (not sure if it was the Producer) and it was said that he could not believe it had not been given a U rating and that there was nothing in the film anyone would find distressing.

Well as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating - my little boy did find it scary. I think the PG rating and the reason given by the BBFC are spot on.

Magnetica

sorry meant to put this in the more general Film & TV section - can a moderator please move it. Thanks.

Professor Bear

I think he meant there was nothing in the quantifiable and observable content of the film that would merit a PG, like a cuss word or an exposed willy.  Individual kids can find different things scary - my sister's bairns were shitting it during the bridge bit in the 1980s Annie remake, and apparently the woman getting turned into a robot in Superman 3 has long been acknowledged as nightmare fuel.

Can't see the fuss doing the film's promotion any harm if they play it right, but a PG can warn off some parents.

Jim_Campbell

I'd like to find whoever it was who decided at some point in the last 30 years that it was wrong to scare kids... and punch the living shit out of them.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 November, 2014, 10:23:41 PM
I'd like to find whoever it was who decided at some point in the last 30 years that it was wrong to scare kids... and punch the living shit out of them.

Cheers

Jim

As a parent, I would like to say: ^^^this.

dweezil2

And yet both Jaws and Jurrasic Park were rated PG and Paddington is positively tame by comparison!
It's a ridiculous decision by the BBFC.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jim_Campbell

The 'A' rating (IIRC) was slightly different to to the PG, but close enough, so... if you're going to moan about the decapitations in the Hobbit movies, or Paddington being a wee bit scary, may I just say: FUCKING JAWS. Severed head. Severed limbs. Bob Shaw FUCKING EATEN ALIVE ON SCREEN.

Bah.

Jim

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 November, 2014, 11:18:54 PM
Severed head. Severed limbs. Bob Shaw FUCKING EATEN ALIVE ON SCREEN.

These words are pleasing to me.

Fungus

Punching kids is often wrong.

Jim_Campbell

Spaceghost

The ratings system is used only as a guideline in my house. If I think my kids (7 and 10) can handle a 12 rated film (Scott Pilgrim) or even a 15 (both Hellboy films), I'll let them watch it.

They were both terrified by Jaws though and I had to turn it off.

I took them to see Paddington on Sunday and there was nothing in there that I would think warranted a PG rating.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 December, 2014, 12:29:00 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 November, 2014, 11:18:54 PM
Severed head. Severed limbs. Bob Shaw FUCKING EATEN ALIVE ON SCREEN.

These words are pleasing to me.
Jaws is a classic. Bob Shaw getting mauled by a shark is one reason why.

radiator

QuoteI'd like to find whoever it was who decided at some point in the last 30 years that it was wrong to scare kids... and punch the living shit out of them.

Could not agree more to be honest. I just do not understand this whole theory of trying to wrap kids in cotton wool and protect them from anything remotely scary, challenging or disturbing.

QuoteThe ratings system is used only as a guideline in my house. If I think my kids (7 and 10) can handle a 12 rated film (Scott Pilgrim) or even a 15 (both Hellboy films), I'll let them watch it.

They were both terrified by Jaws though and I had to turn it off.

I took them to see Paddington on Sunday and there was nothing in there that I would think warranted a PG rating.

Speaking as a non-parent, this seems like exactly the right approach to me. In my own experience, though certain films upset me as a kid*, by the age of 12/13 not much could faze me and I was about ready for anything.

*Which comes back to my theory that kids are pretty much self-regulating anyway - Stephen King's IT, which I saw around the age of 8 or 9, terrified me so much that I didn't go near another horror film for several years afterwards. I learned my lesson.

Bat King

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 30 November, 2014, 10:26:28 PM

Cheers

Jim

As a parent, I would like to say: ^^^this.

I'm with you both on this.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

IndigoPrime

It's entirely random anyway. One friend said his kids have watched all sorts, but one was recently properly freaked out, by all things, due to a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode.

Still, it's something I'll learn in time, although mini-IP is currently only five months old and already well-versed in design shows, Doctor Who and QI.