Main Menu

Suicide Squad has (most of) its cast

Started by DaveGYNWA, 03 December, 2014, 09:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

It never fails to amaze me that people still so surprised when a movie that was widely reported to be a really messy production (massive story problems, rewrites, reshoots and cast departures) turns out to not be very good...

Apparently they've tried to go for a Guardians of the Galaxy-style eclectic compilation of licensed pop music for the soundtrack, but all their song choices are painfully obvious and on-the-nose.

Sounds like yet another case of DC looking at what Marvel are doing, thinking 'we can do that too' without for a second understanding why it works in Marvel movies.

Jared Leto's Joker sounds absolutely loathsome, going by reviews. And not in a good way.

blackmocco

Rolling Stone's review: "Forget Batman v Superman — at least it tried. This botch job makes Fantastic Four look good."

(I doubt it's THAT bad!)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

I might go see this, because whatever the word on this was, it was never going to be reliable.
With superhero movies, the fandom can't ever let a movie be "meh", it always has to be utterly amazing or completely terrible, with no middle ground.  Critics and cinema hipsters also seem to be of a consensus that superhero movies are a bubble and have a vested interest in being proved right with a palpable bomb, so I'll trust no judgment but my own on this one and would advise others to do the same.

Bad City Blue

Should be off to the midnight showing, will pen a review on Friday.

Reviews have been all over the place, indicating this might be a real Marmite movie. I want to like it, but then again I want to like all comic based films.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Frank

Quote from: Goaty on 02 August, 2016, 07:57:21 PM
oh dear

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/suicide_squad_2016/

Why do Warner Brothers carry on making such awful embarrassments of films? Why waste all the time and effort it takes to cobble together these shambling Frankenstein's monsters when they clearly have no idea why the film needs to exist, what story they want to tell, or how those stories should be told?

Oh right, now I get it. Can't blame them.

Apestrife

Saw it today. Didn't think it was awful, but not that great either. Some really interesting characters, but just felt like a standard super hero film. I was hoping for Dirty Dozen but instead got Avengers meets Ghost busters 2. Mostly just action stuff and not that well edited.

Tiplodocus

Last trailer looks fun + I liked last David Ayer film + I quite like DC superheroes + all films are better at cinems = I will be ignoring reviews and making my own mind up at the Odeon.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Just back from the cinema. First up: it's a mess. It's very clearly at least three completely different movies mashed together and then subjected to a salvage-it-in-the-edit attempt. It wants to be the movie you saw in the trailers, but there's angsty grimdark psychodrama underneath, struggling to be free, and it never manages to satisfy on either level.

Bafflingly, however, it manages to be quite a lot of fun and rather entertaining. None of the actors are terrible, and several of them are great. I like the way it's shot, and the interactions are often pretty funny.

It barely makes a lick of sense but, somehow, that doesn't really seem to matter.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Keef Monkey

Yeah that all pretty much sums up my feelings. It's a total mess, but we still had fun and are glad we watched it. Could even see me dipping in and out of it again if it showed up on TV while channel-hopping, so certainly didn't hate it. Parts of it I really liked in fact. The grating overuse of licensed songs irritated me, it was like being at a party where someone skips the track every 20secs, and I really didn't like Leto's Joker at all (it's got none of the easy swaggering cool of previous portrayals, he comes across as trying way too hard) but it was a fun couple of hours. Will Smith and Margot Robbie (and also Margot Robbie's shorts) completely steal the whole thing.

dweezil2

I shall give this a go on Tuesday, just to see what an incoherent mess it supposedly is, so Warner's can at least be satisfied by getting some of those filthy amateur film studies $'s-is that the niche demographic Warners were going for?

Until then, here's the always amusing Half In The Bag deconstruction of Suicide Squad:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePoxmPMwJNQ
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Hawkmumbler

Redlettermedia never fail to hit the nail on the head...except for when they're wrong. XD

Goaty

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

James Dilworth

I... think I enjoyed it.

But I'm not entirely sure.