Main Menu

Suicide Squad has (most of) its cast

Started by DaveGYNWA, 03 December, 2014, 09:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Corbyn, Brexit, Leicester City, Trump, Superbowl LI ... now this:

Suicide Squad has become an Oscar winner—officially entered into the annals of Academy history, alongside The Godfather, Schindler's List, and Moonlight.

D.C.'s poorly reviewed supervillain team-up took home the Best Make-Up And Hairstyling trophy, recognizing the transformative work its team did in smearing Four Loko and Mudvayne CDs on its actors, then writing the word "Damaged" on the Joker's head to convey that he is damaged.

In the future, when you are speaking of Suicide Squad, you must now refer to it as "the Oscar-winning Suicide Squad," as outlined in Academy rules.

Rara Avis

There were only 3 nominees though ..

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

A Man Called Ove
Star Trek Beyond
***WINNER: Suicide Squad

Tiplodocus

No way that should have beaten Chris Pine's luscious hair!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

Some sort of Harley Quinn spin off is apparently in the works (with Robbie involved, producing and such) as well as a sequel which Mel Gibson are in the talks of directing.

Not sure what to make of it, but I hope projects will fare better than the first film. More sure of what they're out to achieve.

Regardless. Justice League seems like it has potential (NEW GODS!!!), and I quite like both Man of steel as well as Dawn of Justice. I'm quite alright settling with those three as a superman centric DC epic :)

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Frank on 28 February, 2017, 05:22:13 PM
In the future, when you are speaking of Suicide Squad, you must now refer to it as "the Oscar-winning Suicide Squad," as outlined in Academy rules.

Can a moderator change the title of this thread Please?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dog Deever

Am I alone in quite liking this film?

I mean- it was nonsense, but I found it quite entertaining nonsense (unlike Batman v Superman which was po-faced fucking drivel which appeared to take itself far too seriously).
I have no clue as to how characters/ story lines compare to the comics as I haven't read much superhero stuff since I was a kid (unless someone gets me a gn or something for xmas/ birthdays) and other than Batman I'm pretty unfamiliar with a lot of the DC universe stuff. I am getting acquainted with it through Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Bellends of Tomorrow series' which are all broadly entertaining enough in their own way (to various degrees).

I'm not convinced that Oscar winners are always 'good films'- I was under the impression that most of these prestigious awards centre around industry politics rather than whether or not the films are actually any use. I mean- it's entirely subjective so how can that even be measured? One persons serious, heavyweight, gravitas-laden movie is another persons dull-ass, talky, sack of bilge, surely?
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dog Deever on 07 March, 2017, 11:52:06 PM
Am I alone in quite liking this film?

Nope. It made not a lick of sense, and I don't imagine I'll ever watch it again, but somehow it managed to be quite a lot of fun, something that seems to have been missing from DC movies* for far too long.

*Note: it's possible that all the above might also be true of Green Lantern, but I haven't seen it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

I quite liked BvS and the same for SS. I never really enjoyed the DC universe - which I always felt vaguely guilty about, to the extent that I started collecting the DC GN collection, but cancelled it due to the largely crappy stories and characters (arrows with boxing gloves on the end and a superhero susceptible to the colour yellow, ffs).

I've also been watching Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Gotham and all these are, much like SS, fairly entertaining - but no more than that (except for Gotham, which is a cut above the rest). The entire DC universe seems to take itself too seriously when most of it is just daft and/or tedious.

But yeah, Suicide Squad is okay as far as it goes, on a par with any number of action films like R.E.D. or The Expendables, and Harley Quinn is the character that saves it from being utter tosh.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mardroid

I'm another who rather liked Suicide Squad.

I liked Batman vs Superman too, actually, although it is a bit messy and takes itself rather seriously.

Mind you, I seem to like quite a lot of films others consider rubbish, so, I'm not sure how much my opinion is worth.

I do like the majority of films others rate hi ghly too. The Nolan Batman films got on my nerves a bit, though. I didn't dislike them (I thought the first was really good actually) but I did find them somewhat pretentious, and a bit overrated.

The Legendary Shark

I guess we're more forgiving than most! There are very few films I've ever given up on before they've finished - most have at least something to offer, even if it's a lesson in how not to do it...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CalHab

Quote from: Mardroid on 08 March, 2017, 01:08:25 PM
I do like the majority of films others rate hi ghly too. The Nolan Batman films got on my nerves a bit, though. I didn't dislike them (I thought the first was really good actually) but I did find them somewhat pretentious, and a bit overrated.

The Nolan films were okay, but the Wikipedia-level psychology was utter bilge, even more so than the average superhero nonsense.

Hawkmumbler

The only good Batman movies are Lego Batman, Mask of the Phantasm, and Returns.

And Batman and Robin. Shut up, compared to BvS it's a goddamn masterpiece!

CalHab

I'm with you on Lego Batman. It skewers the po-faced idiocy that infects those films (and comics, to be fair). I do also have a fondness for the first Tim Burton film, having seen it at an impressionable age.

Frank

Quote from: Dog Deever on 07 March, 2017, 11:52:06 PM
Am I alone in quite liking (Suicide Squad)? ... I'm not convinced that Oscar winners are always 'good films' ... One persons serious, heavyweight, gravitas-laden movie is another persons dull-ass, talky, sack of bilge, surely?

I thought the link I posted was having a pop at the pretentions of the Academy, as much as a film audiences seem to agree is average to unexceptional. I wouldn't know - I'm done with superhero movies until they all stop using the same story.

The dull, talky stereotype holds true for acting awards, but the Best Film winner is usually decent. A straight comparison between Best Hair & Makeup and Best Film results doesn't suggest one category is a more reliable indicator of quality and/or entertainment value than the other:

Dog Deever

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 March, 2017, 06:46:53 AM
Nope. It made not a lick of sense, and I don't imagine I'll ever watch it again, but somehow it managed to be quite a lot of fun, something that seems to have been missing from DC movies* for far too long.
*Note: it's possible that all the above might also be true of Green Lantern, but I haven't seen it.

Yeah, that pretty much nails it- it was fun. I got the download and DVD free from Sky as a xmas prezzie, which always helps (I also bagged my dad's xmas voucher and blew it on Asterix and the Mansion of the Gods, which was enjoyable tosh too).

I'm only dimly aware of Green Lantern from the old animated Justice League cartoon which the missus was a fan of- I never liked Lantern and his Green Ring of Everythingness. I did watch the film, well... half of it then wandered off to do something more interesting. Mrs Deever watched it all and says it's pish- that's not to say you won't like it, of course.

I think one problem I had with DC was that they just seemed to add different colours to supes to make new supes (this may not be totally fair as I'm largely ignorant of it all; but dammit- how many different coloured arrows and lanterns are needed before someone says- "hey, maybe it's a new idea we need"). Also- Superman/ Supergirl/ Superboy; Batman/ Batgirl/ Batwoman... jeezo that must've taken ages (and perhaps two fag-packets) to come up with. Not enough mind-bending drugs; or else far, far too many.

Quote from: Frank on 08 March, 2017, 05:52:45 PM
I thought the link I posted was having a pop at the pretentions of the Academy...

Ah, sorry. I confess to not clicking the link- my bad. Reading that list though- there's a lot of stuff I wouldn't bother with, my favourite from it would probably be Pan's Labyrinth. Fury Road, like every other Mad Max film, really shouldn't work, but by Grud they all do!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.