Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Quote from: Magnetica on 18 February, 2015, 05:19:07 PM
I popped into a local Newsagent today to see if they had it...they didn't and the shop keeper asked me what I was looking for. I told him, but it meant nothing to him. He then asked me to write it down, which I did, so may be he will start ordering it. You never know.

I then checked out one of the two Co-Ops on the same street, and low and behold they did have it - it was on the bottom shelf lying down...very difficult to see. In fact I am amazed I spotted it. They had a number of copies of America, Mechanismo and the The Apocalypse War. Now I said I would pick and choose and found it very difficult to resist buying the Apocalypse War. I even went back in later to get some bread after a day out with the kids and was still thinking about getting it.

Don't resist it! You are only hurting yourself!  :lol:
It's a joke. I was joking.

Bat King

OK Comics have restocked issue 1 & 2 (one per customer)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

The Legendary Shark

Got my Apocalypse War (along with the Marvel UGNC Warlock Part One) from the newsagents today. Both in perfect condition and came with a smile and a chat with the lovely Mrs Newsagent. (Don't be put off if your local hasn't heard of it - there are so many books and mags and comics and partworks out there they can't know them all - they will find it for you.)
I wish they'd re-coloured the Apocalypse War - at least one Marvel UGNC (Tales of Asgard) was re-coloured and looked splendid. Maybe we should crowd fund Chris Blythe or somebody to have a go at some old one-part classics as Tharg/Hachette/Rebellion seem too tight to treat us, relying on us buying the same old thing yet again (which we are glad to do, apparently). Maybe the Return of Rico or something. Having paid for the colouring ourselves we could then donate the results to Tharg so we can, er, buy them again!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

A fully coloured Apocalypse War oversized hardback is available from IDW. It's great.

Bat King

Everyone could get their crayons out. I used to colour Axa in my Dad's Sun. He was quite amused when he found out.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

The Legendary Shark

There's a colour version and I've just bought yet another black and white version?
I am very disappointed about that. Very disappointed indeed.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fungus

Reading The Apocalyse War currently in the Complete Judge Dredd. On bog paper. As nature intended. With inky fingers. Very probably only for the second time  :o  It is wonderful.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 February, 2015, 07:44:14 PM
There's a colour version and I've just bought yet another black and white version?
I am very disappointed about that. Very disappointed indeed.
Well, the IDW version isn't the original. It's a pity Hachette couldn't have got colour films/scans for the spreads, but I absolutely would not have wanted IDW's recolour in this series.

TordelBack

I can't help feeling that IDW would have a right to be miffed if even a partially-coloured Apocalypse War hardback volume was released so soon after their own effort.  For all that I would have offered some non-essential organ in exchange for such a thing.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Cardigan on 19 February, 2015, 12:33:49 AM
I can't help feeling that IDW would have a right to be miffed if even a partially-coloured Apocalypse War hardback volume was released so soon after their own effort.

Which is partly why I assume Hachette don't have license in the US, yet.

radiator

QuoteWell, the IDW version isn't the original

He specifically asked about a 're-coloured' version, as in full colour, not just centre spreads.

The IDW colouring certainly isn't perfect or definitive, but it makes an old story feel fresh on a reread.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: radiator on 19 February, 2015, 01:55:11 AM
QuoteWell, the IDW version isn't the original
He specifically asked about a 're-coloured' version, as in full colour, not just centre spreads.
Yes, but feeling aggrieved because a historical collection doesn't include recoloured art seems a bit odd, even if a coloured collection is out there. Might as well complain about anything that got a US Eagle comics run...

The Legendary Shark

It just seems like a wasted opportunity. This collection would appear to be a flagship product, hopefully attracting new readers as well as satisfying long-term fans such as myself. A coloured Apocalypse War might have been a great treat for both target audiences and I'm disappointed it didn't happen.
Don't get me wrong, Carlos's artwork is magnificent throughout and definitely more than good enough as-is but a coloured version would put the cherry on top for me. Would have made the book something very special indeed instead of the same old thing with a new cover.
I wouldn't expect every old b&w story to be coloured but just a couple of the Greats, like AW, would really set this collection off. In my opinion. It feels like a wasted opportunity.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 February, 2015, 10:12:01 AMA coloured Apocalypse War might have been a great treat for both target audiences and I'm disappointed it didn't happen

There already are two fully recoloured versions of the Apocalypse War out there - the second one released as a hardback in the past year or so, and reasonably priced on Amazon (when compared to a single volume of the Mega Collection at least). I'd class these as essentially new works, and the MegaCollection is aimed at reprint of the originals. I don't think Rebellion/Hachette can be criticised for that.

Personally I'd have loved to see the Mega Collection in general include ALL the original colour pages, it would have ensured me taking out a sub that I really can't afford. However, there are obviously budget issues in creating new files rather than using the existing Rebellion ones (I imagine the existing digital archives of the Casefiles, TPB and Floppies crew is what makes the project feasible at all), and maybe just as significantly it would reduce Rebellion's market for future Deluxe printings, a la the Casefiles Vol 1 hardback - as many have predicted, as digital availability really takes hold it's physical books as high quality artefacts that are becoming the key to the print market. This may be the last call for  'cheap' reprint.