Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 05 March, 2015, 09:44:36 AM
I still had another few minutes wandering round the shop before I found it with the newspapers. Why it wasn't with the comics or the section with the Origins and Fourth Faction trades is beyond me.
Have you seen what passes for comics these days?  You wouldn't want it with all the plastic-bagged plastic-toy collections (Phoenix excepted, though I gather the only supermarket you'll see that in is Waitrose).

Proudhuff

Quote from: Fungus on 05 March, 2015, 01:48:08 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 March, 2015, 12:28:07 PM
Hivemind Q: Whats  the content of this origins vs the TPB like?

For our Cal-Hab readers: all RS McColls branches I checked have carried these... just staying.

Content-wise I noted the olde trade states 192 pgs so I presumed much the same content. Wondered the same...

Ta on RS McColl. I fear after the launch kerfuffle I won't see more books in WH Smith (locally). As a tart who will pick up books here and there, looked forward to Origins so bought direct from Hachette this morning. Beats eBay.

Hi Fungus, thought so, just wondering if there was any additional text/art pages, gonna buy this anyway, today possibly, so will let you know ...
Loving this series nice heavy weight hard back, artwork treated with respect and some thought put into the spines... I'm here for the long run now, I'm hooked.
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Can't remember what's in the trade, but in the MegaCollection you get a half page intro from Tharg, The Connection, Origins, The Spirit of Christmas, a page of context from Mike, two pages of cover gallery and two pages of layout sketches from Carlos.

Spikes

The trade contains a covers and a sketchbook gallery as well. Though the images used in the sketchbook are not the same for the two releases

IndigoPrime

Incidentally, I recently managed to grab the first 60 Marvel books and some extras on eBay for about £200. Comparisons with the Dredd collection are interesting. The Dredd books feel more substantial than the majority of the Marvel ones. The design is a whole lot better too. But most of all, the curation feels more coherent through the books so far released. It'll be really interesting to see the entire Dredd run, assuming it lasts the course.

TordelBack

Quote from: Spikes on 05 March, 2015, 04:41:14 PM
The trade contains a covers and a sketchbook gallery as well. Though the images used in the sketchbook are not the same for the two releases

Cheers! Turns out I was underselling the Hachette book - there are actually 6 pages of sketches and 4 pages of covers.

COMMANDO FORCES

Huzzah, the neighbour took in my parcels today. All Dredd and one was book 4 and 5 plus the coasters (Books 10 and 45 really) :thumbsup:

Tjm86

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 March, 2015, 05:47:02 PM
Huzzah, the neighbour took in my parcels today. All Dredd and one was book 4 and 5 plus the coasters (Books 10 and 45 really) :thumbsup:

Ditto ... nicely sized package waiting.  Had a flick and read the article in the Shambala volume.  As these are all stories I've not read in a while this is one to savour at the weekend.  I was impressed with the article though.  The meg has done a lot over the years about the methods of various artists and a handful of writers (could be wrong there though) so it was nice to have a focus on the evolution of the character.  Coasters are a nice little gizzit.  Kudos for the little container they came in.

COMMANDO FORCES

I only managed a quick look inside before work but did notice 6 pages of sketches/layouts in Origins and a hefty article by Mike in Shambala. Will read that in bed tomorrow morning!

Jamie1000013

I received my 4 & 5 today as well which was awesome. The shops had it a day earlier!!! Just kidding I have been busy  reading the Cable and deadpool omnibus and now I really want to read Origins. I find it hard reading two collections at the same time because I don't get invested in the story as much with another story lingering in the back of my mind. I really want to listen to the podcast as well but fear spoilers.

I'll have to rush through the omnibus with 36 issues left  :'(

robert_ellis

Loved Molcher's text piece for Anderson. Good work, sir!

Mardroid

My parcel of 4 and 5 was waiting for me when I got home.

The box seems oversized, even taking intop account it contains coasters too, and there's not padding to protect the items....

.. yet they arrived undamaged. Which was nice. I haven't opened the volumes yet (although I own Origins already in paperback format, and  that before. Incidentally Origins was just finishing up when I first started reading 2000 AD.) but they look smashing. The art on the coasters is particularly lovely.

I also got a letter which spoke to me like this wasa my first order. I guess it's a general letter that goes out to everyone.

robert_ellis

i'm amazed by the design of these things. The front & rear covers, plus end papers feel like a high end book collection. Very impressed.

Molch-R

Quote from: robert_ellis on 05 March, 2015, 11:10:14 PM
Loved Molcher's text piece for Anderson. Good work, sir!

That's really nice of you, thanks!

Buttonman

Got my 4 and 5 today - lovely stuff.

I'm sure one on my 'Dredd' coasters has in fact a Carlos image of Kraken on it! Outraged!