Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: robert_ellis on 09 March, 2015, 05:33:05 PMThe strength of this series (& longevity of Dredd) is variety - here's to all the glorious miss-steps & curious cul-de-sacs of Megacity One.
Part of the strength of Dredd, I agree, is the variety. But I don't want to celebrate mis-steps and garbage in a curated collection of hardback books that's going to cost about 800 quid over its run. (I imagine the absolute dross of Heavy Metal Dredd will also show up at some point, but at least a few of those have some knowing black humour from Wagner.)

For me, the Case Files are about everything and the kitchen sink, and the stinky goop down the plughole. This series is supposed to be the best content. Inferno is barely any better than 'Sonny Steelgrave' Dredd. Purgatory is just horrible in every sense of the word.

I, Cosh

Quote from: ZenArcade on 09 March, 2015, 06:40:06 PM
I'll stake a crusade. Z
I quite like both Crusades. The Dredd one is easily the best of Me & Gwant's longer efforts on the character.
We never really die.

aceface11

Quote from: The Cosh on 09 March, 2015, 09:00:17 PM
Quote from: ZenArcade on 09 March, 2015, 06:40:06 PM
I'll stake a crusade. Z
I quite like both Crusades. The Dredd one is easily the best of Me & Gwant's longer efforts on the character.

There were two Crusades? I have a soft spot for the first(?) one, around prog 921 I think it was. My first prog! Previously my dad had bought me an American floppy that included Robo Hunter, followed by a Meg (The Tenth Planet/Wilderlands)... I still remember the cover strap 'meet the Inquisitor this prog!

Matt

robert_ellis

I really had a change of heart re-reading the Arthur Ranson collection. The text pages made me consider the introspective nature of stories. All I wanted was the sassy glamorous action heroine of the Brett Ewins era. I appreciate now the risks taken with her - and the need to have a counterpoint to joe. I still prefer the character we saw in earlier stories. I'm trusting Matt Smith & Molcher to choose well for both connoisseurs & thrill junkies with this series. Perhaps even if a well written intro can't persuade fans that much derided stories are really diamonds, this series can explain what was being tried at the time and the lessons learned. Whilst showcasing amazing art!

James Stacey

some of the Marvel partworks had part one and two. I'm sure the same will apply here

Albion

Quote from: James Stacey on 10 March, 2015, 12:35:39 PM
some of the Marvel partworks had part one and two. I'm sure the same will apply here

Indeed they do. There is a three book story coming too.
I have book one of a Nick Fury collection waiting for book two so I can read them together. Annoyingly book two isn't due until August. :-(
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

robert_ellis

Day of chaos must be spread over a few books...

Anzati

Oh...so they doubt even release stories split over two volumes in order? Very slightly disappointing as I wanted to read each story as it came out...oh well. I do hope that we get an index for this at the end...hell is be willing to pay for an detailed index volume that listed the stories/original Prog numbers for each volume...but I'm probably VERY much in the minority there  :lol:

robert_ellis

Hachette got back confirming Purgatory & Inferno.... I'll get my coat.

Anzati

I've never read Inferno, but actually quite enjoyed Purgatory...so I'm looking forwards to this  :lol:

TordelBack

Probably shouldn't say this, since Inferno is utter pants, but I'd quite fancy that book for the art alone. There must be a fair amount of other stuff in there - maybe Devil You Know and Twilight's Last Gleaming? But please, please, p!ease, not the Judge Janus stuff.

Richmond Clements

QuoteBut please, please, p!ease, not the Judge Janus stuff.

Like, totally.

Anzati

Quote from: Tordelback on 10 March, 2015, 01:48:10 PM
Probably shouldn't say this, since Inferno is utter pants...

That just makes me want to read it more...still I'll be getting it when I get round to Case files 19...but do I want it twice...hope the book has some interesting contextual extras :)

But please, please, p!ease, not the Judge Janus stuff.

I did find the recent Janus reprints very hard going  :lol:

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Anzati on 10 March, 2015, 02:11:05 PMThat just makes me want to read it more...
I imagine the only way to get through it in one piece is to take it as an extremist parody of Dredd, in much the same way the Heavy Metal stuff was. Although Morrison for the most part lacks Wagner's ability to write black humour, and doesn't get Dredd or his world (or, possibly, just doesn't care). Inferno is lazy, illogical, dull and hackneyed. The art is quite good, but the writing is atrocious. It's not even curiosity-piquing—it's just plain bad.

I swear, if it hadn't been for John Smith, I'd have quit 2000 AD during that era, because even Dredd had become a joke. (Garth Ennis's run was also frequently poor, although he at least hit a few good notes.)

Quotehope the book has some interesting contextual extras
I'd certainly be interested in the justification for its inclusion, although I imagine it's "because it was written by Grant Morrison".

hippynumber1

Quote from: Anzati on 10 March, 2015, 02:11:05 PM
Probably shouldn't say this, since Inferno is utter pants...

That just makes me want to read it more...still I'll be getting it when I get round to Case files 19...but do I want it twice...hope the book has some interesting contextual extras :)

But please, please, p!ease, not the Judge Janus stuff.

I did find the recent Janus reprints very hard going  :lol:

Beautiful art though...