Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 March, 2015, 07:36:43 AM
My local newsie has one on order for someone. I seriously hope it's not the same guy who had a standing order for the Marvel Figurine Collection and who then didn't pick them up for months, meaning every time I went to buy milk I had to explain that no,  it's not me and yes,  I've already had mine.  Sigh.

SBT

We could have a whip round and get you a Tshirt with that printed up, save some time.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Judge Nutmeg

Any idea what stories the heavy mob will include?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 28 March, 2015, 01:48:17 AMHe thinks it's down to wh smith having the exclusive rights to sell it but he isn't sure if that's why.
Unlikely, given that I got issue one from a Martin's.

Colin Zeal

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 March, 2015, 08:49:36 PM
Quote from: Colin Zeal on 28 March, 2015, 01:48:17 AMHe thinks it's down to wh smith having the exclusive rights to sell it but he isn't sure if that's why.
Unlikely, given that I got issue one from a Martin's.

Well whatever the reason, my local comic shop can't order it for me. It's a bloody nuisance but fortunately I can go to fp to get it. Most people won't have that option.

TordelBack

That problem is inherent in the partwork format - direct subscription is the intention. If there was a conventional market for fortnightly 200 page hardbacks on the newsagent's shelves or LCS, I'm sure Rebellion would have jumped at it before now (26 HB GNs a year isn't exactly normal output). The pricepoint and initial investment costs must all be based on long-running subs direct from Hachette. It's a pain, but I suspect difficulties with alternative distribution are inevitable.

IndigoPrime

Given that WHSmith take, what, about half the cover price, it's not difficult to see how these companies want to heavily skew towards direct sales via subscription. (This also probably accounts for the packaging being so simple. For everyone who moans about a dinged book, dozens more just won't care. It's probably cheaper to replace a handful of books every month than 'upgrade' everything.)

Still, it's a pity that the series will within the next month or two probably fade from view in the majority of outlets, its survival then entirely reliant on the subs pool. Here's hoping it's big enough for the series to get through all 60 books.

Spikes

I see over on their facebook page it states that the Cursed Earth is going to be book 8.

robert_ellis

Always amazed to see double volumes of the marvel partworks in WHSmith Paddington - I've picked up a few because of this. Hope Dredd can stay in stores

Skullmo

Quote from: Spikes on 30 March, 2015, 02:57:38 PM
I see over on their facebook page it states that the Cursed Earth is going to be book 8.

It will contain the banned episodes!

Psyche!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Anzati

Quote from: Judge Nutmeg on 28 March, 2015, 01:55:59 PM

According to the blog post it'll be:

Holocaust 12 (54 pages)
Brit-Cit Brute (39 pages)
Wynter (9 pages)
Father Earth (24 pages)
Debris (30 pages)
Warzone (48 pages)

I'm guessing that's everything as it comes to 204 pages :)

Quote from: Skullmo on 30 March, 2015, 04:14:28 PM

Psyche!

...and the colour pages...

Fungus

No need to buy The Cursed Earth for a fourth time (or the Dredd annual reprint backup), but...

more interested in The Heavy Mob. Not familiar with these (from memory), apart from Father Earth.
Is it worth picking this up?

TordelBack

Volume 8 - Fodder's fate.

Running Debris without Payback is an odd choice  - to my mind those two extra episodes give that story its proper weight, not to mention more of the Corps. Better use of paper than Wynter too (despite the nice art). Be interesting to read Warzone again, a useful companion piece to Mandroid.

The Monarch

I am curious now how many pages would calhab justice have in full? Enough for one of these?

Skullmo

Surely Calhab justice would have gone well with Brit Cit Brute!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Judge Nutmeg

Quote from: Anzati on 30 March, 2015, 04:18:35 PM
Quote from: Judge Nutmeg on 28 March, 2015, 01:55:59 PM

According to the blog post it'll be:

Holocaust 12 (54 pages)
Brit-Cit Brute (39 pages)
Wynter (9 pages)
Father Earth (24 pages)
Debris (30 pages)
Warzone (48 pages)

I'm guessing that's everything as it comes to 204 pages :)

Quote from: Skullmo on 30 March, 2015, 04:14:28 PM

Psyche!

...and the colour pages...

cheers