Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio De Fideldo

Although it was very powerful Day of Chaos was such a destructive story for the Meg I can't say I've properly enjoyed any Dredd stories since. Its felt like everything has been dark and serious for too long. Not asking for a funny ha ha story just something that's a bit of an adventure and a romp. Anyone else feel like this?

robert_ellis

The sensitive klegg story reminded me that it's nice to have fun in the Dredd world sometimes...

Rio De Fideldo

Fungus

shaolin_monkey

Frank

Dark Justice, Block Judge, and Breaking Bub were lightweight action adventures and, despite deploying the overused HUGE THREAT TO THE CITY trope, Carroll and Marshall's Cascade was a silly story about Mega-Judges From Space challenging Dredd to a punch-up.

Alec Worley and Leigh Gallagher's End Of The Road, prog 1911 (10th December 2014), features Dredd's bike being destroyed by a dozing OAP in a motorised wheelchair; Dredd fines the couple whose car he lands on for not displaying a valid tax disk. The punchline is the grinning skull of a suicidal pensioner dissolving in acid, which is funnier than any episode of The Vicar Of Dibley

bedlamvr

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 16 September, 2015, 05:43:20 PM
Day of Chaos - wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

On the subject of print quality, the Story So Far page is impossible to read but I'm not too worried about that.

The concluding piece by Molch-R mentions Trifecta, does anyone know if this will be in a forthcoming volume?

Trifecta is (as per Facebook page) issue 24, judgement day 25, then low life; paranoia (?) issue 26

bedlamvr

sheridan

Quote from: bedlamvr on 18 September, 2015, 09:32:29 PM
Trifecta is (as per Facebook page) issue 24, judgement day 25, then low life; paranoia (?) issue 26

MAC is your friend.

The Monarch

I wonder if the judgement day book will include top dogs as an extra

Spikes

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 September, 2015, 10:33:45 AM
Quote from: Tordelback on 16 September, 2015, 06:46:49 PM
Thrilled to see that Endgame has my favourite image of Dredd this century on the cover. Still amazed how a picture of a guy whose unknown face is obscured by a helmet, a respirator and a shadow, and whose body is covered in armour, weaponry and fascist regalia, can so clearly scream utter despair. That, sprogs and squaxxes, is yer actual Art.

Totally agree.

I forget which one of you lucky bastids have the original art for this page. Spikes I think?

A knockout image from a knockout story. For my money, Dredd doesn't get much better than the Day of Chaos. A true modern classic.
I can still recall the goosebumps I got seeing that page in the prog. One of those pages that stops you in your tracks, for sure.

Owning the original art, I was able to supply Pye with a fresh high resolution scan of the Dredd figure. I believe fellow forumite Simeon Brewer was able to do something similar for the Fourth Faction book.
The DoC was the tale that got me buying the prog again every week, so to have been able to help out - even in a small way, means quite a bit to me.

Jade Falcon

It's also Dredd's mood at the end, basically that in his mind, the City he knows is dying.  There's not just the deaths from Day of Chaos itself, it's going to be the disease from corpses still to be gathered, the opportunistic crooks and any factions that take advantage of their situation.

Above it all is the continuing butthurt from East Meg 1 survivors and descendants over the Apocalypse War.  If they hadn't started it, then they wouldn't have got hit with nukes in response.  What did they expect?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

Thanks for the notification on Trifecta. My years in the wilderness mean I've never read it before, just plenty about it on here and elsewhere, so the surprise element is gone, but looking forward to reading it and hopefully understanding some of the rug-pulling from the original publication. Thoughts to follow.

TordelBack

Just to report that my own copy of Endgame seems free of dodgy printing - the 'Story so far...' page is maybe a tiny bit blurry but everything else is as utterly horrific as before. What really strikes me is the insane density of this story, given its length. It just never stops cramming in panels, new and recurring characters (such as -scratch head, look thoughtful - PD-314!) and little horror vignettes, and even when we pause for a splash page it's bursting at the seams with ghastly detail and frequently crucial narration.  The use of Beeny in particular is inspired, seeing this complex competent person who we've known from a toddler struggle on through mounting loss, fatigue and despair is, well, overwhelming.  Astounding body of work, the equal of anything in the strip's history.

Oh, and when do we get Bagwell back on Dredd - he's magnificent, even in such august company.

Wastelands works a treat as an epilogue too, almost a pity it didn't follow straight away in the original progs (no disrespect intended to the stories that did - after all we got Judge Maitland and Sue Perkins Block out of those!).

IndigoPrime

Endgame seems fine here, too. It's Total War that's a bit of a mess. I suspect it's a botched print run, judging by people posting pics on Facebook. Whether it affects the entire run is another matter, but I've asked Hachette to let me know, and I'll report back.