Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davgardo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 January, 2017, 10:28:30 AM
Quote from: seanharry on 29 January, 2017, 02:25:38 AM
They have included some real crap in this collection, yet they are omitting Pirates of the Black Atlantic?
My guess: colour content is being prioritised. Note that in some mixed volumes where it would have made sense to lead with older/b+w material for continuity's sense, they didn't.

But then we've got virtually full volumes of b&w Helltrekkers and Calhab Justice so I don't think that argument stands up at all. A misguided editorial decision to include sub par Dredd Universe stuff above headline classic Dredd strips however.....

Skullmo

I'd rather have a first reprint of cal gab than another reprint of black Atlantic
It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

Indeed - it's a matter of different strokes. As a former Titan and current Casefiles buyer my Mega Collection cherry picking has been for non-Dredd stuff or recent Dredds that the Casefiles won't reach for years (DoC for example). Important though Pirates of the Black Atlantic is, I already have it three or four times. So Devlin, Taxidermist and Banzai Battalion were much more welcome than essential stories like Apocalypse War or Cursed Earth.

robert_ellis

I really enjoyed Helltrekkers - it felt like reading something that could'be been in SCREAM! or New Eagle. I've always loved Ortiz' art on the 13th floor, so his episode was great. There's something about a high bodycount that works well in episodic storytelling. It had the gleeful violence of Zombo's first outing. I love the complicated multi layered storytelling we get now but I'm really not adverse to simpler stuff like this.

Trent

I think Helltrekkers is a superb example of simpler times in comics, a rollicking ride with loads of action and clear linear plotting.

It wouldn't cut the mustard these days but still reads very well indeed.

Re Classic Dredd, I too have the casefiles and various Titan and Hamlyn volumes but I like the themed volumes and getting stories with colour spreads restored is brilliant. The Mega Collection Oz volume is easily the best representation of that story I own, so Pirates with colour DPS - yes please.

Skullmo

I ordered some of the cut price books in the recent sale - 30 days later I'm still waiting for them to arrive and customer services don't seem to know what they are doing  :(
It's a joke. I was joking.

JaHawkDroid

Okay, so maybe a dumb question - if I pick up the Mega Collection (as I have been doing in dribs and drabs over the last few months to get me up to date) what Anderson stories will I be missing? Just discovered the existence of the PSI files and wondering if it's worth getting those as well as the MC Anderson volumes, or if the MC Anderson volumes are pretty much all of it.

Link Prime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 26 January, 2017, 12:18:50 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 26 January, 2017, 08:48:21 AM
Anyone have a full listing for the Heavy Metal Dredd volume?
I'm interested to know if both versions of 'Joe Dredd's Blues' are included.

Listed against issue 53 here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd:_The_Mega_Collection

Neither Joe Dredd's Blues appears though.

Thanks- could be an interesting cherry-pick anyway.
Thumbs up to the editor for including 'The Return of Johnny Biker' too.

EDazzling

The stories in the 5 Psi-Files Volumes that aren't in the 5 Mega-Collection Anderson Volumes are:

Psi-Files Volume 1:
Feature Strips:

Four Dark Judges (This is of course in Mega Collection Volume 6: Judge Death Lives!)

Bonus Strip:
The Haunting

Psi-Files Volume  2:
Feature Strips:

Blythe Spirit

Bonus Strips:
Golem
A Soldier's Tale

Psi-Files Volume 3:
Feature Strips:

Something Wicked
Wonderwall
Crusade
Danse Macabre
Witch
The Great Debate
Lawless

Bonus Strips:
Dear Diary
Colin Wilson Block
Confessions of a She-Devil
Exorcise Duty

Psi-Files Volume 4:
Feature Strips:

Horror Story
Semper Vi

Bonus Strips:
The Most Dangerous Game
Baby Talk
George

Psi-Files Volume 5:
Feature Strips:

Big Robots
Wiierd
Biophyle
The House of Vyle
The Trip
Stone Voices

Bonus Strips:
What If...? Cassandra Anderson Hadn't Become A Judge
Horror Comes To Velma Dinkley

EDazzling

Which I guess for context means that unless you're an absolute completist, then you can skip the first two, the third and fourth ones are about 50/50, and most of Volume five is not in the mega collection.

The Psi-Files are an easier reading experience with the stories printed in (mostly) the right order though, instead of jumping about in the middle there.

robert_ellis

Having really enjoyed Helltrekkers I saved the rest of 'Cursed Earth Carnage' for my commute. City-Def Field Trip is a strong idea but with very good, but mis-matched art. The cute animated style sits uneasily with the story of dinosaurs, zombies and deviantness. It's fine stuff from talented creators though. Sleeze N Ryder is shockingly bad however - it feels like a sub-Toxic rag mag. It's great to see that Garth Ennis and Nick Percival went into much better stuff. This was a new low for me. Great text piece by Molcher & great recolouring on some of Helltrekkers. I guess 3 duff volumes out of 50 or so is a good batting average - I'd still like to hear Matt smith's reasoning for his choices...

JaHawkDroid

Quote from: EDazzling on 30 January, 2017, 12:39:17 PM
Which I guess for context means that unless you're an absolute completist, then you can skip the first two, the third and fourth ones are about 50/50, and most of Volume five is not in the mega collection.

The Psi-Files are an easier reading experience with the stories printed in (mostly) the right order though, instead of jumping about in the middle there.

Thanks - I might pick up the Psi Files just for the sake of completion for Anderson. She's far and away my favourite character from what I've read of the Mega Collection so far (except for Jack Point)

sheridan

Quote from: Trent on 30 January, 2017, 01:39:33 AM
I think Helltrekkers is a superb example of simpler times in comics, a rollicking ride with loads of action and clear linear plotting.

It wouldn't cut the mustard these days but still reads very well indeed.

Personally I'd be happy to see a follow-up story letting us know how the settlers faired (and if Bish and Futura ever found Crustacia).

Trent

Well if the story is any indication, 20 years on they'd all be dead - apart from the Chinese family maybe.

Davgardo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 30 January, 2017, 07:07:02 PM
Having really enjoyed Helltrekkers I saved the rest of 'Cursed Earth Carnage' for my commute. City-Def Field Trip is a strong idea but with very good, but mis-matched art. The cute animated style sits uneasily with the story of dinosaurs, zombies and deviantness. It's fine stuff from talented creators though. Sleeze N Ryder is shockingly bad however - it feels like a sub-Toxic rag mag. It's great to see that Garth Ennis and Nick Percival went into much better stuff. This was a new low for me. Great text piece by Molcher & great recolouring on some of Helltrekkers. I guess 3 duff volumes out of 50 or so is a good batting average - I'd still like to hear Matt smith's reasoning for his choices...

Agree with the Sleeze n Ryder comments: the story hurt my soul and the art hurt my eyes. Why anyone would want to roll that bilge out again is beyond me. Anything would've been better, whether it had any tenuous connection to the volume theme or not.
Beyond that however, I found the other 2 strips an enjoyable read and, like you say, the repro on Helltrekkers was great. Personally, I wouldn't call it a duff volume: there's still only one deserving of that accolade.