Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

One episode of Oz had the centre spread printed with the pages the wrong way round. This wasn't corrected in the Mega Collection.

IndigoPrime

Trent

Magnetica

Quote from: Timothy on 05 March, 2017, 01:16:05 PM
One episode of Oz had the centre spread printed with the pages the wrong way round. This wasn't corrected in the Mega Collection.

Which chapter was that?

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 March, 2017, 02:36:16 PM
Quote from: Timothy on 05 March, 2017, 01:16:05 PM

Which chapter was that?

Part 3 (547), by Will Simpson, Garry Leach, and Dave Elliott. If you buy a digital copy, it can be fixed at the (virtual) click of a button.

Trent

Wikipedia has Missionary Man, Bad Moon Rising as the next volume, along with Tour of Duty: Mutants in Mega City One.

Not sure where the info comes from, there is a brief mention of Missionary Man in April on the Facebook page but no detail.

Really hope we get a proper volume of Missionary Man say up to The Big Sleazy to cover many never before reprinted stories but my fear is that we will get the Quitely stories and a few others as per the existing trade with another batch of Dredd in the Cursed Earth stories as per the first MM book. Really hope I am wrong as MM deserves proper service and JD in the Cursed Earth should have its own book imho.

The book should give a clue as to what we might expect in the 'middle' MM book which really needs to have Promised Land in it.

Then next up is Undercover Brothers with Lenny Zero, Wally Squad and who knows what else? DeMarco? Any ideas?

abelardsnazz

I'm guessing the two remaining Missionary Man volumes will include all the rest of the stories, as we've had/will be getting complete collections of Devlin Waugh, Shimura & Armitage.

On the subject of Armitage, I enjoyed City of the Dead, although it felt a bit odd reading these stories first, as some knowledge of the characters is assumed. Great to see some of John Cooper's work in the collection though, and there's a lovely tribute to him by Molch-R.

And possibly an obscure question, but I want to ask in an attempt to join the dots - is the female assassin who appears in The Mancunian Candidate and The Underground the same one who appeared in the Virgin novel Wetworks and a one-off story, whose name escapes me, that was drawn by Steve Sampson?

Skullmo

Hope all of missionary man is collected - love that series
It's a joke. I was joking.

Davgardo

Enjoyed the Mean Machine release, my only criticism being that its very one note: 'Izzat so?'
Great, varied art with (mostly) decent repro.

It was nice to re-visit The Three Amigos: I'd forgotten that the recently resurrected Pa and Junior made an appearance. Surely the biggest authorial pratfall in John Wagner's career. I take it we just try and pretend that their return from the dead never happened?

I've not tackled the Armitage volume yet. My only memories of Armitage are very vague ones from the early Sean Phillips strips. Should I hang fire for the next volume of earlier stories or should I dive straight in?

Trent

Personally, the Missionary Man book is my favourite volume so far.
Disagree entirely withGordon's assessment of Alex Ronald's art; I think it is atmospheric and works superbly as storty telling comic art.
The partial negative of having a chunk of Dredd att the back was offset by the fact that they were three stone cold Ron Smith classics which could only have been bettered with colour centrespreads for Shanty Town.
There are so many more great Dredd Cursed Earth stories that don't look like they will make the cut but I don't want them at the expense of Missionary Man.

Trent

Just to add to the confusion the official Facebook page has just published the covers for Missionary Man- Treasure of the Sierra Murder and Tour of Duty-MegaCity Justice.
I believe these are the final books in the two trilogies, the second parts of which we are due to receive on the next delivery, unless they have changed their running order, so no idea when we will actually see these.

Tour of Duty credits indicate a good smattering of the Megazine stories that ran at the time and were not included in the Rebellion trades. Excellent news.

The Missionary Man credits and description are more confusing as the stories look to cover the Simon Davis Undertaker run which followed on from the Frank Quitely stories and some of the subsequent one offs.

Begs the question as to what else is going to be in Bad Moon Rising as the chronology is all over the place.
If they include Promised Land I could see the logic with Treasure of the Sierra Murder leading into Goin' South.

Looking forward to see what we get.

EDazzling

Mega City Justice was originally planned to be out on September 27th, and the 13th September slot is currently empty, so it's possible they've teased September's books instead of April's Missionary Man and Tour of Duty books by mistake?

Trent

You may be right. It does feel like a minor cock up when they should be previewing the next two books but any further glimpses and insights are always welcome.
Loving the MM cover by the way.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Davgardo on 08 March, 2017, 09:16:08 AM
I've not tackled the Armitage volume yet. My only memories of Armitage are very vague ones from the early Sean Phillips strips. Should I hang fire for the next volume of earlier stories or should I dive straight in?

I devour each issue as soon as I can after its release, however if you have more patience than me the Armitage stories may read better in order. What I am looking forward to is reading grouped stories in order when the collection is complete. Finding time to do that may be difficult however, given the hopeful full release of the 2000AD collection!

Quote from: Trent on 08 March, 2017, 12:25:30 PM
You may be right. It does feel like a minor cock up when they should be previewing the next two books but any further glimpses and insights are always welcome.
Loving the MM cover by the way.

Ditto. Is it John Ridgway?

Trent

Yup. Not featured in the book I believe but a good image nonetheless.