Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

Great to see the cover of my first Prog (377) used for Mean Machine, and reading Dredd Angel again brought back many happy memories. The rest of the volume is great too, Mean's antics often making me laugh out loud. And an interesting comparison to Jack Point with Mean Streets.

It's not clear on the Wikipedia page where the source of stating the next Missionary Man issue is Bad Moon Rising came from, so I guess it will be Treasure of the Sierra Murder, meaning we'll be getting the stories in reverse order. Oh well.

Tomwe

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 18 March, 2017, 04:31:13 PM
It's 's not clear on the Wikipedia page where the source of stating the next Missionary Man issue is Bad Moon Rising came from, so I guess it will be Treasure of the Sierra Murder, meaning we'll be getting the stories in reverse order. Oh well.

There were <ref> posts on each of the listings until recently when someone decided they weren't needed anymore  ::)

Trent

Yep, official site has Tour of Duty: Mega City Justice as the next book which strongly implies the next book will be Treasure of the Sierra Murder.
Quite why these two trilogies are being released in such a wierd order is beyond me, but 2 very strong books coming in a week or so nonetheless.

JaHawkDroid

The Tour of Duty release order has completely thrown me. I've had the first (second?) ToD book for months now, but not read it because the second (first?) volume isn't in the collection yet.

It's baffling to me.

IndigoPrime

It's nuts, and I hope they don't do this for continuity heavy series in the 2000 AD partwork. (By all means split Armitage/Tour of Duty, but at least release the things in order.)

The Monarch

what threw me off is what should have been the second mm book being the third in spine order its strange

Trent

Latest books turned up today and are much as expected.

MegaCity Justice includes the Meg run of Cursed Earth stories that, while variable in quality, add a depth to the saga and Dredd's plight. Brilliant to have them included at last.
Would have been nice to have Relentless in there too for completeness, not to mention Colin Wilson's sublime art.

Treasure of the Sierra Murder is a similarly satisfying volume featuring unadulterated Missionary Man.
Most of the Meg run is here, bar  the Quitely stories and Marc Wigmore's Mortal Combat.
Presume the 'first' volume will have Quitely, Promised Land, Place of the Dead (192 pages) with question marks over Mortal Combat and Silence, but either way it looks like we will be getting virtually the entire run.
Not a series without some major dips in form but I have long hankered for a collection beyond those reprinted to death.
Very, very happy.

Backing articles are covers in both books, an article on mutants and an, all too brief, interview with Simon Davis whose formative work is featured heavily in the volume.

A great pair of books even if the release order is nuts.

Tombo

Quote from: The Monarch on 12 March, 2017, 07:45:36 PM
i can see the demarco stories showing up in independant operators actually

A couple of pages (and weeks late) but the Demarco stories were reprinted in the Simping Detective volume of the Mega Collection.

The Monarch

Tombo

Quote from: The Monarch on 25 March, 2017, 08:41:48 AM
not all of them

Huh, so they weren't  :-[.  I'd completely forgotten about three entire stories (The Whisperer, Deja Vu, and Damocles).  I guess they could show up in "Independent Operators".

Trent

I always find it surprising how quiet this thread is, given the interest in the series.
Has no one received their books or just have nothing to say?

JaHawkDroid

Quote from: Trent on 26 March, 2017, 08:41:11 AM
I always find it surprising how quiet this thread is, given the interest in the series.
Has no one received their books or just have nothing to say?

I think at this point, there is a small flurry of regular activity when new books come out, then it dies down for a couple weeks until the next flurry. The issue is that we have discussed the contents of the collection to death, and know exactly what's coming up for the most part, so there's very little to discuss beyond opinions of the latest story, and that can turn into a shit-flinging contest very easily for more diversive books, or just a love-in for adored stories.

Just wait until the new Hachette series (hopefully) goes national. Then we'll be discussing the ins and outs of that series, and what could possibly be coming up.

That all said; here's an opinion on a book.
I finally read Wilderlands after much umming and ahhing over it, and was pleasantly surprised by the whole affair. I presume it works better collected than it did on release, but I enjoyed it.

Trent

Of the remaining books we are pretty certain on the contents of about half of them so there is still plently of room for speculation.
Take Independent Operators or Weird Science. As far as I know that is all we have on those books so far.
Other than Lenny Zero and Wally Squad (112 pages combined) what is in the next book?
Add to that 3 or 4 volumes we don't even have titles for, only the vaguest idea based on where they fall in the collection and I would say there is plenty to talk about.
Far more than I would expect at this stage.

Apologies if this comes over as preachy or overly anal, had a rough chemo last time and have spent far too much time the past week in bed contemplating my navel.

TordelBack

That'd be more than enough to make anyone cranky, Trent, but actually your question is perfectly reasonable.  For myself, I'm getting volumes as they surface in the newsagents, still cherry-picking, so I'm often coming to these a fortnight or month after you subbers. I do try to comment on each volume I get, but I'm only now working through the last stories in the Armitage volume, skipping the Mean Machine, and waiting on MC Justice. 

On that note, I'm pleased to have got the Armitage volume, and the stories definitely work better in collected form than I remember, but in the middle of the volume I suspect that's because the Parkhouse-drawn procedurals go on and on and on and it's easier to get through them in one chunk than it was in the original publication schedule.  Despite an obvious attempt to get back the Morse side of the inspiration I'm afraid the plots aren't really worth the page count.

On the MC Justice volume front, do we get the Christmas stories? 

Mute77

Could anyone tell me if the john ridgway missionary man story called "place of the dead" has been collected yet? Id love to re-read that one..