Main Menu

Case Files or Mega Collection: Which one should I go with?

Started by Dodsy, 27 January, 2015, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Mmmm. Having decided I wasn't going for a 4th(?) copy of Shamballa I'm sort of reconsidering now - I can always pass the other collections on.  It's not a very long story, so if page count and artist-focus is maintained between volumes this could be a very desirable Ranson-heavy hardback. I do love Ranson's bricolage approach to drawing MC-1, where 'the future' is often signified by random articles of clothing being primary colours and overly complicated traffic lights.

But Tharg! Be warned! I am DEFINITELY not paying for Raptaur again, so his appearance better be by way of The Simping Detective. Thrice was enough there.

TordelBack

Further musings. After a lifetime of muttering 'I already have it in the progs in the attic', I wonder is 5 times a sort of magic number for buying comics material. I buy it in the Prog/Meg, then I buy it again almost accidentally in some digest form (Best of, Meg floppy, old annual, Meg internal reprint etc), then maybe in some 'complete' chronological reprinting (Titan, Case files, TPB series) just to be tidy, then I take a deep breath and go for one last* themed hardback full colour version, with extras. The next (5th) purchase will presumably be the full digital archive. But no more Malibu Staceys for me after that, new hat be damned.

*Ahahahahah

IndigoPrime

On Shamballa, the count is, according to Barney, 62 pages. Molch said these collections will average around 200, so that's a lot of extra content to include. Whether it'll be Ranson or not, who knows? (Even adding Satan to the mix would leave a third of the volume to fill.)

As for the list in general, I've no doubt there's going to be some crap lurking in the mix, on the basis of my tastes, but the package looks so good on the whole. Also, it's not like Matt Smith tends to have bad taste, judging by his helming the Prog and Meg for bloody ages now. I might not like everything he commissions, but there's a reason my sub hasn't lapsed since he took over.

I, Cosh

On the one hand, Shamballa is one of my all time favourite stories. On the other, I already have it in the Psi Files. On the other other, not everyone has and I don't need to buy it. At least it's not Judge Death Lives again, eh? Oh...
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Ha! You can bet all the Bolland stuff will be getting another outing in this collection!

Silent_Bomber

Are there many details available about what is getting a release?

I saw "Mad City" written in one of the adverts somewhere which got my hopes up for an Oola Blint collection, but after seeing the talk about there being a ~200 pages requirement I'm starting to think that may be unlikely.

Also worried about a Necropolis Hardback not including "Tale of the Deadman" for similar reasons.

The things on my wishlist would be, essentially, "The Complete PJ Maybe" but with "Gingerbread" added in, I would buy the hell out of that one, an Oz one, and a complete Necropolis+Tale one.

If they branch out I'd be interested in Missionary Man themed ones.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 January, 2015, 11:33:10 AM
Ha! You can bet all the Bolland stuff will be getting another outing in this collection!

And rightly so.  It's bloody good.  Not the wider public's fault that we all have enough editions of those pages to paper our houses and still leave a reading copy, a lending copy and an 'archival' copy.

Cyber-Matt

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 28 January, 2015, 01:38:47 AM
Matt Smith is 2000AD's greatest editor so I believe this collection will be nothing but quality.

I'll make sure to remind everyone of this at every opportunity.

TordelBack

Quote from: Cyber-Matt on 28 January, 2015, 01:23:26 PM
Quote from: Zenith 666 on 28 January, 2015, 01:38:47 AM
Matt Smith is 2000AD's greatest editor so I believe this collection will be nothing but quality.

I'll make sure to remind everyone of this at every opportunity.

I wouldn't say that in Tharg's hearing.  He's the jealous type of god.

glassstanley

Fingers crossed that Hell Trekkers makes it in there...  :P

Zenith 666

I Still haven't forgiven Tharg for the Vector 13 debacle.Matts credibilities going to be in tatters when the news breaks about Witch World book 2 coming this summer.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 January, 2015, 01:15:42 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 January, 2015, 11:33:10 AM
And rightly so.  It's bloody good.  Not the wider public's fault that we all have enough editions of those pages to paper our houses and still leave a reading copy, a lending copy and an 'archival' copy.
To be fair, I'm not going to complain about having those stories again, in such a nice format. If anything, the MC is going to find me offloading a lot of older trades on to eBay.

Robes

I managed to miss the first issue of this however I've picked up the latest on, does anyone know where I can get the first issue now? Gutted.

Apestrife

Similarly to how I hope Necropolis will collect Letter to Judge Dredd,  I really hope Shamballa collects Leviathan's Farewell! Wouldn't mind if it did.