Main Menu

My Awesome Millennium Falcon Build Thread!

Started by hippynumber1, 08 February, 2015, 05:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

This is interesting; as the build has been progressing people have been highlighting details on the original filming prop that have been missed by the manufacturers of this model. This has just been posted on the build forum:

Dear Participants to this thread,

De Agostini would like to again thank you for your patience in this matter.

In light of the extra greeblies highlighted after the first set was brought to our attention, we can now confirm that we will be providing all but the very last greeble, the one which is highlighted but not arrowed.

We are now in discussions with the manufacturer as to what the production time will be on these pieces and will update in due course. We understand that it can be frustrating having to wait for the final details, and we are doing our utmost to expedite this process.

Once the parts are manufactured, we will send them out in a special pack, not issue, which will of course be free of charge to all participants in the build. Details will follow once the packs have been put together.

Regards,

De Agostini Admin

IndigoPrime

Mattofthespurs

One of those times when I'm actually glad to be 25 issues behind.
Nice of them to sort it out though.

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mardroid

Wow.  Very nice. I wonder if they'll have the wing open mechanism fitted? ( Do you remember how you'd do that by pressing R2s head on the old toy? )

Those glass cube crafts 'free gifts' look pretty nifty too.

hippynumber1

Word is that the wings are motorised, that R2 is removeable and rotates when in the socket, the landing legs are retractable and the cockpit is fully lit. And it's huge!

Mattofthespurs

This thread has gone very quiet.
Just started my build.
My fingers are too fat for these screws.  :-\

Dandontdare

magnetic screwdriver is your answer - I always had trouble with fiddly screws until I got one of these (or actually until a friend just magnetised a normal one) - pop the screw on the head and insert with the screwdriver

Mardroid

If you tap the screwdriver against something hard (not someone's head) it will cause the screwdriver to become magnetised. I think its just for a temporary period, and it's pretty weak but it may work long enough to tighten the screws into place.

I used the magnetism trick to get screws out of awkward places, like the inside of a computer chassis. In hindsight, considering the issues of exposing microchip components to an electric field,.that probably wasn't a good idea. Thankfully there was no harm done.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 March, 2017, 07:31:14 PM
magnetic screwdriver is your answer - I always had trouble with fiddly screws until I got one of these (or actually until a friend just magnetised a normal one) - pop the screw on the head and insert with the screwdriver

Thankfully they supply a magnetic screwdriver with the second issue and it helps enormously but it's still incredibly fiddly.
Having to really take my time.
Started yesterday and did the first seven issues.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 15 March, 2017, 06:20:27 PM
This thread has gone very quiet.
Just started my build.
My fingers are too fat for these screws.  :-\

Sorry, just waiting for the opportunity to finish painting the upper-hull. I tried to post some pics yesterday but the image sharer I use was down; I'll try again later.

Also, fiddley little bastards!  >:(

Mattofthespurs

I must say I'm enjoying the R2-D2 build more.
Up to issue 8 on that one.

hippynumber1

Also, Imgur has changed into some kind of second-rate popularity contest and I can't figure out how to embed photos here from it anymore. Bloody annoying bastards!