Main Menu

In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream...

Started by JOE SOAP, 19 February, 2015, 12:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Zenith 666

Beat me too it soap.adored District nine and Elysium he's got a great eye for visuals and that exosuit in district was like a wet dream for me.

radiator

Interesting.

From the looks of the concept art he posted a while back it seems as though he's doing a direct sequel to Aliens - one that retcons Alien 3 and Resurrection out of existence.

Now this sounds like an Alien film I can get behind, I just hope they get a decent script. (I am still convinced that Prometheus 2 will never happen, no matter what they say).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: radiator on 19 February, 2015, 01:36:01 AM
Interesting.

From the looks of the concept art he posted a while back it seems as though he's doing a direct sequel to Aliens - one that retcons Alien 3 and Resurrection out of existence.

Now this sounds like an Alien film I can get behind, I just hope they get a decent script. (I am still convinced that Prometheus 2 will never happen, no matter what they say).

Well if done well I could certainly live with that!

Zenith 666

I liked Alien 3 but no movie can retcon the disaster that was Resurrection out of existence.

GordonR

Quote from: radiator on 19 February, 2015, 01:36:01 AM
Interesting.

So the Alien franchise equivalent of Superman Returns?  There's a good portent.

I just don't want anymore Ripley/Sigourney Weaver.  That story should be done. 

(I thought it was incredibly dumb that the recent Alien Isolation game had a main character who had to be Ripley's daughter,.)

wedgeski

If this news had come just after District 9, I'd be reacting differently. Prometheus wouldn't have been announced and then disappointed me so much. Elysium would yet to have proved itself to be so terrible. I'd have been excited, giddy even.

Now, not so much.

However, the guy can direct and has a flair for the epic. His plan does seem to revolve around retconning everything after Aliens, which I can get behind, given the bone-headed decision-making that killed off everyone except Ripley before the credits had even rolled in Alien 3.

Who knows? This may prove to be the continuation of the Alien universe that Prometheus failed to deliver.

Link Prime

I'm a huge fan of Alien & Aliens, and would love to see what Blomkamp could come up with.

Alien 3 was actually a pretty good film, just a disappointment in comparison to its predecessors.
Alien Resurrection; not so good, but I think I'm physically incapable of disliking anything co-starring Ron Perlman.
Prometheus; visually sumptuous with some fine ideas and performances, just terribly executed.
Alien Vs Predator 1+2; Ok and quite, quite poor respectively.

If Blomkamp's direction contradicts any or all of these, I wouldn't mind a whole lot.

For me, some of the best stories set in the Alien universe were in the early Dark Horse comics (some of which also had a different post-Aliens continuity).

And in contrast to Gordon Rennie's (and also my best mates) opinion; I thought using Ripley's daughter Amanda as the protagonist in Alien Isolation was a great idea.
The game could have worked with a new, unconnected character, but for me, the 'personal connection' was a nice touch.

Here's one reason why; http://youtu.be/EXrAeQ0SV4A (NB- SPOILER, if you haven't played it yet).

Tiplodocus

I'm all ALIENed out.  There's 2 good movies out of 7 involving them.  That's not a good hit rate.

And never mind that "Ripley's story is done", those two movies really told me all I needed to know about the aliens themselves; the rest can be left to viewer's imagination. I don't need everything explained to me in fine detail.

And I didn't really rate District 9 - though it should have been just my cup of tea.

So more like: In space, no one can hear you shit.

And here comes the hypocritical bit:
- If somebody made a movie of that first Dark Horse (?) Aliens vs. Predator comic, it'd be great. I remember liking that. (Though I may be misremembering)
- I'll probably still go see it though 'cos, you know, big science fiction movies are great at the cinema even when they are crap.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

I like Alien 3, and think it would be a shame to nuke it from continuity, and if the new film can't fit into the continuity then it'll never quite sit well for me, it'll always be a spin-off/alternate universe thing which I'll never be fully invested in.

Saying that, if he sets it after Aliens then he can probably do whatever he wants as long as he can get Ripley, a young girl and a man into those cryo tubes by the end (unless I'm mis-remembering and the Sulaco DEFINITELY went straight to Fiorina after the events of Aliens, could be scope to add some adventures in-between).

Richmond Clements

QuoteIf somebody made a movie of that first Dark Horse (?) Aliens vs. Predator comic, it'd be great. I remember liking that. (Though I may be misremembering)

You're not - it was a great comic and still holds up.

Goaty

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 February, 2015, 12:37:29 PM
QuoteIf somebody made a movie of that first Dark Horse (?) Aliens vs. Predator comic, it'd be great. I remember liking that. (Though I may be misremembering)

You're not - it was a great comic and still holds up.

I agree too, awesome graphic novel!

Professor Bear

The problem with the Alien franchise for me is that it continued to take itself far too seriously after becoming palpably daft with Alien 3 and Resurrection.  I would have welcomed it if the franchise stopped being so sullen and openly took a deliberate swerve into self-awareness and became something like the first Tremors movie (but with Aliens instead of giant worms).

The Colonial Marines game made a point of shitting on the 3rd and 4th Alien movies, too, but it might have been a dream or something by the end as I got bored and stopped playing at some sneaking bit.

radiator

The potential pitfall with this new movie is that it looks a bit fan-servicey, like it's 'the sequel to Aliens (you think) you want'.

Say what you want about Alien 3, at least it did the complete opposite of what people were expecting.

Professor Bear

That's not really a plus if most people expected "a film that isn't shite."

It's also arguable that if something's a sequel, the whole point of making it is to service fans of the original.  I don't know who said it, but there's a quote about the Friday the 13th movies being perfect sequels because they made the same film 9 times over and gave fans exactly what they wanted.