Main Menu

Usagi Yojimbo thread

Started by Hawkmumbler, 30 May, 2015, 07:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Well, I've finally started to read Stan Sakai's master work, Usagi Yojimbo. Proper, that is, after the Senso mini series of last year. #145 was a tasty starting point and immensely enjoyable but I still want to get into the back catalogue as soon as humanly possible. Only thing is, their seem to be rather a lot of collected editions (28, I believe?) and a great many different editions. So, which is the best place to start? The single TBP's or the omnibus editions?

radiator

Dunk!

Go with the fat omnibus editions.

I've been reading Usagi for 26+yrs and it's worth the effort to get the development of his story interwoven with some truly great adventure arches.

Dragon Bellow Conspiracy, Lone Goat & Kid, Seasons, Grasscutter (1&2), Demon Mask and Duel at Kitanoji are all great individual books if you just wanna pick randomly though.

Enjoy. I kinda envy someone just starting down this road.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

IndigoPrime

It's worth noting with Usagi Yojimbo that the trades are split between two publishers: Fantagraphics (the first seven trades) and Dark Horse (eight onwards). Therefore, the first Dark Horse 'Saga' collection is actually book 8–10; number 2 is 11–13; and so on. So you really need to be reading all the Fantagraphics stuff first, for the full story. It looks like they're relaxing a monster 1160-page two-volumne paperback set in September, if you don't want to hunt down all of the individual trades.

And, yeah, I agree with Dunk! This is a superb series, and one it'd be lots of fun to start with at page one. (For me, only the Hellboy world really comes close for such a consistently compelling ongoing series.)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 May, 2015, 10:31:09 AM
It's worth noting with Usagi Yojimbo that the trades are split between two publishers: Fantagraphics (the first seven trades) and Dark Horse (eight onwards). Therefore, the first Dark Horse 'Saga' collection is actually book 8–10; number 2 is 11–13; and so on. So you really need to be reading all the Fantagraphics stuff first, for the full story. It looks like they're relaxing a monster 1160-page two-volumne paperback set in September, if you don't want to hunt down all of the individual trades.

And, yeah, I agree with Dunk! This is a superb series, and one it'd be lots of fun to start with at page one. (For me, only the Hellboy world really comes close for such a consistently compelling ongoing series.)
Aaaaahhhhh! Well that explains a lot then! Righty ho, it might be a herty investment but as a week early birthday present thats a lot of comic for my money. One would assume such a large paperback would still require a cardboard sleeve anyway. But blimey thats a handsome collection.

Thanks everyone for the overwhleming positive reccomendations, did anyone else check out Senso? What was the consensus, I really enjoyed it as a mini but hopefully it'll read even better as a collection.

radiator

I got the hardback version of that two volume fantagraphics set a few years back for £10 from a library sale. It was brand new but had superficial damage to the inside cover. Score!

Ancient Otter

Definitely do not go for the single Dark Horse volumes as a lot of them are out of print. I got up as far as the mid-teens and I started finding the volumes I was looking for next are out of print so I'll have to invest in the Saga collections.

Dunk!

Read the Senso mini-series over the weekend and it was a massive disappointment.

For the first time in reading Usagi I don't recommend a book in the series

Thought I was gettin his Alamo with the 15yr hike forward in time but got some lukewarm War of the Worlds rehash instead.

Read everything bar this.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Colin YNWA

Oh Yojimbo
You keep avoiding me
I ain't got into
your seeming universal appeal
Oh Yojimbo

Ever since getting back into comics 13(ish) years ago now I've consistency heard nothing but good things about this comic. Yet like so many others (see Preacher, Transmetropolitan etc etc) it keeps slipping under my radar.

There's just too many good comics out there! This one does need to be investigated at some point. 

Hawkmumbler

Well i've ordered that massive special edition due in soetember, the real question now is do I dive straight into the Saga volumes or just wait until I have the early material read....

And i'll reciprocate Colin's frustration/delight. So many comics, so little money.

IndigoPrime

Hawk: I'd have a tendency to wait. The Fantagraphics stuff sets up the world, and unlike, say, Dredd, it's pretty much fully-formed from the get-go.

Colin: I have some major-series gaps here, too, although I've read the two you mentioned. Preacher's one of those for me that is on the cusp of "sell all the trades", but I liked it enough on the last re-read to keep them. Transmetropolitan never really clicked with me, though, despite me being a jobbing journo, although the setting is nicely bonkers, and the writing is strong. (Well, it's Ellis, so you'd expect that.)

If you fancy a punt, I'd be happy to offload my entire trade collection (mostly in good nick, although two of the lot I bought off eBay were ex-library, so you'd need to replace them if keeping the series long-term) at cost (40 quid, say) + postage. Let me know if you're interested. (Although we're having house renovations at the mo', so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can actually get to the box they're stored in.)

JamesC

I've been reading some Usagi Yojimbo as a result of this thread and I have to say that so far my reaction is 'meh'.
It may change and I'll stick with it for a bit but the whole thing just feels a bit rambling and lacking in substance. The art is nice (but not mind blowing or anything) but the plots and dialogue seem sort of...functional.

Skullmo

Has Space Usagi ever been collected?
It's a joke. I was joking.

shaolin_monkey

I got the War of the Worlds crossover the other day.  Haven't finished it yet, but so far it's a bit 'meh'.  I shall report back once it is complete.

Hawkmumbler

Oh you silly fools! Sendo was a great fun 'What If' tale. I really enjoyed it.

Still need to get around to buying the HC though...