Main Menu

learning a language

Started by sheridan, 09 July, 2015, 01:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 July, 2015, 01:15:09 AM
Amsterdam, for around a week. (Possibly travelling outside, as well.)

I'm going to be in Amsterdam for a few days from Saturday 25th - will you still be there?

Mardroid

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 July, 2015, 09:32:25 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 14 July, 2015, 01:15:09 AM
Amsterdam, for around a week. (Possibly travelling outside, as well.)

I'm going to be in Amsterdam for a few days from Saturday 25th - will you still be there?

Yes I'm travelling back on 28th!

Dandontdare

ha, me too!

I'll PM you my phone number - text me or give me a call and we'll meet up for a beer.

SuperSurfer

Check out Lambiek you folks visiting Amsterdam. Last time I was there they had a massive Slaine display. I think the original owner passed away a few years ago. Had the feel of an old style bookshop. Good to see a comic shop so unlike what we are used to in UK. They had a Bisley section. All it contained was a Dutch language version of Judge Dredd America. I'm not selling it am I? Worth checking out though.

von Boom

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 14 July, 2015, 07:55:50 PM
Check out Lambiek you folks visiting Amsterdam. Last time I was there they had a massive Slaine display. I think the original owner passed away a few years ago. Had the feel of an old style bookshop. Good to see a comic shop so unlike what we are used to in UK. They had a Bisley section. All it contained was a Dutch language version of Judge Dredd America. I'm not selling it am I? Worth checking out though.

I'm in Amsterdam for a couple of days in September. I'll try and check it out.

sheridan

I've seen the website (especially useful for finding out a little more about all those at-the-time anonymous European artists who worked on the early years of 2000AD).  If I ever find myself in Amsterdam I'll have to go to the shop (museum?)

Dandontdare

Check out Lambiek you folks visiting Amsterdam.

Just been reading up on this.

I didn't visit Amsterdam till I was 35 and my reaction was "FFS, why didn't I come here before this?"

I've been back many times since, and I'm now thinking the same about this comic shop/gallery - "why did I never find this place before?"

It's now on my list, along with all the big galleries that were unfortunately shut for renovation last time I came. (and the few of my favourite coffee shops that have survived the ongoing municipal cull)

SuperSurfer

First time I went to Lambiek was 1986 for a student field trip. We stayed on the same street a few doors away at the Hans Brinker (proudly budget) hotel. Exactly opposite the hotel was a gallery which had an exhibition of paintings by Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart). Perfect.

Dandontdare

Back from my Amsterdam, had a great time. Met up with Mardroid to talk comics'n'stuff over a steak and a few beers. Weather was awful with lashing rain on and off all weekend and trees coming down on the Saturday.

Tracked down that Lambiek shop - amazing place with an almost random organisational structure - just stacks and shelves of comics everywhere. Hardly any 2000ad, and very little DC/Marvel outside of European translations, but  loads of really fascinating stuff. Very friendly owner, made me a coffee as soon as I stepped in. Anyone who's planning a return trip should check the location though as they're moving soon apparently.

I also managed my usual Amsterdam trick, which is setting off along a canal thinking I'm going one way when I'm actually going the opposite way and thus walking halfway across the city.

von Boom

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 July, 2015, 08:26:01 AM
Back from my Amsterdam, had a great time. Met up with Mardroid to talk comics'n'stuff over a steak and a few beers. Weather was awful with lashing rain on and off all weekend and trees coming down on the Saturday.

Tracked down that Lambiek shop - amazing place with an almost random organisational structure - just stacks and shelves of comics everywhere. Hardly any 2000ad, and very little DC/Marvel outside of European translations, but  loads of really fascinating stuff. Very friendly owner, made me a coffee as soon as I stepped in. Anyone who's planning a return trip should check the location though as they're moving soon apparently.

I also managed my usual Amsterdam trick, which is setting off along a canal thinking I'm going one way when I'm actually going the opposite way and thus walking halfway across the city.

Do you have an address for for Lamiek shop DDD?

Dandontdare

yup, it's: Kerkstraat 132, 1017 GP Amsterdam (not far from Leidsepelin). Their website: https://www.lambiek.net/

The owner wasn't sure where they were moving to or when , but I got the impression it was this year sometime.

von Boom

Cheers for the address Dan. :)

As long as they don't move before September I'm good.

Edit: I just checked out their google maps location and they're not far from where I'll be staying in the canal region. Sweet.

Mardroid

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 July, 2015, 08:26:01 AM

It was nice to meet you!

The weather was sunny at the start of the week. Your timing was unfortunate!  :lol:

von Boom

Returned from Amsterdam yesterday and I took the time to check out Lambiek.

They were packing in ernest, but the first thing they did when I came in was offer me a coffee, which was great, and we chatted while they helped me make some choices. I picked up a couple of Dutch language book for my father-in-law to read to his grandkids. He'll be happy, but the kids probably won't be. :)

I could have easily spent a couple of days there.

Thanks for the recommendation of this place SuperSufer (and DDD and Mandroid). Cheers.

Mardroid

I'm slightly ashamed to say I never actually visited the comic shop while I was in Amsterdam. I did consider it though. I think the idea that everything would likely be in Dutch put me off, but from the descriptions above, I get the impression it was worth a visit.

As far as learning languages is concerned, I have been learning dutch using the DuoLingo app.

Quite fun, and it was actually sinking in! I confess I haven't used it for a week or two, and I've forgotten a bit now, (so I will likely have to revise a bit) but it made me realise, if you learn the right way and stick at it, it will work. I felt that I didn't really have a gift for languages (and I probably don't) but I think it was the boredom factor and lack of patience that was the main problem.

Duolingo isn't perfect. It could do with providing some explanation here and there, but you can get that with a bit of Googling. It is fun to use and, as I said, it seems to be working. (Sure I have forgotten stuff now, but that's my own fault for taking a couple of weeks off.)