Main Menu

The House of Daemon out now!

Started by maryanddavid, 09 July, 2015, 07:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Woolly on 30 July, 2015, 11:41:47 AM
The House Of Daemon turned up last week, just got a chance to read it.
I'm sure I don't need to cover how lovely this collection looks, or just how incredible the reproduction is.
Top marks again for presentation.
The story is classic Wagner & Grant, and the art... Ortiz's work is at an all-time high on this. Just jaw-droppingly beautiful.

A truly essential purchase this one, here's a handy link - buy it!
http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/store/products/the-house-of-daemon/

Delighted you're happy with it :) Ortiz's work is just brilliant here, and while I enjoy Tower King and Thorn is a bit of a guilty pleasure, I think it's the best of the three greyscale strips he did for Eagle. Of course, his work on Thirteenth Floor and Survival (eat yer heart out, The Walking Dead!) is lovely, but those three greywash strips were something else.

TordelBack

Skullmo, that Redondo commission is quite staggeringly good.

Skullmo

Quote from: TotalHack on 02 August, 2015, 03:14:42 PM
Skullmo, that Redondo commission is quite staggeringly good.

Isn't it! I was blown away!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Prodigal2

One of the guys at Forbidden Planet Belfast just posted on my wall that they are now stocking this after I paraded Hibernia's past efforts around the joint. They love it.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Colin YNWA

I'm on my hols, but thought I'd stop by to add to the praise for this book. Read it last night and it turns out I had read it before. In the past it clearly didn't have an impact on the too level of my befuddled mind. Re-read all those years later so much of it was buried in my lower brain it was untrue. I think as a young lad reading Eagle I just didn't appreciate how much fun this was. I certainly didn't appreciate Jose Ortiz work the way I do now. Astonishing stuff really bringing to life a fine tail.

The product is what you've come to expect from Hibernia of late. Its a joy to own and the design and production is absolutely first rate.

My only criticism of this glorious company is that they've not produced more Doomlord and thats just me whining cos I can't accept not getting want I what in life! Thanks again fellas for all the work that goes into producing this quite superb collections.

maryanddavid

Thanks Colin, delighted you like it. There are some real gems hidden away in these old comics. I'd love to do more Doomlord, we will see what the future brings.
Design and production is firmly at Richard's feet, the covers especially I think he has a real eye for.
I did get some copies into the Forbidden Planet International shops, hopefully that will go well.

Cheers!

shaolin_monkey

I saw this in the Cardiff Forbidden Planet the other day - mid-shelf, front of shop! Good positioning. I hope it goes to an appreciative home.

Colin YNWA

I suspect we've filled our boots in these parts BUT if anyone hasn't yet there's a great sale on from Hibernia right now. If you buy Houise of Daemon (or Dracula Files for that matter) you can get Baker's Half Dozen half price. All three are superb so if you haven't dipped your toes into this particular comics oasis yet this is the perfect time to do so.

http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/

They still have their Doomlord books for the insanely reasonable 2.50 - its my favourite of the lot and its probably the fact that MaryandDavid can't even shift the back stock at this brilliant price that means I'm not get the next Doomlord volume I keep whining for! I blame anyone who doesn't own this quite brilliant book for this and this making my life a barren wasteland of misery.

Hope the sale is cos Baker's Half Dozen hasn't sold well and just to clear out space for more lovely new Hibernia products. Release for release their is a publisher with a hit rate as high as them, by some distance!

maryanddavid

Ta Colin, and while Bakers didn't set the world on fire, it held its own.
Its more an exercise in making room! I recently bough a collection of 1000+ british comic, with loads of Ken Reid material, priceless stuff. I am looking out for the mythical Ken Reid strip that was proposed for 2000 AD.

According to Pat Mills

'A few weeks before 2000AD was due to go to press, I learnt that there was a brilliant Ken Reid cartoon strip he had produced for a dummy that had never been published!!! The same managing editor thought it was disgusting and condemned it to the vaults.  It concerned the hideous mutant survivor of a nuclear war who had a horrible "thing" on his back and every week he would try and kill himself.  But each week the thing on his back would prevent him.  So if he jumped off a cliff, the thing would turn into a propeller and fly him to safety etc.  You can just imagine how Ken would have drawn it!  How deliciously foul and what a wonderful antidote to all those saccharine strips in Whoopee! et al.  Just what I needed for the back cover of 2000AD.  I had 100 per cent power to do what I wanted with 2000AD, so I requisitioned the strip from the vaults. But the old regime told me that it had mysteriously "disappeared" and could not be found. Yeah, right.'

Most ideas were reused, so I am (foolishly) hopeful of someday finding it in a 'Creepy Creation' or some such in one of the humour comics.
I am hopeful of getting at least one more out before Christmas, two if the stars align.

The books will be on offer for the next few days, so now's the chance!

maryanddavid

Down to the last box of The House of Daemon, get it while you still can at http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/
I have put a sample of the clean up work Richard did on the artwork on Facebook if any one fancy's a gander. https://www.facebook.com/HiberniaComics/photos/a.335130923265078.72609.327287150716122/766916260086540/?type=1&theater

maryanddavid

There is still time to order Hibernia's titles from the on-line shop (linky!)

Orders up to the 18th sould be in time for Ireland,UK and Europe, 11th for North America.

Any orders got after the 18th will not be sent out until after Christmas.

A work of thanks to all on the forum for the support, reviews, tweets and FB likes.

Thanks too for the advice on the more technical aspects of reproduction, snippets of info, and scan of old 'Zines, you know who you are!
To Rebellion as well for not minding me plugging here occasionally!

Happy Christmas!

Prodigal2

Quote from: maryanddavid on 09 December, 2015, 11:07:58 PM
There is still time to order Hibernia's titles from the on-line shop (linky!)

Orders up to the 18th sould be in time for Ireland,UK and Europe, 11th for North America.

Any orders got after the 18th will not be sent out until after Christmas.

A work of thanks to all on the forum for the support, reviews, tweets and FB likes.

Thanks too for the advice on the more technical aspects of reproduction, snippets of info, and scan of old 'Zines, you know who you are!
To Rebellion as well for not minding me plugging here occasionally!

Happy Christmas!

And a happy Christmas to you as well fella! Thank you for all your brilliant material of the last year. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Prodigal2 on 11 December, 2015, 10:40:42 AM

And a happy Christmas to you as well fella! Thank you for all your brilliant material of the last year. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Yeah well said. Maryanddavid thanks so much for all the work and effort I assume you put into producing the books. I simply love them and I'm really grateful for what you have achieved. I do wonder how much you've inspired Rebellion's own foray into publishing other material.

Mind I'm gutted to see you still have some Doomlord's left, even after you had it on sale for a crazy cheap price a while ago. Probably puts pay to me ever getting more! If any of you folks haven't bought this yet you really, really REALLY should its bloody brilliant!

maryanddavid

Thanks! While there is immediate plans for a Doomlord collection, I will have a new title next year which will contain some Doomlord goodness.
A lot of work does go into the books Colin, but I cant take all the credit. Amstor of these parts does a lot of the heavy lifting, with art restoration, (fantastic) cover design etc.