Main Menu

The House of Daemon out now!

Started by maryanddavid, 09 July, 2015, 07:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

New cash card has arrived, and this is now ordered!

Thanks for the bit of insight into the work you do Amstor, I just hope you know how appreciated your work is.
Marvellous stuff!

Tjm86

Arrived today.  Perfect timing.  Last day of term, perfect treat.

First glance, this is nicely done.  First purchase from Hibernia and this is professionally done. Reproduction is crisp and clear.  It truly does credit to Ortiz' artwork.  Well worth the money, thanks guys.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 17 July, 2015, 07:15:21 PM
Arrived today.  Perfect timing.  Last day of term, perfect treat.

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Got mine also*. Once again, a superb reproduction by M&D and Amstor. Just a beautiful book bu all accounts, now sitting comfortably between The Tower King and Doomlord, where it belongs.

*Sorry Jim.  :P

The Amstor Computer

Woolly - no worries! David's said this before elsewhere and I agree: these are stories that stand up and that deserve to be seen again. With that in mind I'm glad to be able to help him out on the books, and I'm happy that people are enjoying them.

Tjm86 & Hawkmonger - great to hear yours have arrived and that you're happy with them!

Jim - My copy is on its way, so I'm in the same boat  :)

glassstanley

My copy arrived yesterday but I've been so tired I only noticed it on the mat this morning!

Another excellent publication from Hibernia. I appreciate the effort that's gone into the cleaning up of the scans. There's a nice attempt to do something different with the double page spread that starts the story that shows how much thought has gone into the book. The end-note is interesting too.

One thing that worried me about the house - where did the furniture go to when the floor slid back to reveal the swimming pool? I don't think the designers thought that through!

The Amstor Computer

Ha! Yes, Elliot's design for Villa Cassandra is... novel  :) The bit that always tickles me when I'm reading is the cost of the property - you'd barely get a nice little two-bedroom for that now, never mind a sprawling clifftop mansion!

The end note was something included after Jim was kind enough to help with identifying the letterers and he spotted that there was at least one other person lettering parts of the final episode. The unknown hand and that peculiar final panel suggested some kind of editorial fiddling, perhaps to soften it a little bit, as the natural "beat" to end on feels like it's in the penultimate panel. The last panel seems like it should just be a clear shot of the house and the footsteps leading away down the hill. David spoke to everyone involved with the story that he could reach before it went to print but no-one could confirm whether there had been any changes, so the little note was included just to point out the incongruity.

That opening DPS was a cracker, and interesting to work with. It was scanned in multiple sections, then reassembled and matched for line and greywash tone and given all the usual clean-up, then the whole thing needed chopped in two again for setting for print! There's a little fiddle to get it to run as smoothly as possible over the two pages (thanks to PYE-01 for advice there!) which was a first, as all of the previous Hibernia reprints have been single pages with no spreads. A real learning experience!

Woolly

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 17 July, 2015, 10:00:17 PM
...these are stories that stand up and that deserve to be seen again.

I couldn't agree more.
It says a lot that I consider most Rebellion GNs too pricey, or just too recent in my memory and give them a miss, whereas Hibernia releases are always must-buy products.

Now, please tell me that you are working on a complete Monster collection...  ;)

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Woolly on 18 July, 2015, 05:43:26 PMI couldn't agree more.
It says a lot that I consider most Rebellion GNs too pricey, or just too recent in my memory and give them a miss, whereas Hibernia releases are always must-buy products.

Now, please tell me that you are working on a complete Monster collection...  ;)

Glad they're must-buys :) David's picked some crackers for reprinting, and introduced me to some I'd never read - Baker's Half-Dozen was a lovely surprise and great fun.

Monster would be brilliant, but I think that one's a bit tied up so it might not be available - I think David might be able to give you more info. There are a few requested strips that are a bit difficult to secure for reprint, but I know David keeps on working on those so perhaps one day!

Woolly

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 19 July, 2015, 03:50:54 PM
Monster would be brilliant, but I think that one's a bit tied up so it might not be available..

Hawkmumbler

How's about that Alien Invasion strip from Battle?

shaolin_monkey

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 19 July, 2015, 08:40:19 PM
My review of THoD if anyone is interested:

https://2000ad.wordpress.com/2015/07/19/the-house-of-daemon-hibernia-press-review/

My copy arrived yesterday, and I can only echo all the sentiments in this thread and the above review. A quality product showcasing a genuine minor classic from yesteryear. Fantastic work by all concerned. I'm incredibly proud to have made a tiny contribution to the mighty efforts of the Hibernia team.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 July, 2015, 05:25:52 PM
How's about that Alien Invasion strip from Battle?

Oh, Invasion 1984? I've heard really good things about it - particularly Eric Bradbury's art, and the fun concept - but I've yet to read it. It's popped up a couple of times as a request before too.

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 19 July, 2015, 08:40:19 PM
My review of THoD if anyone is interested:

https://2000ad.wordpress.com/2015/07/19/the-house-of-daemon-hibernia-press-review/

Glad you enjoyed reading it all over again, and I'm delighted you were happy with the quality of the repro. FWIW, the files that went to print had the slightly washed-out look too and it was a real heart-in-mouth few days waiting for word from David that the final print had come out the way it was intended to! He's picked a cracking printer though, and they've always been incredibly helpful when it comes to getting the best print quality possible.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 July, 2015, 08:52:00 PMMy copy arrived yesterday, and I can only echo all the sentiments in this thread and the above review. A quality product showcasing a genuine minor classic from yesteryear. Fantastic work by all concerned. I'm incredibly proud to have made a tiny contribution to the mighty efforts of the Hibernia team.

Cheers!

Jim

No longer bereft! :)

maryanddavid

Delighted everyone is enjoying it, its a cracking title. Richard had done a sterling job on the artwork, and the cover too. Glad  you finally got it Jim, and ta for the help too!
Monster is not on the cards, and Invasion 1984 might be one for the future, Its quiet long IIRC it runs to something like 120 pages, I have a few more to do before its considered.

Great review, Thanks! I didn't realise that you had bought a copy too.. your review pointed out another idea that W&G had recycled from HOD, the 'hands' trying to grab the characters, used again in Anderson.
The 'trapped in someone else's twisted vision' is something John Wagner had used a few times, The 13th Floor and Strontium Dog, Journey to Hell and Roadhouse. I'm sure someone will pop up to name more.