Main Menu

Mega City Zero (IDW)

Started by JOE SOAP, 11 July, 2015, 06:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I thought their previous main Dredd series was terrible, though it did have a few high points:
- Shane Pierce's art on The Stakes
- SJS Judge Verrity

I've said it on another thread in the past, but Nelson Daniel has done good artwork (if you look at his Flickr/DeviantArt page) but none of this translates to the Dredd work he did.  No idea why, as the good work he has done is on SF stuff - maybe he just doesn't look on someone else's characters in the same way.

BPP

It's pretty apparent IDW gets the work they pay for.

That Dredd sketch isn't great. Proportions look, well not quite... And the helmet looks as wonky as hell. So many talented artists working in the USA market that this isn't a case of 'Americans can't do Dredd' but a case of Dredd Milliband... You can tell from the get go it won't stick the landing.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Molch-R

Quote from: BPP on 14 July, 2015, 02:26:27 AM
That Dredd sketch

As you say, it's a sketch - not final artwork.

Woolly

QuoteThat Dredd sketch...

...looks fantastic to me. Can't wait to see more  :thumbsup:

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah I've already tried to pre-bag this at me local comic shop despite it being very early.

I think IDW haven't misstepped with the 2kad property since the main Dredd run - plus that sketch IS nice (in my view) very Simon Fraseresque. Got a lovely European feel to it.

SuperSurfer

The art is nothing to do with how "Americans do Dredd'. McDaid is also a superb colourist. I think he is on colouring duties as well. Looking forward to this series.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 14 July, 2015, 02:26:27 AM
So many talented artists working in the USA market that this isn't a case of 'Americans can't do Dredd' ...

Also the fact that he's British.

W. R. Logan

For what it's worth I like the sketch.

Dreddzilla

I've said this on other forums and I'll say it here, IDW's main JD series read like bad fan-fiction. (Cal in league with the Dark Judges/12 dj's instead of the original 4) even though it's a different universe it still felt out of place + the art didn't help at all! It felt rushed and cartoony when it should have been serious.

W. R. Logan

After not reading any IDW Dredd until this week as they're now dirt cheap.
So far the main Dredd series is just badly written.
Nothing to do with not getting Dredd but the writer my getting how to write an interesting story.
Just about to start the 12 Dark Judges arc.
Must admit I'm looking forward to getting to the other series especially those written and drawn by Matt Smith and Simon Coleby.

judda fett

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 26 July, 2015, 02:44:02 PM
Must admit I'm looking forward to getting to the other series especially those written and drawn by Matt Smith and Simon Coleby.

Hope there's more in the way of Year One Dredd coming. Really enjoyed that series and would happily see the same team do it again. The flashbacks of young Rico and Joe by Coleby were superb.

Colin YNWA

COMMANDO FORCES

That cover is the Retail Incentive one. I smell three covers for issue one then :lol:

W. R. Logan

As long as it's not the 19 the main series had.
Personally I think it's IDW taking the piss when they do multiple covers for every issue.

COMMANDO FORCES

Helps to make the numbers higher :thumbsup: