Main Menu

Johnny Red Book 4

Started by Tjm86, 16 July, 2015, 07:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Angelino

I like Joe Colquhoun and John Cooper equally. I can't really say I prefer one over the other when it came to Johnny Red.

sheridan

By the time I was old enough to read comics, Cooper was already the Johnny Red artist, so to me Colquhoun is associated only with Charley's War.  Both the definitive artists for the respective strips in my mind.

Hawkmumbler

Did anyone else draw Charleys War? I own all of it and don't think any one other than Colquhoun ever worked on it..

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 October, 2016, 01:10:29 PM
Did anyone else draw Charleys War? I own all of it and don't think any one other than Colquhoun ever worked on it..

Not the main run, but there are two or three stories from Battle summer specials and/or annuals drawn by Cam Kennedy...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 October, 2016, 01:54:41 PM
Not the main run, but there are two or three stories from Battle summer specials and/or annuals drawn by Cam Kennedy...
Crikey! I can understand TITAN wanting to keep the reprints exclusively Mills-Colquhoun but Kennedy on Charleys War sounds much too tasty NOT to reprint at some point!

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 October, 2016, 02:13:04 PM
Crikey! I can understand TITAN wanting to keep the reprints exclusively Mills-Colquhoun but Kennedy on Charleys War sounds much too tasty NOT to reprint at some point!
pinterest to the rescue (only one panel, unfortunately).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 17 October, 2016, 01:10:29 PM

Wow I did not know that. Now that I'd love to see - thanks for the panel sheridan - does rather wet the appetite!

Tony Angelino

Cam Kennedy drew Charley in the 1979 and 1980 1983 Holiday Specials (maybe more). Mike Western in 1984.

Unbelievably Ron Turner drew a Charley's War in the 1981 Holiday Special. Not an artist I would ever associate with WW1.

Quite a few of the specials have John Cooper on Johnny Red. Don't know if those are being re-printed.