Main Menu

Wolverine 3: Old Man Logan?

Started by Goaty, 28 July, 2015, 08:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

Thanks Dave, I think I just accidentally spoilered myself for Old Man Logan. I assume that's the big reveal as to why he won't fight anymore.

Damn my insatiable curiosity.

Quote from: DaveGYNWA on 05 March, 2017, 09:23:57 PM
[spoiler]
The incident, comics-wise (Old Man Logan), involved Wolverine killing a load of the x-men at the School for Gifted Youngsters (which was in Westchester County, New York) while under the influence of Mysterio.

Film-wise, it's Charles responsible for the incident - and it's referred to in one of the tv spots in the film.....one of the reports about it, which referred to 600 injured and many deaths, ends with "several x-" and then Logan turns off the TV.
[/spoiler]

DaveGYNWA

Oooh bugger...forgot about that being a later reveal in the comic, sorry.  :-X
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Richard

Saw this tonight, thought it was fantastic. Patrick Stewart was brilliant in it.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Richard on 12 March, 2017, 11:39:59 PM
Patrick Stewart was brilliant in it.

Wasn't he, though? I loved his swearing, for some reason, like a man at the end of his faith, with hardly anything left to believe in yet finding a reason to believe anyway. Such a powerful performance, I thought, on a par with any other in cinematic history. Which is not to detract from Jackman's performance, which is equally moving (to think that Wolverine would be Xavier's final protector says so much about both characters). I'll admit to having a tear in my eye as the credits rolled.

Every part seemed perfectly judged, from Stephen Merchant's Caliban (and who'd have thought that could ever be a thing?) to Dafne Keen's perfectly vicious Laura - the scene where she punches Logan in the face is brilliant - and the whole tone of the film is perfect. When I get the DVD I'm sure I'll find inconsistencies and mistakes to gripe about but, after a single cinema viewing, I think this is as close to the perfect superhero film as I've ever seen. Bravo. Just, bravo.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

QuoteWhen I get the DVD I'm sure I'll find inconsistencies and mistakes to gripe about

Well that goes without saying  ;)

Goaty

And directed want to re-release it in Black & White.

Link Prime

That was just great.
Magnificent performances all round, in particular Sir Patrick Stewart.

There are of course some minor niggles;

Was it really necessary for Laura and the nurse [spoiler]to seek out Logan for help? They had the resource (cold hard cash) and capability to drive across a few states to the rendezvous point. It's debatable whether Bad Guy Inc. would have ever caught up with them without Caliban's tracking skills.[/spoiler]
I'd have preferred to have Laura [spoiler]remain mute until the final lines; "Daddy" / the eulogy. [/spoiler].

Anyway- possibly the best comic book movie of all time? For me, yes.

Tiplodocus

Just saw this (Prime member rental for £1.99; a bargain!) and boy did we enjoy it.

Freshest take on super hero for years; wearing it's Dark Knight and Shane influences very heavily but no worse for that.

Managed to subvert tropes without getting into too much bathos (I looked it up) and all of the leads were great.

My only regret was that the scene with Patrick Stewart smiling at what a great night he'd had segued straight into an action sequence with barely any time to mull it over.

Actually my other regret is that this baton won't be picked up by other superhero movies. It's too real and grim for summer blockbusters.

Ps: My X-men knowledge is really limited but if it was full of continuity and "Canon" mistakes... who cares.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!