Main Menu

Dreams of Deadworld

Started by Hap Hazzard, 10 September, 2015, 06:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 September, 2015, 10:12:52 AM
I love that IDW created a whole slew of new Dark Judges, and 2000AD killed them all off in one story.

I was wondering whether the assorted other Judges were from the IDW series, I assumed they were but good to have it confirmed.

Hawkmumbler

At least a few of them where, and I never read those IDW issues and i'm going off half remmbered comic vine articles.

Over all, i've loved Dreams of Deadworld, which I  recon was just about the best way you could make a self contained series about the fiends, and it was just delightful to see more of Deadworld itself. It was also so...novel, to see the inner mechanics to the  DJ's, as many people pointed out they have been pantemeime villeins for too long, and needed this bit of extra seasoning to be more interesting characters.

James Stacey

I dont think any of the specific IDW judges were referenced or appeared. The Dreams of Deadworld ones were all a bit horrific and well designed, the IDW ones were all a bit .. well .. gash.

IndigoPrime

Surprising to see people down on this. I thought it was suitably horrific at times, with a nice layer of black humour. It probably won't go down in my 'best ever 2000 AD thrills', but as a four-week slot it was nice to have there, and also as a Dark Judges series it was something a bit different and without the pantomime silliness that's been the majority of strip featuring those characters post-Necropolis. I certainly liked it more than other Deadworld flashbacks we've had and, to be honest, the by-the-numbers Dark Justice.

Link Prime

Quote from: James Stacey on 24 September, 2015, 10:55:23 AM
I dont think any of the specific IDW judges were referenced or appeared. The Dreams of Deadworld ones were all a bit horrific and well designed, the IDW ones were all a bit .. well .. gash.

That's right, the former IDW Dredd series (& continuity) have nothing to do with the 2000AD version of Dredd, including the 2000AD version of the Dark Judges.

Overall thumbs up for Dreams of Deadworld from me. Really nice one-off tales and stunning artwork.

sheridan

Here's a list of IDW DJs - can't remember if they were using Phobia and Nausea (in which case we have thirteen altogether, with the original four).

Judge Choke
Judge Burroughs
Judge Skinner
Judge Fistula
Judge Sleep
Judge Stigmata
Judge Sludgs

I, Cosh

Judge Did I leave a tap running or is it my imagination.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

cosh change your name back, that just confuses and old codger
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 September, 2015, 01:10:16 PM
cosh change your name back, that just confuses and old codger

Yeah while of course its neither my business, nor should it be my concern I say jump off that bandwagon, which seems to have largely passed anyway? I mean you even still have one of those tiny piccies, trying to change to modern time is surely long gone for you?

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: sheridan on 24 September, 2015, 12:58:30 PM
Here's a list of IDW DJs - can't remember if they were using Phobia and Nausea (in which case we have thirteen altogether, with the original four).

Judge Choke
Judge Burroughs
Judge Skinner
Judge Fistula
Judge Sleep
Judge Stigmata
Judge Sludgs

I thought they'd been wiped out by inference. 

Death engineered it that only his most trusted lieutenants survived (Fear, Fire, Mortis, presumably the Sisters), ergo every other Dark Judge was erm... killed?  Un-killed?

So the extra IDW Dark Judges have therefore been removed from existence. 

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 September, 2015, 02:36:51 PM
So the extra IDW Dark Judges have therefore been removed from existence.

They were never part of existence to 2000AD readers- only in the (cancelled) IDW Judge Dredd ongoing series.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 September, 2015, 03:12:02 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 24 September, 2015, 02:36:51 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 24 September, 2015, 12:58:30 PM
Here's a list of IDW DJs... thirteen altogether, with the original four.

Judge Choke
Judge Burroughs
Judge Skinner
Judge Fistula
Judge Sleep
Judge Stigmata
Judge Sludge
Judge Metastasis
Judge Blank

I thought they'd been wiped out by inference. 

...So the extra IDW Dark Judges have therefore been removed from existence.

They were never part of existence to 2000AD readers- only in the (cancelled) IDW Judge Dredd ongoing series.

Worth pointing out that Dreams of Deadworld is not strictly canonical, either.

The only Dark Judges in main Dredd continuity are the classic foursome and the late Kraken, plus five Sisters - Phobia, Nausea, Pustula, Ephemera and Dementia. And frankly that's STILL about five characters too many, and as good a sign as you can get that the whole thing is a bit tired and played out.
@jamesfeistdraws

James Stacey

If you are including Kraken, you should include the Joker :)

Cyber-Matt

Why isn't it 'canonical'? Nothing in DoD contradicts what we know happens to Deadworld, and Death himself says towards the end of Boyhood of a Superfiend that, 'We sent out our Judges to every quarter to judge the people - and when they had finished we in turn judged them'. I took that to mean they made further DJs - four to kill an entire planet is a bit of stretch, to be honest - and then dispensed of them when they were no longer needed.

Frank

To be fair to Jim, the title - Dreams Of Deadworld - does seem to have been designed to give creators and editorial the flexibility to either build upon anything novel in this series or offer different interpretations in future.

I assume Jim is using the ambiguous concept of canonicity as shorthand to reference the way Dreddworld events and characters appearing in strips other than the main Dredd strip (and penned by creators with a slender body of work on Dredd) have sometimes been subject to revision or redaction by subsequent creators and editorial regimes.

While nothing in DOD contradicts previously related events, only time and the caprice of Tharg's ever changing editorial priorities will determine whether Deadworld was judged by an army of Dark Judges with conceptually appropriate name badges or four Dark Judges controlling a judge force under the same kind of hoodoo as depicted in Necropolis.