Main Menu

What should we be planning to do for 2000AD's Big 40th birthday.

Started by Tarantino, 24 September, 2015, 10:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarantino

I know it's still a couple of years away, but I've just celebrated my 50th year on this planet and it got me to thinking, I have been a reader of 2000AD since day one and so I'm thinking we could all make some suggestions as to what we could do to celebrate. It's two years away but time fly's when you're having fun  ;) and it will soon be upon us.

Which brings me to my first suggestion. I loved the Royal Mails stamps of British comic covers a couple of years back, one of which was a 2000AD cover. They have also recently announced that they are going to do some stamps dedicated to Star Wars, which means it would not be unthinkable to ask them to do some stamps dedicated to 2000AD, which would be amazing if it were to coincide with it's 40th birthday. Imagine, each stamp with an iconic 2000AD character on the front.

Does anyone know how we would go about getting the Royal Mail to do this?

And has anyone got any other ideas for 2000ADs 40th birthday?

Tarantino

Colin YNWA

Well if my life experience is anything to go by we should try to make the best of the day. Have a nice cup of tea, but accept that at some point we'll have to go to Comet to look at washing machines before taking the kids to swimming?

Tarantino

I'm writing all your ideas down, so one at a time please  :P

Tarantino

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

To tell the truth, setting up and researching subjects for stamp issues used to be a job I had in RM! A lot has changed since then with living people now allowed on them (instead of dead male and pale). Commemorative Stamp issues were previously hung on 50th anniversaries, looks like that's changed too with Star Wars is a 40th. But it will be a cash cow. :D

My initial thought are you may get a KB as that year's programme will already be filled: there are a limited number of slots that aren't Royal/animal/Transport all of which are all moneyspinners. Also vested 'British' interests tend to grab the other slots. There was also a British Comics issue relatively recently which carried Dredd.  There are long lead-in times too (except for a couple of sport/royal issues) artwork, production security, Royal Assent etc all have to happen and can derail an issue at any time

On the other hand, its a movable feast and things can change especially if you get a campaign (with a bit longevity) on the go and a high profile advocate ( I.E John Prescott 'represented' a couple of interest groups when I was there).

Unfortunately as far as I know the staff have changed almost completely since I was there too! so no succour there.

DDT did a job on me

Echidna

I'm hoping for a themed evening on Channel 4. Future Shock followed by Dredd, with intro and links by Pegg/Vegas/Wossy etc. Hell, why not throw in a late night screening of the Stallone movie for boozy MST3K-style fun.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Echidna on 25 September, 2015, 08:02:33 PM
I'm hoping for a themed evening on Channel 4. Future Shock followed by Dredd, with intro and links by Pegg/Vegas/Wossy etc. Hell, why not throw in a late night screening of the Stallone movie for boozy MST3K-style fun.

hear hear - I've said before that Future shock + Dredd could form the backbone of a great theme night on C4 or BBC2/4. What better occasion than the 40th anniversary?

we should start a letter writing campaign to the beeb and C4 immediately (or a faceblog hash-tweet campaign or whatever)

ZenArcade

Have a campaign to screen Dredd in each region/country. Not too sure how it'd work, but I'm going to check in if the QFT in Belfast will do it. They had a great turnout for Future Shock. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Quote from: Echidna on 25 September, 2015, 08:02:33 PM

Nice idea - though as much as you may want to be drunk before "I knew you'd say that" makes its appearance, I think that particular film is a bit more early-time-slot friendly...

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm thinking nice big birthday bash, like the 25th and 30th ones, so we can all gather in London and celebrate the good times :D

dweezil2

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 25 September, 2015, 11:44:49 PM
I'm thinking nice big birthday bash, like the 25th and 30th ones, so we can all gather in London and celebrate the good times :D

Yeah, I remember the 25th celebration fondly-it was at the Sound Republic, wasn't it?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

COMMANDO FORCES

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tarantino

Quote from: Proudhuff on 25 September, 2015, 11:54:35 AM
On the other hand, its a movable feast and things can change especially if you get a campaign (with a bit longevity) on the go and a high profile advocate ( I.E John Prescott 'represented' a couple of interest groups when I was there).

Thanks for the suggestion Proudhuff, who better as a high profile advocate than Simon Pegg, he's a big fan as far as I know.

Now how do we get in touch, I'm sure he's not a busy guy, he'd probably love to get involved  :)

Does anyone know him?

Tarantino

ThryllSeekyr