Main Menu

Colour question

Started by I, Cosh, 30 December, 2015, 03:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

How long did the full colour era of the Prog last? I know 723 was the first full Prog where every strip was coloured but having a look through the contents (rather than the Progs themselves) it seems that there were never any particularly long runs without something in B&W (Brigand Doom, Luke Kirby, Big Dave) until around 900.
We never really die.

ZenArcade

I'll get back to you on this. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Adventurer

It amazes me that sometimes over 50% of current contents could be Black and White on random occurrences. I love black and white.

I wish we could have like a Black and White main Dredd strip, just randomly. For funzees.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dandontdare

I love the fact that having been brought up on 20000ad I don't even notice - it always surprises me whenever a debate about B/W vs colour pops up, it's about the least relevant factor in deciding whether something's good or not. It's like buying a new car based on the upholstery.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 December, 2015, 01:18:22 AM
I love the fact that having been brought up on 20000ad I don't even notice - it always surprises me whenever a debate about B/W vs colour pops up, it's about the least relevant factor in deciding whether something's good or not. It's like buying a new car based on the upholstery.

Yeah I love the combination and tend not to notice taking each strip's art on its merits and I'm really glad the decisions seems to be made on the artist merit of each strip. With so many ongoing strips in BnW I think it would be some time ago. Red Seas (when it was running) Defoe, Savage etc its hard to spot one. If you count Shakara's eyes as adding colour to the strip 1654 was all colour!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 December, 2015, 01:18:22 AM

Baffling though it may be to us, for many readers (younger ones, I suspect) it is a big deal. There's a non-trivial chunk of the potential audience that will not countenance reading a strip in B&W — I had an online exchange relatively recently where someone told me in all seriousness that the nature of SF strips in particular meant that B&W was unsuitable.

Yes, that person was clearly an idiot, but these people have money to spend on comics and if you want their cash, your comics need to be in colour.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Seeing as i'd be reading manga for a year or so before getting into the Tooth, the B/W vs. colour debate always baffled me. Finished artwork for B/W and colour require different techniques, but prity much anything is good so long as it's sequential.

Really is the most silly of objections.

Geoff

Quote from: The Adventurer on 31 December, 2015, 12:01:11 AM
It amazes me that sometimes over 50% of current contents could be Black and White on random occurrences. I love black and white.

I wish we could have like a Black and White main Dredd strip, just randomly. For funzees.

What a good idea!

JayzusB.Christ

I remember there were quite a few decent all B/W strips during book one of The Horned God, because Simon Bisley. And rightly so.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"