Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Black Dog Thread  (Read 9276 times)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Dog Thread
« Reply #210 on: 23 February, 2017, 12:20:25 pm »
6 Ways to Deal with Panic Attacks.

Something very amusing about this appearing next to your Shark avatar!

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
    • the_sharkpool blog
« Reply #211 on: 23 February, 2017, 12:30:56 pm »
Heh, I am Captain Dichotomy!

Tjm86

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 23 February, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »
I think I might have seen that one before.  Also, having just started with Citalopram for anxiety I've discovered that one of the things that they do is ..... wait for it ..... increase your anxiety!  And don't get me started on some of the other side effects.   :-*

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • the_sharkpool blog
« Reply #213 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:30:26 pm »
I felt better after going off all the drugs and starting with meditation and mindfulness instead. The second major beneficial factor in my ongoing recovery was the alteration of my mindset. I decided not to rely on the government (and I can hear the groans from here but hear me out) or its lackeys. The thing is, I'd spent all my life relying on the systems put in place by government to sort out my problems for me but they obviously weren't working on any but the most trivial and basic levels. I'd go to the state-sanctioned doctor and he'd give me the state-sanctioned diagnosis of "depression and anxiety" and immediately give me state-sanctioned drugs produced by state-sanctioned companies. The upshot of this was that the drugs robbed me of myself and made things worse, somehow hiding what was wrong with me behind a chemical fog rather than offering anything like a cure - masking the symptoms instead of curing the dis-ease. So I f*cked them off, all of them, and after a truly miserable and terrifying few months emerged stronger, clearer and more self-confident than I've ever been. I know that it's incredibly unpopular and quite possibly insulting to say, but in the simplest terms I did nothing more than "pull myself together." I stand up for myself, now, and it's amazing how many people hate or deride me for it - which you'd think would make things worse but, strangely, has completely the opposite effect. It makes me feel strong and confident to stand, as much as I can, without support. YMMV but it definitely worked for me.

Our modern society, it seems to me, relies way, way, way too much on chemical solutions when simple exercise and decent diet can do so much for all kinds of maladies and diseases. When it comes to surgeries, I think modern medicine verges on the miraculous because, sadly, surgical techniques have advanced so far because of warfare. We are almost wizards when it comes to putting damaged bodies back together. The drugs side, however, is driven by profit and therefore far less advanced. A psychiatrist once told me that my condition was due to a "chemical imbalance in the brain." When I asked him which chemicals were out of balance, and how he could tell without drawing and analysing a sample of cerebro-spinal fluid, he was flummoxed. His plan was to chuck artificial chemicals into my brain, the most complex organ I possess, at random until I felt better. That was the point when it became clear to me that most modern pharmaceuticals are little better than snake oil.

The above is not medical advice. The above is merely my personal experience and opinion.

Tjm86

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 23 February, 2017, 03:40:51 pm »
Thing is, I've been round the houses with mindfulness and meditation and so forth.  Last year has been a little too interesting despite constant efforts to 'pull meself together'.  Glad to hear that your way worked for you mind.  I'm just trying to figure out how to get past this.  Mind you the roots are about thirty years old so I think trying to sort it out in a matter of months might be a tad optimistic.  This is going to take time and effort.

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • the_sharkpool blog
« Reply #215 on: 23 February, 2017, 04:39:49 pm »
I hope you don't think I was telling you to pull yourself together - I really wasn't - it's just the only way I can simply explain how I approached the problem myself. 7 billion people = 7 billion solutions.

I'm always here, on the other end of a PM or eMail, if ever you need me.

Invitation open to all.

M.

Tjm86

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 23 February, 2017, 04:49:15 pm »
Cheers pal, no not at all.  I know better than that.  Biggest problem with text based communication, it misses out so much of human communication!!!!!

I'm with you 100%  What works for you / me may not work for someone else.  I've fought off the meds for a long time but am at the point where I need to explore them as an option.  Just need some help to clear out the old mine field (nearly typed mind field then interestingly enough).

I'm really glad your way worked for you.  Like wise too.

T

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • the_sharkpool blog
« Reply #217 on: 23 February, 2017, 05:08:52 pm »
I love this forum.