Main Menu

Like desert island discs but with games!

Started by richerthanyou, 14 January, 2016, 04:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richerthanyou

I'm sure the thread title is pretty self explanatory. Desert island. A solar panel with an power supply thing to power your tv and console/s. No internet so you can't play anything that requires always online (blame EA for that)

Compilations are allowed. Different consoles are allowed (you can take as many consoles as you like with you) You don't have any friends to play multiplayer with (just like real life! :D ). .......Any questions? No? Lets go!

1 - GTA V (PS4) - Because I could probably play this game forever
2 - Final Fantasy 7 (PSX) - Another game I could play forever
3 - Pokemon Red/Blue (3DS) - Because the New 3DS comes with both built into the console
4 - Halo : Master Chief Collection (XBOX1) - Yes there are better shooters, but this one is special to me
5 - Forza Motorsport 6 (XBOX1) - Because I need a racing game

and since my 3DS has those games built in, I get to choose a 3DS game which is Mario Kart 7.

Lets hear yours!
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

NapalmKev

No internet? I reserve the right to kill moaning children on shooting games they shouldn't even be playing.

Anyway, the elder scrolls and fallout game would kill a couple of weeks. And then I'd make a raft from the game cases and sail away into the sunset.

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Satanist

PS3 – Blops 1 (no online WTF! I'll just shoot bots then)
PS4 – Fallout 4 (cos that's what Im playing now)
Xbox 360 – Soul Calibur (my favourite fighting game)
PS Vita – TXK (Best version of Tempest ever and the tunes are brilliant)
3DS – Fire Emblem (because its Fire Emblem)

And because you put it in the first post I now have PS3/PS4/XBOX360/PSVITA/3DS = approx. 300 games installed across all of them

Now someones gonna come on with one of those obscene Steam account  :D
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Pyroxian

richerthanyou

Quote from: NapalmKev on 14 January, 2016, 12:00:18 PM
Anyway, the elder scrolls and fallout game would kill a couple of weeks.

How did I forget these! (I know how, it's because I have banned myself from playing fallout 4 until I've finished uni)

I knew I shouldn't have been so hasty to post my own list. I dread to think how many hours I've clocked up collectively on F3 and New Vegas. I'm pretty sure I would die of old age before I got sick of Fallout 4.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

The Enigmatic Dr X

Football Manager. Any year, but as I'm about 1500 hours into my 2006 save then I'll take that.
Lock up your spoons!

Magnetica

PS2                      GTA 3, Gran Turismo 3   (great music on these as well as great game play)
                           Conflict Desert Storm 2, The Getaway, Primeval

PC                        Star Trek the Final Unity

Acorn Archimides   Lemmings, Oh No More Lemmings, Air Supremacy

BBC Micro              Planetoid, Arcadians, Elite, Revs

Magnetica

richerthanyou

Quote from: Magnetica on 14 January, 2016, 09:18:09 PM
PS2                      GTA 3, Gran Turismo 3   (great music on these as well as great game play)
                           Conflict Desert Storm 2, The Getaway, Primeval

GTA 3 over 4 or 5? Is that because you prefer the missions or something else?
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Magnetica

No it's because I have n't played 4 or 5, just 3 (and a third of Vice City).

I am actually a former gamer (since I got married and had kids), and I have n't completed Vice City yet, have San Andreas still in the wrapper, what ten years later.

So the list of games I have provided are all pretty much "retro" compared to what I imagine you can get for PS4 and Xbox One these days, but you know what I love 'em and spent  a huge amount of time playing them.

I mean look at games like Planetoid (essentially Defender) and Arcadians (essentially Galaxian) - they are dead simple, no saving your position, no missions,  no music (other than a few beeps), but I have probably spent more time playing those than anything else.

Planetoid was taken to a whole new level when my brother worked out how to get the return key (fire) to think it was having repeated inputs, turning it into a super canon. Just  go around destroying the "pegs" you were meant to be saving and then take on the mutant swarm coming at you - brilliant.

Anyway back to GTA, the question for me was why 3 over Vice City, and basically it is the one I have played more. And I love the sound track,even though (as far as I know) the songs are all made up. And just got to love those made up adverts.

The Getaway is essentially a GTA rip off, but with much less free roaming ( it is actually just explore London - there is nothing to find or do) and a totally rigid mission structure, but I actually prefer the driving physics and the gun play system in it.

JamesC

I'm not very good with lists - it's too hard to choose.
I'd need some platform games - I really like Mario 3D World and Rayman Legends.
I think Mario All Stars would be a good shout too.
I'd also need some racing games. I'd have to choose between F1 ROC (AKA Exhaust Heat), ExtremeG3, Need For Speed Underground 2 and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit.
For fighting games I'd probably pick one of the Tekken games or the DC Injustice game.
I'd like something spacey so I'd probably pick one of the Colony Wars games or Star Wars Rogue Leader.

JPMaybe

Good thread.

1) Deus Ex. As my avatar attests, something of an obsession. Hilariously, possibly accidentally prescient (the NSF grunts sound like they're canvassing for Rand Paul). A plot like a Pat Mills fever dream, by way of every X-Files script shredded and reassembled by Alex Jones wearing mittens. Shit graphics even for the time, shonky combat, and voice acting so ludicrously racist it's not even offensive. So good, and such a product of auterism I doubt we'll ever see its like again.

2) Crusader Kings II. A sobering view of what an absolute shit I'd be if I wielded any power. I'll murder loyal vassals because they've got a castle I've got my beadies on.  I'll lock children in the oubliette to take them out of the line of succession. I'll tax people til the pips squeak then massacre them when they complain. I've sunk about 200 hours into it.

3) Alpha Centauri. Like Deus Ex, a game of singular lunatic creativity. A game where guns shoot chaos theory at psychic worms.

4) Goldeneye. Always a pleasure to find a guard with the Dwayne head model and shoot him in his stupid bowl cut.

5) Dungeon Keeper. Imp slappin' time.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

sheridan

• Populous: The Beginning - because I like the little planets
  • Baldur's Gate - best RPG-based game I've played
  • Black & White - like Populous, but a few years down the line (still not convinced by the animal avatars though)
  • King's Quest: Mask of Eternity - a run-around, slice-em-up game
  • Age of Empires - yet another 'god' game
Desert Island Discs allows you free books (Complete Works of Shakespeare and the Bible), so do we get free games?  They'd have to be pong and pacman!  Maybe Tomb Raider as well.

richerthanyou

Quote from: sheridan on 16 January, 2016, 11:43:31 PM

I haven't played Kings Quest in years. The last time I played was Kings Quest VII. The one with the scary looking witch lady on the cover. That must have been the mid to late 90s though. I still remember how much I loved it though. I must seek out that game again. Thanks for bringing back some memories there :D
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: sheridan on 16 January, 2016, 11:43:31 PM

• Populous: The Beginning - because I like the little planets
  • Baldur's Gate - best RPG-based game I've played
  • Black & White - like Populous, but a few years down the line (still not convinced by the animal avatars though)
  • Age of Empires - yet another 'god' game
Desert Island Discs allows you free books (Complete Works of Shakespeare and the Bible), so do we get free games?  They'd have to be pong and pacman!  Maybe Tomb Raider as well.

Both Populous and Black & White were made by the same developers. There was some guy with a French sounding name who was head of the company called Bullfrog (Remember Dungeon Keeper!) and then Lions-Head. I think he disbanded them, has retired now. Some fan-based development team called Subterranean-Games formed together to create a less official third Dungeon-Keeper gamed called War for the Over-World which was more or less similar. I brought this via Steam. It wasn't quite finished and still buggy when I did and now I think it's completed. While it's more polished than the first game. I can see its lacks the guidance and charm of the creator. Kind of like the latest Star Wars film.

Anticipating the release of Black N White. I was real exited, apart from being very much like new and improved Populous game, there was the added feature of giant animal pet. Which sounds suspiciously a lot like Pokémon/Didgimon. Except on more epic proportions. I really saw this as  god game where you could pour your godly influence on any  thing, person or creature and raise them as some god like pet and to they would grow larger, much larger than everything around them.

I remember finally buying the game and putting into storage until I could afford to buy a computer while living down south of border. I waited three to five years a until I could return home here and borrow the money to get a computer and the game turned out to be a little less than what I expected. the graphic were a little dated by that time, and it was tedious waiting for stuff to happened. Took ages for my pet to grow and I eventually abandoned playing this game any further. 

The sequel to Black N White had some notable improvements, including graphics for realistic grass and fur. Your little soldiers would react more realistically to enemy soldiers and those soldiers would fire their arrows into you pet creature. Embedding themselves into it's hide like spines on echidna. Loved that attention to detail, but the little mission got very samey and I never fished either game. I still own them, but just haven't got around to reinstalling them./ I even think the first game along with a lot of others I own is too early spec to work on my current machine.

Seeing internet dependant games aren't allowed. I can't put down....

Any of The Sims games beyond the second one.

Spore

Elite-Dangerous.

Sword Coast legends.

Quite possibly the latest and unreleased (They haven't even started yet!) Bard's Tale game.   

So, best to pick games that were before the rise of internet naturally.

So it would be.....

Classic Elite or Oolite stored  on my hard drive with my favourite selection of OXP's and new ones delivered by seagull or boat.

Nethack and it's upgrades delivered the same way.

And some  huge randomly generated text adventure encompassing both fantasy and sci-fi.

Otherwise it's going to be really sad without the internet or women, but I'm used lack of that last tone.