Main Menu

Weak arguments milo and mrcomicus

Started by Thread Zero, 26 October, 2001, 06:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

You criticise me cos i write only ideas here?
What, you want me to write the whole script in an evening?

In hollywood there is the term "pitch".

Where you give a very broad outline of a story.

That is all I have done.

To criticise me for not writing the whole script or even a synopsis is a very weak argument on your part.

How can you say there will not be any emotional connection with the citizens who are enslaved?
Maybe Dredd knows some of them.
Maybe one is a child who is in foster care.
Or a citizen Dredd saved from a perp not so long ago.
Or countless other reasons why you may care for the citizens.

You are clutching at very weak straws to attack me!

scojo

pauljholden

You are correct that a pitch is a broad outline of a story.

You are incorrect to think what you've posted are pitchs.

You're also wrong about why I criticise you (and Milo). The reason you're coming in for so much flak is because of YOUR INSISTENCE OF YOUR OWN GREATNESS.

Honestly, if you tried to be a little more humble maybe we could all enjoy ourselves in here.

---
I can say there is no emotional ties because your "pitch" didn't have any. THIS is what a pitch should look like:

===========================
MegaCity 1:

Death arrives and warps out the local orphanage. Dredd investigates and realises the only way save them is to go to Deadworld.

Deathworld is a dangerous, desolate place. Many Probes have been sent, but nothing has returned can only one man do it? Dredd insists, he wants the city to be fully protected in case Death comes back. But What does Death want with the Children?

Dredd warps into Deathworld and makes his way to the only structure still standing. The Hall of Death.

Inside he discovers what's been happening. Death has been artifically aging the childrens bodies to make a new army of Necro-Judges A process that will only work on children (that's a movie fudge ;)

But Dredd is too late, time moves differently in Deadworld. Now Dredd has to either destroy the Hall of Death and all of the Necro-Judges or return to MegaCity 1 and warn the City.

One plucky survivor is found, her name is Vienna, and she looks strangly familiar.

=================

There you go, I've taken your single idea and fleshed it out. I don't profess that it's any good, but at least it's more complete. And people will find it easier to judge my writing abilities based on that single story than all the millions of one line notions that you chuck out. THAT is what YOU should be doing.  You have yet to prove you can do the same, despite your Arrogant boasts ("I can write better than any 2000AD writer", etc).

(BTW: Vienna is Dredd's niece)

fraston

(BTW: Vienna is Dredd's niece)

i thought it was an icecream?

F

Thread Zero

Arrogance is better than self doubt.

Anyway why are you writing my screenplay idea?
You plagiariser!

:0))

I come here to add some spice to this board anyway.
Scary spice am I!
But I will shut up about my ego and being great.
Ok?
I will endeavour to write a screenplay and then you can decide whether or not all my arrogant boasts have been worthwhile.

I guess I got carried away!
Sorry.

scojo wishing he had never come back!

GordonR

>scojo wishing he had never come back!

Then why don't you make good on your promise of yesterday and leave again?

I notice you've turned up at the 2000AD newsgroup now as well.  Strangely, no-one there seems to like you very much either after your first few posts.

How many people does it take to tell you that you're an arrogant, clueless, deluded idiot before you get the message?

Thread Zero

Milo,
I may be arrogant but I still bet I can write a better Dredd screenplay than you anyday.

It is you who are the deluded one because you do not even see the reason why there was an atomic blast in my Dredd screenplay teaser.

As for being clueless, see above!

Unike you, I post examples here to back up my position.

You just criticise.

So given a choice between being a so called arrogant, clueless, deluded idiot or an insulting, never posted anything constructive Milo...

I'd rather be me thank you very much.

By the way, having the film start in New York then morphing into Mega City 1 shows in a simple visual way both the geographical location of the big Meg and its huge size.

I bet you never thought of that.
But being the deluded, clueless one, ideas come easy to me.

Odd that?

scojo

mark xiii

Ok, here's my take on what's been said around here recently.

Firstly the new movie(s). I agree, to a point, with what Matt said earlier that you cant just 'jump' into the action without exploring the character and his motives etc. However, the non-Dredd reading public *have* been introduced to Dredd in the Stallone *shudder* movie. They may not realise just how the Dredd we all know 'works', they will remember him for crap one liners etc, but they know enough to not have to set his world up in too much detail - obviously you would need to set up the story, but it's not a *completely* new character.
As for story, I think they should avoid comedy like a bad smell. The comedy in 2Kad is based on a 25 year history and you just couldnt get the irony etc. across in a 2 hour filck, if they tried they would more than likely end up with the crap one-liners I mentioned earlier. IMHO they should show only Dredd's straight-laced side, and play on that. That in itself would be amusing, even for those not familiar with Old Stony Face.
Characters? Well I liked the angel gang in the old movie, I also liked Hammerstein, but they dont have much mileage left in them. Death? Hmmm, hard to introduce, costly effects wise, No. Mean? Maybe, but done in the Stallone one. Cal? Maybe, but too much comedy. To be honest I think the best bad guy would be Dredd himself. A story similar to the excellent 'America' would surley be more cost effective production wise. No big expensive bad guys, no flashy effects - Just a really good, interesting, emotional STORY. Im not saying film America, just something similar in style - Futuristic, engaging, but not cheesy sci-fi for the sake of it. Just an opinion.

As for Scojo. Jeezus! I've had some run-in's with him on the old board, but I've also heard some good stuff from him. I've read a couple of his Future Shocks, and they're respectable enough, it's just his ego that get in the way! He has apologised, for behaving the way he does and so I'm not going to attack him personally, just offer some advise (for what it's worth). Scojo, I suggest that you join ScriptDroids. Dont post your usual "Im great, you're not" comments, but post your Future Shocks for critical appraisal by the pro's in the group. *That* would be putting your money where your ego wants to be. groups.yahoo.com/scriptdroids - do yourself a favour, you might even get somewhere? Im not saying that you should write any more FS's since you have made it clear that you dont want to do that, post the existing ones, and sit back and listen to what people (who know what they're talking about) have to say.

Thus ends my essay for the day. Thank you for your attention (if you got this far!)

pauljholden

Thread Zero

Now is this sarcasm or not?

I don't know with you mrcomicus.

scojo

pauljholden

I'd like to read it. I've been banging on and on about wanting to see a STORY not an IDEA. I'd like to read one of your screenplays, it'll show me if you deserve your arrogance or not.

Thread Zero

I have emailed you. Please email me back.
Thanks.

scojo

mark xiii

'Ere Scojo, if you're dishing out screenplays I'd like to seem 'em too. (Promise to not nick the 'idea') :)

Thread Zero

Is this the scojo appreciation society?

Or some sinister plot hatched by Milo? :o)

I have your email Mark.
I will email you soon.

scojo