Main Menu

Scampi fries

Started by I, Cosh, 14 February, 2016, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

or Scampi 'n' Lemon Nik-Naks?

It's Nik-Naks for me. I also like Rib 'n' Saucy.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 14 February, 2016, 03:17:30 PM
It's Nik-Naks for me. I also like Rib 'n' Saucy.

Thought the internet had done away with all those top-shelf periodicals?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

M.I.K.

I can remember when Smith's Scampi and Lemon Fries first went on sale.

In those days schools had no problem flogging unhealthy foodstuffs to children and on the day the scampi fries appeared, pretty much every child at my primary school bought a packet to see what they were like.

When playtime arrived, 99% of the pupils discovered they hated them, but instead of just chucking the remaining contents in the bin, they decided to completely destroy the offending snacks by stomping them into the ground. This seemed to be an instinctive reaction rather than a chain reaction being set off, because I can remember walking right around the school, going from one playground to the next, and witnessing the same scenes occurring independently of each other, as one person after another opened a bag, reacted in disgust and emptied the contents onto the ground, but these actions came with consequences. A smell got up. When playtime finished and everyone went back inside, the teachers demanded to know the source of the overpoweringly putrid, fishy, lemony stench that now encompassed the entirety of the school grounds.

And that's how scampi & lemon fries got banned from my primary school.

Jim_Campbell

Nice 'n' Spicy Nik-Naks. No better combination of deep-fried corn starch and E-numbers has ever been devised by man.

With the possible exception of Pickled Onion Monster Munch.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 February, 2016, 07:37:25 PM
Nice 'n' Spicy Nik-Naks. No better combination of deep-fried corn starch and E-numbers has ever been devised by man.

With the possible exception of Pickled Onion Monster Munch.

Cheers!

Jim

At last, irrefutable evidence of a deranged and unhinged mind. So much for a voice of reason, Jim. More a voice of insanity.

Unless... you meant Flamin' Hot Monster Munch?
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 14 February, 2016, 07:59:36 PM
Unless... you meant Flamin' Hot Monster Munch?

Ahh, Flamin' Hot. I alternate between those two flavours, largely dependent on the quantity of beer consumed...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

We could only get these ones in Ireland when I was growing up; which meant everyone had read the story of the Cyclops on the back of it about 500 times.

I went to England once with my parents and realised for the first time that there were different flavours; and my packet had the story of the Gorgons on the back of it, sharing their eye and tooth.  It was fairly disturbing, I should point out, but better than the monotony back home of Cyclops, Cyclops, Cyclops, eating sheep, eating sailors, blah blah blah.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mardroid

I used to be rather fond of Niknaks. Rib n Saucy, and there was a spicy flavour... very nice. And probably bad for you considering the e-numbers. I came across some at a grocery/newsagent place a year or two ago. I was surprised they were still available, and bought a packet. They were still nice but not as flavoursome as I remembered. In this case I'm sure my memory was not affected by nostalgia however, because on looking at the packet it seemed either the e numbers and / or artificial favouring had been removed.*

A bit worrying that I seem to prefer the dodgier kind!

* But don't take my word for it and run off and scarf a bunch of packets. Have a look forward yourself!

radiator

First thing I do whenever back in UK is get a packet of Scampi Fries and a pint of Guinness.

Cheese Moments, however, are vile.

Can you even get lemon n scampi nik naks any more? I haven't seen them in years.

TordelBack

QuoteI went to England once with my parents and realised for the first time that there were different flavours; and my packet had the story of the Gorgons on the back of it, sharing their eye and tooth.

I never knew that such a thing existed! I always assumed the bloody Cyclops story was all she (or he) wrote, and implicit promise of more was a cheap trick. Well I never.

JayzusB.Christ

Bollix, I forgot to put the picture up.  These ones; though they weren't Smiths' and definitely had unnatural flavourings.  Oh, and they weren't roast beef flavour either; but it was definitely that packet.

Yes, believe it or not, TB, Monster Munch had extended its bestiary down other mythological avenues, though you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise, living in Ireland.  Fucking Cyclops.  Homer's Odyssey is ruined for me now.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

Never been a big fan of 'corn snacks' they make my teeth feel funny. I used to like tomato flavour Snaps when I was very young though. These days I'm more of a beef Hula Hoops man.
I also used to like Fish 'n' Chips which were little savoury biscuits shaped like, er... fish...and chips.

NapalmKev

Quote from: JamesC on 15 February, 2016, 06:48:03 AM

I also used to like Fish 'n' Chips which were little savoury biscuits shaped like, er... fish...and chips.

They returned last year. Also available in pickled onion flavour and chip-shop curry sauce.

Scampi fries are great (as are bacon fries). Cheese moments are ok but not something I would eat often.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

DaveGYNWA

On my last day back in Dublin last month, I made sure I picked up:

A 12 pack of Tayto Cheese & Onion.
A 12 pack of Tayto Cheese & Onion/Salt & Vinegar/Smoky Bacon.
A 12 pack of Meanies (nom nom nom)

Just about got them in to the luggage case.

Couldn't find Burger Bites anywhere so am assuming they've gone the way of the dodo.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?