Main Menu

Rok of the Reds

Started by Steve Green, 27 February, 2016, 03:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I picked up the first issue of Rok of the Reds today.

Since I never read any Roy of the Rovers, I wasn't sure what I'd make of it.

I really enjoyed it, good to see the writing team back together and a great job all round, and can't wait for issue 2.

Tiplodocus

Like most boys, my life went through the phase of having a collection of Shoot magazines under the bed, (and then onto having a collection of magazines into which I'd shoot under the bed), so this was a nice little nostalgia trip. 

So far it seems a simple enough tale - but well told and with some cracking art.

(I picked mine up at Capital Sci-Fi Con in Edinburgh so will have a six week wait for teh next issue).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dancornwell

Really glad you guys liked it. Can't tell you how chuffed I was to see it in print. I would also say it gets better and better!

robert_ellis

Just picked up the first 3 issues of Rok of the Reds at Bedford's Nice comic con. It's fantastic - like a classic New Eagle story in the Doomlord style. The art is great - a bit like Steve Parkhouse - great clear storytelling and good facial expressions. I wish it had been in 2000ad - sometimes you need some light between the the grim sci-fi stories. Looking forward to issue 4...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: robert_ellis on 04 September, 2016, 12:11:06 PM
Looking forward to issue 4...

Just doing the last of the production work on it now. Dan's powering ahead with the art for #5 as I type.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

robert_ellis

Jim - thanks for the info! Is it an ongoing? All the best!

Steven Sterlacchini

I finally got around to reading issues 1 and 2.

A very enjoyable, well paced read.

Looking forward to the rest.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: robert_ellis on 04 September, 2016, 09:03:47 PM
Jim - thanks for the info! Is it an ongoing? All the best!

I'm sure Jim will correct me if I'm wrong but I think its a 6 issue mini.

Steve Green

Yep 6 issue - speaking to John today, issue 4 should be about a month.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

matty_ae

I picked up at 3 Rok of the Reds from Mr Wagner and he was absolutely glowing about the artwork inside especially as a the football scenes involved so many crowds.

My take was

1) The artwork is really really good. An effortless cross between Phillip Bond and Steve Parkhouse.
2) The story reads like a witty Doomlord update with a great football plot
3) It's the most fun I've had reading a comic since Nikolai Dante and Lawless (which admittedly was just last week)

Its very very highly recommended especially for fans of 80s Eagle.

Bolt-01

I got a set of the first three from Dan himself a couple of weeks ago and will totally recommend it. A superb strip with a fantastic 'feel' to the whole package.

A triumph.

Link Prime

I got the first three issues direct from Dan too, signed by his good self and John Wagner.
Very good fun, and nicely put together.

Imagine how professional it would have looked with a decent letterer?  ::)

Hawkmumbler

I've been playing catch up after reading #2 and 3 and it's quite, quite superb.

Steve Green

Yeah it certainly is.

The name on the ref's mobile made me smile.