Main Menu

Against the Wishes of My Older Brother....

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 12 March, 2016, 04:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

It's a terrible noun, I might add. "Asian" is not a race, needless to say.

JayzusB.Christ

'Some Asian family'... Definitely an adjective in that context. I taught English to foreigners for ten years; I know my shit 😊
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

hippynumber1

Nope. Still a proper noun. Just being used as an adjective in that sentence; more accurately, it's actually a noun phrase. I also know my shit but let's not turn this in to a pissing contest, eh?

ThryllSeekyr

I used that word thinking of it as a people!

I don't care if that's not right according to what experts say.......BTW, my father was English teacher as well, but we don't talk much or about that these days.

I think I got a sound achievement for that subject in school.

The pantry listing will have to wait. I need a notepad for that!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 13 March, 2016, 11:29:37 AM
Nope. Still a proper noun. Just being used as an adjective in that sentence; more accurately, it's actually a noun phrase. I also know my shit but let's not turn this in to a pissing contest, eh?

Fair enough; nothing worse than a grammar fight.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ThryllSeekyr

ThryllSeekyr

You know, I think my father must have started reading me here, because I rang to tell him... I was going to walk back to his house tonight. So, I could grab my Gandalf staff's. Grey & White & bring them over here. They were left behind, because dad had me under the impression that they would never fit in the car and thank goodness (or evilness!) or the Danu he didn't hand them to the Tweedle Dum/Dee twins when I had all that other stuff shifted. They move shoved goddess knows where?

Still, when my father handed me the White-Staff one entire side of the bulb had been knocked out & he also handed me the broken pieces in a small plastic bag. Along with the better, but older staff. The White-Scabbard & the composite wooden staff I made from the legs of some table.

Now White-Staff was only 90 dollars AUD, while the brown imitation wooden one is a couple of hundred more. The former was made from plastic that might have shattered if I ever tried to hit anything or one with it. The other might break as well. Yet, it's definitely made of some study resin that is just like it was carved some wooden tree branch. Possibly a Elm tree.

So, I wasn't that sad about it's recent downgrade.

Maybe my father blew his top over my confusing a the meaning of Noun with a Adjective and just let it out while he had the thing in his hand. Things might have got heated if I saw him do this, but not in a physical way.

Damn, It's so hot, I starting to sweat, so, I forgot the rest of my planned commentary for this one.

richerthanyou

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Ancient Otter

Bette to call them Asian instead of offending them by calling them Vietnamese if they were actually Laotian for example?

Hawkmumbler

It's still not a great way to go about it, far too general a term, especially with the stigma attached to "Asian" refugee's coming into eastern Europe right now.

More in regards to Mayors use of the term, it's just incredibly moot. So what does it matter about their ethnicity, why is THAT a noteworthy feature?

M.I.K.

To be fair, it didn't occur to me that it was in any way noteworthy until everybody else started going on about it.

He could just as easily have described them as being from Brisbane or owning a budgie, which is just as un-noteworthy, but the type of pointless detail people generally add to everyday conversation for no other reason than it better enables you to form a picture in your head, in the way that any anecdote or story does.

ThryllSeekyr

I don't know the people who are supposed to be buying this house or considering to buy it. I was told that some family from that part of the world and who are living here  were doing that. The word Asian was thrown in to make any word to make any word describing locals from town or the city & their suburbs less appropriate. As words to describe people from in or out of state.

I'm not trying to be racist on purpose & don't even understand the slur, I made. It's just a word to describe a particular ethnicity. It bothers me that people are so sensitive about those words, when they aren't even slang. What really bothers me is that Transsexuals are slurred by the use of words like Tranny & She-Male, while the latter are just innocent words combined. They be on it about former word be more of slang term. Yet, still quite innocent.  So, when in polite conversation with one of those people, I try to avoid the slur. However dumb I think that is. You'd think that once a certain minority have been allowed rights, that they may be more lenient themselves towards the uninformed & people like me who don't like having their grasp of the English language made out to be impolite to their sensitivities. When all I really wanted to do was simply address them by their condition. 

Even saying that now. I guess that could be offensive, to address people by their sexuality. Even to complain about might be a slur to them. The are that sensitive about it. Yet the words She & Male alone bear no personal offense to me in what I know of our language. It's not like I used any of the definitely offensive four letter word to bluntly insult them. Anytime they silence or ban or just caution me (I frequent the adult chat-room Chaturbate quite a lot & to mainly just talk to female & those who were once male (It's a slur if you say that as well, I think!)) for use of the word She-Male raises my hackles as I just think they have set another standard that isn't even a legitimate one & they may know (Snickering behind their hands about it!) that they have just redefined the use of the language in way that makes talking to them more awkward. If they didn't fly into a hissy-fit over this or over a lot of things. I think they may find acceptance over that life choice easier & as their minority or majority already have.

Where was I....pay day today :)

I hope this conversation isn't read to be offensive, because I chose to discuss language using those people (Man, I feel like I'm walking through a mine field here, & especially with them!) a topic & excuse to make this part of the forum more adult. I've been itching to air my grievances about that without offending anybody.

I just wish people would get over it and move on & not be slighted at all & then this politeness is seen as offensive in itself, because people then believe that you think your better than everybody else. In the end, you might as well call people names of the four letter variety to prove how human I really am.

Hawkmumbler

Bro if a transgender (not transexual, BTW, that's something else entirely) tell's you a slur is offensive you bloody listen to them and respect their wishes. A trangendered person should be referred their preferred pronouns, not whatever Daily Mail transphobic hog wash you deam to be acceptable.

"She-male" is far from innocent, and it's fucking disgusting.

M.I.K.

This is now outwith my area of knowledge.

(Backs slowly away from thread...)