Main Menu

ABC Warriors Time line

Started by james newell, 18 March, 2016, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

I think the best way to consider Time travel, within the confines of an anthology of fiction, is that you can use it to do basically anything you want.

If I may cite my recent nonsense attempt in the short story competition: The Gronk has been transported to Dredd's  timeline. In the story Dredd has already met Alpha, but the Gronk has come from a time before Alpha met Dredd. This allowed me to use Wulf even though he is dead by the time Dredd and Alpha meet.* (second time as I recall)

Time travel can make for a decent story but I try not to enforce real world mechanics into the situation. It's all about the Fun!

Cheers

*Judgement Day
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

positronic

I finally managed to locate copies of The Volgan War Vols. 3 & 4 HCs (which I already had in paperback) in new condition, and a copy of The Volgan War Vol. 2 HC in 'Good' condition (read: yes, all the pages are still there), but the only copy of Vol. 1 that I could find was too ridiculously high-priced to even consider. Oddly enough the paperback copies of Volgan Wars 1 & 2 are if anything, more expensive yet than the hardcover versions.

So I'm stuck with no copy of The Volgan War Vol. 1, because I'm not going to pay those kind of Information Superhighway Robbery prices.

I know what someone's going to say - if I'd just switch to digital format, all my problems would be solved. I'm just attached to printed comics... I want my comic books to be actual books, not virtual books.

EDazzling

Nah, don't switch. I've had a series of ebay alerts out for various 2000AD collections from months to year and 90% of them have got me the books for never more than 15% above cover price (including shipping), and usually less, no matter how rare the book. Including all 4 Volgan War hardcovers. Eventually. Patience, patience, patience.

sheridan

Quote from: NapalmKev on 17 April, 2017, 09:02:02 AM
If I may cite my recent nonsense attempt in the short story competition: The Gronk has been transported to Dredd's  timeline. In the story Dredd has already met Alpha, but the Gronk has come from a time before Alpha met Dredd. This allowed me to use Wulf even though he is dead by the time Dredd and Alpha meet.* (second time as I recall)

*Judgement Day

Dredd, Johnny and Wulf all met in Top Dog from the 1991 Judge Dredd Annual, so you could have the Gronk travelling from a time before Wulf was killed.

positronic

Quote from: sheridan on 24 April, 2017, 01:26:46 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 17 April, 2017, 09:02:02 AM

*Judgement Day

Dredd, Johnny and Wulf all met in Top Dog from the 1991 Judge Dredd Annual, so you could have the Gronk travelling from a time before Wulf was killed.

So is Judgment Day the first time (for him) that Johnny met Dredd (but not for him)? And for Dredd the 1991 Dredd Annual was the first time he met Alpha? How many times have they met altogether? I miss the Gronk, and Wulf.

Dark Jimbo

Judgement Day is the second meeting for both Dredd and Johnny.
@jamesfeistdraws

positronic

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 April, 2017, 02:59:41 PM
Judgement Day is the second meeting for both Dredd and Johnny.

Those are the only two, then? And... I just checked. I DO have that 1991 Judge Dredd Annual with the story "Top Dogs"! Okay, it was a long time ago, right? I ... forget stuff sometimes.

EDazzling

They met again in By Private Contract in Prog 2000

positronic

Quote from: EDazzling on 24 April, 2017, 04:04:16 PM
They met again in By Private Contract in Prog 2000

[ . . . ]

Oh. Riiiight. And just as I was about to knee-jerk a reply asking "Um... which one was it? The 1999 2000 AD Prog 2000, or the 2016 2000 AD Prog 2000?", I stopped and thought... "Waitaminnit... that sounds familiar", so I ran downstairs and checked. And I do have it. What can I say? I guess I'm starting to forget faster ... or remember slower. (I've scanned a LOT of comic pages in the less-than-a-year's-time since it came out.)

This is the one that pretty much disambigu-ifies (just made that up) the ponderings about whether Alpha and Dredd share the same timeline. [spoiler]Future clones of Judge Cal in Johnny's time put a reward on Dredd's head for revenge.[/spoiler] But I'm glad you brought it up, since now it enables me to ask about something I was wondering about that story. Where does this take place in Johnny's continuity? There's these two brothers in the story that are obviously clones (or have a strong family resemblance) to Stix from the old Strontium Dog stories, but I don't know where they came from or what the deal is with them.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: positronic on 24 April, 2017, 04:43:26 PM
Where does this take place in Johnny's continuity? There's these two brothers in the story that are obviously clones (or have a strong family resemblance) to Stix from the old Strontium Dog stories, but I don't know where they came from or what the deal is with them.

The answers to all these questions are the obvious ones - right after the last Strontium Dog story!*

*Post Final-Solution death and later ressurection.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

That third crossover is actually (currently) the last time we saw Johnny and the boys.
@jamesfeistdraws

positronic

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 April, 2017, 04:48:13 PM
Quote from: positronic on 24 April, 2017, 04:43:26 PM
Where does this take place in Johnny's continuity? There's these two brothers in the story that are obviously clones (or have a strong family resemblance) to Stix from the old Strontium Dog stories, but I don't know where they came from or what the deal is with them.

The answers to all these questions are the obvious ones - right after the last Strontium Dog story!*

*Post Final-Solution death and later ressurection.

Okay. Getting there. Working my way to the future on several series here (SD, Rogue, ABC, Nemesis). Ordered a couple more SD trades yesterday, so on the way.

marko10174

I've just bought the three hard back Mek files. I read the first Mek file last night containing the stories the meknificent seven, and the black hole. I found the black hole quite tricky to follow, not sure why happy shrapnel or the mess weren't included in this one. I've not read and Nemesis stories which might fill in a few gaps I'm guessing. I still really enjoyed it though and I'm looking forward to reading the two other files.

positronic

Between The Mek-nificent Seven and The Black Hole, the Warriors appeared in Nemesis Books 4-6. Nemesis Book 4 (The Gothic Empire) is included in The Complete Nemesis the Warlock Vol. 1 TP; Book 5 (Vengeance of Thoth) & Book 6 (Torquemurder) are in Vol. 2.

Hawkmumbler

2000AD chronology only requires one event to understand all the inconsistency's and crossovers.

It's all Thoths fault.