Main Menu

Slough Feg

Started by sheridan, 22 March, 2016, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the US band Slough Feg was named after everybody's favourite celtic warrior's foe - they're on a European Tour this year, including a date just up the road from where I live![/size]

Live at the Unicorn, Camden, London.
[/size]//MONDAY 6th JUNE 2016//Back in the UK as part of their European Tour, the most excellent:SLOUGH FEG (USA)https://www.facebook.com/sloughfegofficial/With support from London's own twin-lead revivalists:SEVEN SISTERS (UK)https://www.facebook.com/sevensistersuk/
+1 More TBC

==============

Free Entry
Strictly 18+[/size][/font]

ThryllSeekyr

About their name......they were once called Lord Weird Slough Feg to just Slough Feg for reasons I could only guess. Maybe it's easier to say thing or some about the copyright.

Touring in Europe?

I wonder if I could get a passport in time for that?

Not only did they name themselves after the long (un)dead sorcerer, they also wrote music based on Slaine.....

The Red Branch (From their first self-titled album) I have that one on vinyl only.) This song chronicles his exploits from the very beginning & ends with words alluding to him returning to his return to the northern tribe & kingship. That backing music can be a little irritating after it got me hooked into this band in first place.

Sky Chariots (First song from the top of Down Among the Deadmen.) About the Bezerks of Midguard & they sound awesome!

Wickerman   I have a strong feeling it's on Twilight of the Idols (It may be as much about the Bride of Crom as it's about any of those old world burning man festivals. I'm not even sure I recall
them mentioning Slaine in this one. They seem to be singing about some Celtic warrior....
because I was listening to that one just few days ago it also has...

Cauldron of Blood  About the Knights of the Red Branch their prize artefact from Atlantis. This song is catchy.

Warp Spasm & Beast of Broche are both instrumental & feel that much more generic. The first one may not even be so Slaine related as they do have music about other Celts that are perhaps less non-fiction. (Pat Mills may not agree!)

The Pangs of Ulster & Connar Mac which both could have their lyrics altered to become bona-fide Slaine material.

Slough Feg A song about how the Red Branch Knights made plans to bump off the old sorcerer. It was never quite like that wasn't it?

I don't think they've written enough music about the Warped-One & the world he existed in & have also wrote a one based on poem verse of some well known scifi novel which currently don't recall the name of......called Tiger/Tiger & a enjoyable cover of Horslips Deargdoom both which
have taken their backing music from a old Scottish marching tune.

Travellar about a old scifi role playing game. The hero is Baltech a genetically modified dog man slave. Professor Rickets the evil guy who made him & others like him.  It's like a space opera ( Another old scifi role playing game that David Braben was into.) almost comparable to Rocky Horror Picture Show, but not!

There is more, but not worth mentioning here. Even so, they are good to listen to.

Ape Uprising is short at only a few songs maybe alluding to Planet of the Apes.

It's like heavy metal had become one with Geekdom, & that's not such a bad thing.

ThryllSeekyr

I was just listening to Eumaeus The Swineherd & forgetting the actual used at the beginning of that title, I thought this might have been a reference to Myrddin. Yet it turns this Eumaeus si from Homer Odessy

Lyrics....

Twelve herds on the mainland's shore
Gathering slaughter I wait
I'll bring you my finest boar
Driving the droves to their fate
I am a swineherd awaiting my master's return
From the city of Troy

The anger of Gods increase
Gathering slaughter to burn
The baying of hounds won't cease
Long for their master they yearn
Suitors will fall to the hand of my master
Upon his triumphant return

The insolent suitors boast
Carelessly stalking their prey
I'm ranging the island's coast
Searching my mind for a way
I am a swineherd impatiently waiting
The spilling of blood on that day

Would have been cool (For fans like myself!) if this was about Myrddin knowing penchant for Slaine

sheridan

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 22 March, 2016, 09:42:21 PM

Travellar about a old scifi role playing game. The hero is Baltech a genetically modified dog man slave. Professor Rickets the evil guy who made him & others like him.  It's like a space opera ( Another old scifi role playing game that David Braben was into.) almost comparable to Rocky Horror Picture Show, but not!
Would that be Traveller?  Which is still published by a subsidiary/sister company to Rebellion?  And which inspired a comic strip written and drawn by Mark Harrison?  Not sure what the other RPG you mentioned was though...

Dandontdare

Didn't realise that was by Mark Harrison

Traveller was a great game - I created a new Strontium Dog character type. I imagine it's very outdated now - when building spaceships you had to buy computers by the ton!

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 March, 2016, 01:40:42 PM
Didn't realise that was by Mark Harrison
About fifteen years later he published a colour version online - available on the 2000AD.org website.

QuoteTraveller was a great game - I created a new Strontium Dog character type. I imagine it's very outdated now - when building spaceships you had to buy computers by the ton!
...and was the basis for the Strontium Dog RPG (not long after the Traveller Judge Dredd RPG came out).

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: sheridan on 23 March, 2016, 12:56:19 PM
Not sure what the other RPG you mentioned was though...

There is none!

Yet, Space Opera was supposed to be what Frontier/Elite's through to Elite Dangerous's David Braben played before he made those other games. I read this in the Elite - Archives Part One. It's one of those early access designs for book that hasn't yet been published. Right now, I have my doubts about that bit of information, but you can find out more about Space Opera here.

That novel/poem I couldn't remember before is called The Stars My Destination (I think somebody here read that & it was also something I wrote on my moving signature bar!) Not sure wether the poem that served as inspiration for the lyrics for Tiger! Tiger! was written before the novel or that poem was inside the novel. I've never read it. I only know it's synopsis.

ThryllSeekyr

Looks like I'm going to miss this, or I already have.....