Main Menu

Prog 1978 - outer dark

Started by Skullmo, 23 April, 2016, 10:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Having at least read the prog now it's weird just how closely Brink feels like The Fuse. No other Fuse readers here? Stevie, not for a second suggesting it's completely original, though...  :o

Yup, PJ is on fantastic form, and Adam Brown's colours have been a breath of fresh air recently. Great combination.

High point possibly being the announced return of Davis' painted Slaine. Let's hope the script gets back on track.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 29 April, 2016, 01:01:32 PM
Quote from: Tordelback on 29 April, 2016, 10:45:15 AM

I as yet have no opinion on Brink, except to wonder if I've reached satiation with regard to Culbard SF series.

I had a similar thought myself but when you think about it what has he done? Brass Sun and a 3riller, and that's about it.

Don't think there would be too many complaints if say Henry Flint (to pick an artist at random) was drawing 2 series at once.

Yeah completely agree with this. Give him a Dredd or two while your at it. Can't get enough of the good stuff.

jacob g

Quote from: Fungus on 30 April, 2016, 02:08:59 AM
Having at least read the prog now it's weird just how closely Brink feels like The Fuse. No other Fuse readers here? Stevie, not for a second suggesting it's completely original, though...  :o

We're here.

Funny thing with the Fuse (and Copperhead*, and few other Image sci-fi books) is they've always felt like a material that should be published in a
prog.
margaritas ante porcos

Colin YNWA

Not read Fuse yet (have a digital copy of the first collection working it's way up my read pile) but certainly Copperhead is definitely Prog worthy. You should ALL buy it when it returns.  Brilliant stuff.

TordelBack

I didn't mean to imply personal dislike or general oversupply of INJC art, just that my initial reaction to Brink was muted... Nothing leapt out at me, and I wondered if it was because I was already receiving my RDA of Culbard-in-space from existing sources. I felt the same way about Mark Harrison on Grey Area initially (fresh off Damnation Station), although that soon changed.

Professor Bear

I thought Brink was more reminiscent of the Thomas Jane bits of Syfy's The Expanse, but with only one episode in the bag it can go anywhere.  Here's hoping it's its own thing in the end and not another of those 2000ad series that turns out to be linked to an existing series like The Kingdom or something like that.  Actually, Tharg could probably do a decent bit of rug-pulling by making you think it's linked to The Kingdom only for it to turn out to be linked to Rogue Trooper instead "haha it was exactly what you thought it was but not quite!" kind of thing, though I admit I got sick of that about 20 minutes into Star Trek Into Darkness.
Are we being nerds about the science of it?  I'm a mild space colony geek so I'll have a punt: the digital states of the "ambi-grav" seems out of place in an outer ring of a Bernal Sphere (if that's what it is) which presumably would be rotating and generating its own - constant - gravity - and does Brink suffer from motion sickness from that rotation or is she just sickened by the gore on page 1?  The habitats also seem to have been built up from the bottom of the rings rather than along the inside of the outer hull.  The colony also looks too small to be a Bernal Sphere, which I mention as a Bernal sphere houses somewhere in the region of 20,000-30,000 occupants, but the script lists this - clearly much, much smaller station - as having ten times that population.
Guys, I don't know how to say this, but I think the science in this strip about space police might not be entirely accurate, etc etc.

Dredd... it's a good effort, but I don't think I'm sufficiently sold on the Big Meg kowtowing to Brit Cit under any circumstances.  Past form suggests a Hail Mary, a bluff, or a brutal public display that Justice Department would rather go down in flames and bring the world with it before it would show weakness to a judge force comprised of glorified theme park staff, so the extradition thing seems a stretch, or at the very least the first act in the set-up for something else - perhaps Hershey's hinted-at "one other option".
Survival Geeks - kudos for shitting on cold openings, which are a pox in modern tv.  The art, as ever, is great, but the writing is starting to remind me of Sisko's dialogue from The Flash, and I don't know if this is good or bad.
I like Deadworld because I know ahead of time that everyone is fucked no matter what happens, so there's no way to feel short-changed about anyone's fate - They Dead.  It's just a matter of seeing how it plays out, and what a lovely-looking journey it's been so far.
Aquila is on firmer ground here when it's a Conan-esque pulp romp rather than a sort of Roman Wolverine thing where he's a monosyllabic walking massacre who occasionally has superhero fights, and I'd rather it continued next week and didn't go on hiatus, but understand that this kind of decision isn't left in the creators' hands.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Nope, not for me thanks.  Wooden faces.....too similar colours between foreground and backround.

Dredd: Rather than a new story, it does roll nicely on from the last, and the building of this Brit Cit issue from the last while.

SGeeks: Still keeping me entertained.

Tainted: Working well for me, love the art, love the hopelessness of the plight.

Brink: So, another tale I find almost impenetrable due to Culbards art.... Bah.

Aquila: Ends, and to be honest, I'd likely not notice if it never returned.

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!