Main Menu

Love to see Mark Harrison back on Durham Red

Started by matty_ae, 28 April, 2016, 08:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

It's clear that the re-defined Durham Red is still visually a definitive version.
Leah Moore did a take in the Sci-Fi special and she's on the FCBD cover.

Mark's doing great work on the Grey Area but speaking to him its clear that he's not done with the character and as JJ Abrams proved with the Star Trek Universe, you can have parallel universes. So, my thought is why not get Mark Harrison back on Durham Red.

matty_ae

Oh and I'd I'd like a Hardback collecting all the Mark Harrison work to date as well as Scarlet Cantos is rare/expensive online.

(If you're going to ask you might as well push it.)

I know the purists are going to cry its not canon, but its visually so cool just call it Chelsea Blue if you have to..

maryanddavid

Durham Red was fun, I wouldnt object to a return of some sort. Funnily I know its a spin off of Stront, but I see the Harrison version as a stand alone, already in an alternate universe version. 

AlexF

I much prefer Harrison's recent work on Grey Area to his original Durham Red run. I wouldn't mind seeing him tackle the character again in his new style.

There's plenty of room to go back to that Universe in between 'Vermin Stars' and 'Empty Suns' in story terms (ike Rennie did with his run on the original Rogue Trooper). Or even to return Red to the world of Strontium Dog proper, although that'd be pretty jarring.

SIP

I preferred the original ezquerra red and don't much care for the reimagining. Would be great to see her back in strontium dog. Retcon it!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: matty_ae on 28 April, 2016, 08:26:56 PM
Oh and I'd I'd like a Hardback collecting all the Mark Harrison work to date as well as Scarlet Cantos is rare/expensive online.

(If you're going to ask you might as well push it.)

Yes please! The hardback isn't even so unlikely an idea - seems like just the kind of thing that'd be lapped up in Europe ala Volgan War.
@jamesfeistdraws

M.I.K.

Is there actually anything in those Durham Red stories that contradicts the subsequent events in Strontium Dog?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: M.I.K. on 29 August, 2016, 04:36:30 PM
Is there actually anything in those Durham Red stories that contradicts the subsequent events in Strontium Dog?

Nope. In actual fact it's thematically quite pleasing, after the extinction of the British mutants in Life and Death, considering it ends [spoiler]with the extinction of the human race by mutantkind[/spoiler]!
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 August, 2016, 04:45:46 PM

Nope. In actual fact it's thematically quite pleasing, after the extinction of the British mutants in Life and Death, considering it ends [spoiler]with the extinction of the human race by mutantkind[/spoiler]!

Discussed before- there is a contradiction.

The Dan Abnett era Durham Red follows on directly from Paul Hogan's Strontium Dogs and solo Durham Red stories.
Hogan's destiny for the character- the far future portrayal of Durham Red as the queen mother of a galactic royal family was cemented by Abnett's final story.

With The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, all Strontium Dogs story-lines since The Final Solution are now non-canon, ergo all Durham Red story-lines are too.

Link Prime

Fuckin edit button....

Paul Hogan's Durham Red was of course that time she spent in the Australian outback killing wallabies to feed her blood lust.

Art by Mark Sexton.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 August, 2016, 05:51:28 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 August, 2016, 04:45:46 PM

Discussed before- there is a contradiction.

The Dan Abnett era Durham Red follows on directly from Paul Hogan's Strontium Dogs and solo Durham Red stories.
Hogan's destiny for the character- the far future portrayal of Durham Red as the queen mother of a galactic royal family was cemented by Abnett's final story.

With The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, all Strontium Dogs story-lines since The Final Solution are now non-canon, ergo all Durham Red story-lines are too.

Okay, so, (without going back to check out the old issues which I can't be bothered doing right now), is her eventual destiny in Abnett's stories the only thing that specifically ties into the Hogan stories? 'Cos if that's the only problem I don't see any reason why things can't turn out the same way in the 'real' version.

Mute77

I really enjoyed Harrisons run on Durham Red. I thought it was a bold move to move the character on into the far future and I'm sure theres plenty of scope to carry it on...Book 3 had some fab extras at the back and i'd certainly buy a hardcover!

Link Prime

Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 August, 2016, 02:12:38 AM
Okay, so, (without going back to check out the old issues which I can't be bothered doing right now), is her eventual destiny in Abnett's stories the only thing that specifically ties into the Hogan stories? 'Cos if that's the only problem I don't see any reason why things can't turn out the same way in the 'real' version.

It was a little bit more intricate than that.
In some scenes featuring the (seemingly) old and feeble Queen Mum Red there were callbacks / mentions of characters specific to Hogan's Strontium Dogs (from memory- Bullmoose Saxon, Toroni, The Goth King).

Any other reader can look at it as they choose, but for me, any story set in that universe since The Final Solution is now non-canon.

M.I.K.

Fair enough. That'd certainly complicate things.

Leigh S

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 August, 2016, 09:17:07 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 August, 2016, 02:12:38 AM

It was a little bit more intricate than that.
In some scenes featuring the (seemingly) old and feeble Queen Mum Red there were callbacks / mentions of characters specific to Hogan's Strontium Dogs (from memory- Bullmoose Saxon, Toroni, The Goth King).

Any other reader can look at it as they choose, but for me, any story set in that universe since The Final Solution is now non-canon.

plus there is no mention of Johnny Alpha's resurrection!  Of course, she may have done the weird stasis thing before he came back, but he hasnt exactly been quiet since returning, so you think she might have picked up on the fact he came back from the dead in her absence?