Main Menu

Prog 1979 - Wartorn

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 April, 2016, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The Prog continues its slow steady improvement.

Dredd has another fantastic episode, for a moment I did wonder whether the masked rescuer was going to be you know who, but that'd have been surprisingly soon. There might be a formula in Mike Carroll's episode structure but by heck it works and there remains a fine balance between the two main story strands. Excellent stuff and a delight on the eye.

Maybe I'm getting a little numb to some of the triter elements to Survival Geeks but has to be said I'm really quite enjoying this story and for once looking forward to find out where it's going, rather than just it's end.

Slaine, like most of the rest of the prog is a joy to behold and okay the background exposition as Saline fights is certainly becoming a thing but I'm glad this is back and looking forward to seeing how it develops in a way I haven't been about the series in literally years.

Brink is a bit of a slow build but I can feel myself being drawn in. It feels quite fresh and different for reasons I can't quite place yet, I mean it's nowt new, but it's pacing, dialogue... don't know something is feeling nicely original, at least in the Prog and that's always a good thing. Think I'm going to love this in a bit. Oh and yep looks smackin'

Tainted does its thing which alas for me leaves it the weak link in the Prog, but given where we're come from and those fact I'm actually even enjoying Survival Geeks means the Prog is heading back to rude health.

moly

Good prog this week with interesting politics in mc1 and survival geeks for me in cracking form

glassstanley

Woo-hoo! Daily Dredds 2!

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 April, 2016, 12:19:01 PM
the background exposition as Saline fights is certainly becoming a thing

It's a bit salty is it?

The Amstor Computer

...and farewell, KAT-SCAN. Perhaps the most underappreciated member of the team, and a huge part of making Rebellion's reprints look as good as they do, even when the source material is spotty or poor. I'm looking forward to seeing how she handled Monster and Misty, and I hope her replacement carries on the good work.

Fungus

Tremendous cover. The headshots aren't very conspicuous recently and SD's art is confidently sublime.

Hawkmumbler

Slaine...Slaine! What have we told you about sticking plums in your eye sockets?

Zenith 666

That cover is an absolute triumph.

jannerboyuk

Cover: absolutely lovely, the style suits the portrait better than the action shots imho
Dredd: I like this kinda of thing and it boils along nicely
Survival: the light hearted sorbet continues but is threatening to overstay it's welcome (did anyone notice the crossed out toilet sign motif appear in this and tainted? Weird)
Slaine: art is mostly lovely but seems a lot of more of the same. Hopefully next week will see a change of pace
Brink: we've seen the trope of a pair of cynical but fair detectives uncover deep dark secrets so many times before that although I'm enjoying it I hope it takes us by surprise at some point
Tainted: my favourite story at the moment, really hitting the ever decreasing circles of impending doom and the art has really grown on me. Can't wait to read the whole thing in one go
Letters: letters letters letters!

ThryllSeekyr

Despite his art style....very stylish, Simon reminds me (Us?) that even Slaine can get old with that beard. Wether it was his own art direction or Pat's. I now wonder how the wandering warped one always managed to keep his face mostly bereft of it.

Perhaps it's barely avoided leyser beams or a by product of the how clean shaven he was when he first got warped up.

Kind of like the myth about Vampires who always revert to how they looked when they were first embraced whenever they wake up in their coffin just after sunset. Regardless of being shaven, having a hair cut or grown some facial hair.

Aside from my first option, it doesn't really explain why Slaine now has a beard. Because I started growing mine after my 21st birthday. Why should Slaine grow a beard now after looking so clean faced, (Yet most often with a five o'clock shadow or side-burns/mutton-chops.) for the Drune-Swords, FomoriansCyth.

I think it Ukko swiped his razor....

Anyway, I'm trying to complete the purchase for that in digital, but my internet just will not take that transaction any farther.

Until next week & when the postie arrives.

Magnetica

Well it is quite fashionable to have a beard these days. When I look around at work there is now a huge proportion of people with beards who never used to have them.

Whenever can I watch things like the Walking Dead I find myself wondering how some of the characters manage to remain clean shaven. I wouldn't have thought carrying a razor around was top priority for them. As for Slaine I guess he could use his axe. :lol:

Fungus

Hm. If you're going to start taking zombies seriously.... there are 300 questions you need to be asking before worrying about their hair ?

James Stacey

ThryllSeekyr

Well, I'm used to Slaine trademark looks and being a comic where visuals kind of dominate. It stands out when his trademark is altered this much, even if it makes sense. Like this might have happened when Slaine had returned to become king of his tribe.

As for Slaine taking care of his appearance... As counter productive this may be to Slaine's wanderer image. I can imagine the dwarf had some barber skills or maybe Nest offered to keep Slaine from getting too scruffy looking. I guess if his hair's always kept long ...why not the beard as well.

I won't go on and on about this, but Slaine going to end like muscle bound Gandalf at the rate he's going.

I also had scene from Crocodile Dundee in mind when thinking about the grooming habits of men in awkward places, places similar to Tir-Nan-Og in terms of lack of civilisation. While it's obvious he's also trying to impress his female love interest......it's out there that he did make a show using his Bowie knife to shave. Even Wally fumbled for his comb when the young lady was dropped off by helicopter when arrangements for him to take her to see his mate.

I'm kind of hoping Slaine scrubs up enough that's he's back to usual fresh face self before this one ends.