Started by Colin YNWA, 30 April, 2016, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 30 April, 2016, 02:24:35 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 April, 2016, 12:19:01 PM
the background exposition as Saline fights is certainly becoming a thing

It's a bit salty is it?

Groan, I just got that.

Well what a great Prog lurks beneath a great cover!

Dredd is superb, Carroll writes a good mystery, and Holden draws the hell out of it: a definitive Beeny there, although I think the colouring on the same page rather ovedoes Hershey's cheeks.  Judge Hammond indeed!

The current run of Survival Geeks continues to entertain, and the art if anything get better.  Couldn't disagree more stro gly with the letters page types, I think this is maturing into one of 2000AD's best humour strips.

Slaine is a complete visual feast, even if nothing actually happens. Could Slaine be Feg's son too?

Brink.  Yeah, it's hooked me now, very nice.  For what seems a bit like Hard-SF-meets-Lovecraft (I'm reminded a bit of Elizabeth Bear's Boojum stories) I would prefer a more believable and less Sketch-Up-y set of space stations, but the interior design work is really spectacular so it more than cancels out.

And so we come to Tainted: without reservation, this is THE best single episode involving Dark Judges since Mortis chased those Cadets in Necropolis.  Hairs standing up on the back of my neck from the first sick panel.  Love the J-Wagon  design, love/hate everything about it. Bleurrrggh, I feel I'll.  :thumbsup:

Mr Ruh

Dredd - a perfectly decent episode, moves the story along well.
Survival Geeks - like most readers, I usually resist the 'comedy' stories, but I quite like this one! The artwork carries it a long way ...
Slaine - as with all modern Mills work, it's all a bit pointless, but Davis's art has genuine vigour and energy (even if I'm not always 100% sure what's going on in each frame).
Brink - haven't really got into this yet. Great art though.
Fall of Deadworld - it has a certain atmosphere, but I have no idea who anyone is which does hamper it somewhat. Maybe I'll re-read it all in a sitting when it finishes ...

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 May, 2016, 09:29:16 AM
Slaine...Slaine! What have we told you about sticking plums in your eye sockets?
Probably Slough Feg's plums, at that...

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 May, 2016, 02:28:55 PM
Well it is quite fashionable to have a beard these days. When I look around at work there is now a huge proportion of people with beards who never used to have them.

Whenever can I watch things like the Walking Dead I find myself wondering how some of the characters manage to remain clean shaven. I wouldn't have thought carrying a razor around was top priority for them. As for Slaine I guess he could use his axe. :lol:
I'd not want to do anything which could result in nicks and cuts in that kind of environment!

ThryllSeekyr

Weren't the Celts big on hair, (A reason he may have never got it shaved or cut too short!) and grooming (Looking after that big hair!) and large moustaches (Like his dad, his true dad!).

Yet, the beard a kind of image ruining for him, not that I'm knocking that look. I cultivate one myself a few years back (If you saw those videos.) & shaved it because it made me feel too old.

TordelBack

The bear thngis just a casual cue that Slaine is feeling of and down in the dumps. His wife (and eternal soulmate) has-been murdered, all ofhis people have left for HyBrassil, Nest recently turned him down, his mate Gort turns out to be a cythron pawn, the drunelords and Formorians keep feckng with him no matter how many times he defeats them... basically he's having a bad run and his perssonal grooming reflects it.

Remember that he also had a bit of a beard in Horned God when bewitched by Megrim.

TordelBack

Soth! Autocorrect armageddon! "The beard thing is just a visual cue that Slaine is feeling old and down in the dumps...".

SuperSurfer

Great concept about the United City States of America.
;)

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 May, 2016, 02:19:24 PM
;)

I don't get it unless your talking about the colours of the American flag.

All else I can add here is that, I think it's too much a twist that Roth isn't Slaine's legit dad. 

If Roth was in the habit of beating up on Slaine when he was boy.....doesn't that contradict that fact that he being brought by another.

What would Mongan Axe-Head think or say?

I think the idea of fostering is that Roth be allowed to interfere with him...that up to Mongan

As for being beaten, I'm sure they all get that.

Of course, these are tough times, and what better to thicken his skin.

Darren Stephens

Tainted is probably.....no, definitely my favourite new strip of the last few years. It's been perfect comics to me. *cough* collection please, Tharg *cough*
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

A.Cow

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 21 May, 2016, 10:57:58 AM

Um ... what does a flag have to do with this?  Am I missing something?

sheridan

Quote from: A.Cow on 07 June, 2016, 12:44:29 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 21 May, 2016, 10:57:58 AM

Um ... what does a flag have to do with this?  Am I missing something?
Thryllseekyr won't be able to answer you...

ZenArcade

Why not....I hope he's ok? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ZenArcade on 07 June, 2016, 02:29:24 PM
Why not....I hope he's ok? Z

He finally got himself banned, per MOLCH-R's post of a few days ago...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead