Main Menu

FCBD 2016 Prog

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 May, 2016, 08:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Don't think this has an actual review thread yet? If so apologises.

Anyway when you compare the Prog to the other comics I got there's absolutely no denying its a healthy beautiful package. Tharg relly knows how to make the most out of the opportunity. To be fair part of that is the size, which is okay in the OKAY, not sure how it fares in the smaller US size. Whatever the size might play a part but when you have a smacking cover by the wonderful Mike Allred, like that you know its a lot more than just size that matters (though it bloody helps!)

Inside Dredd is solid old skool fare, but Eric Powell's art certainly does disappoint and elevates what is a perfectly fine one off for new readers.

Fodder is pleasent set up - so lets hope it goes somewhere? Is this coming to the regular Prog? Really nice atmospheric art that if its not going to grace the return of [spoiler]Fiends[/spoiler], is that a spoiler I don't remember it being mentioned? sure as hell better grace something. On the right strip, which this is, its just perfect.

Some nice reprint follows the magnificent first part to The Order the beautifully crazy first part of  and a colourful one off Strontium Dog... from ???

Next up we have a fun Future Shock which looks quite supreme even if the twist is a little weak.

Finally a fun little intro (to me) of Ratfink (is this new or reprint? I think it is a new story, though I know the character has appeared in the Meg before).

Heck even the adverts are classy. its just a great product. Made all the more so with the highlight hidden in a QR code. But that rendition of Pug Ugly's 'Hey Pink' is SUCH good fun its untrue. Bllody loved it. So yeah just a might thumbs up. If the clear effort that's gone into producing this doesn't more than make up for itself in new readers the comics industry really has no hope.

Well done Tharg and all involved, you've done the Galaxy's Greatest proud.

ZenArcade

I hope to Christ Mal in Forbidden Planet has held one over for me!  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Leigh S

The Stront is from the 1982 Starlord Annual iirc.

The Eric Powell art is fun, but don't let Mr Campbell see that last panel!

Theblazeuk

This and the star wars one were the first things to go in Raygun.

blackmocco

Couldn't find one over here in Los Angeles for love nor money. I'd love to say because it was sold out but doesn't look like anyone ordered it. I've only one chance left over here before I have to start scouring the interwebs. Thanks Obama.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

The Monarch

Fodder is really good i hope this does continue in 2000ad proper somehow

Magnetica

As well as my FCBD prog I got a good few others as well just to see what they are like.

Only read the Marvel one's so far (Captain America and Civil War II) and was surprised at how easy it was to pick up the story, not being a Marvel reader and not having seen Age of Ultron or Civil War and being two seasons behind on Agents of Shield. ( They seem to be picking up from recent movie story lines I am guessing- well the whole Hydra thing anyway).

It seems churlish to complain about a free comic, but these were first parts of stories to be continued in on going comics, so I didn't get a "complete" tail. I guess they view them as a way of hooking you into those. Equally I would hate to see 2000AD start an epic in  the FCBD prog as not everyone is able to get their hands on it.

ZenArcade

:( :( :( FP have no FCBD 2000AD's left! :( :( :(

Professor Bear

Just ask someone behind the counter to take a copy from someone's standing order, Zen.  I assume that's where most of my books end up disappearing to.

ZenArcade

Tried to haggle one, got blank looks followed by the I don't care; go away glare from a couple of f**king cyphers behind the counter!!  Z

Professor Bear

You must have caught them on an off day.  They're usually so interested and helpful.

ZenArcade

I'll try and ring Mal tomorrow when he's back....he'll hopefully pull the fat out of the fire!  Z

ZenArcade

I wouldn't mind so much if I'd just been a lazy shite and not bothered my arse going down to get one; but I was at a start up conference in Enniskillen, supporting organisers, writers and artists in the industry (that thing that is the essential beadrock of comicdom....something the cocks I was dealing with in FP wouldn't know the first thing about).  Anyway self pitying whinge over,  Z

SuperSurfer

Shame I missed out on the FCBD prog. I was a few miles up in the sky in a plane while FCBD was happening so mustn't grumble. I would be happy to pay a few quid for a copy if any comic shop has extras.

And yet there always seems to be a pile of unsold progs in some comic shops.

Oh well.

Mattofthespurs

Got one of eBay, which I'm happy with.
Not so happy at having to pay £7.99 though.