Main Menu

Help me remember a childhood book

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 11 May, 2016, 03:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I remember, as a kid, my brother got a book from the library.  It was a an anthology of short horror stories for children; and rather than the usual ghosts and vampires stuff; they were very, very surreal and disturbing; a sort Chris Morris's Jam for the under-tens.

The only two I remember were one in which somebody plucked and cooked a goose (I think), and was sitting down to enjoy it when its enraged comrades flew in the window with all its feathers and stuck them back in.  The cooked goose was now restored to life and flew off with its friends.

There was another one set outside what I think was either a courtroom or some kind of Parliamentary buildings, where authorities argued and made speeches for hours without a break.  Meanwhile, an innocent young boy was cooking a sausage on a fire outside; and the smell was wafting in, making all these officials get hungrier and hungrier.  Finally, the boy was just putting salt and pepper on his sausage, when the people in the building couldn't stand it any more; whereupon they all rushed outside and, overcome by mob frenzy and hunger, grabbed the boy, ripped him to pieces and ate him along with his sausage. 

And that was how they went.  No morals, no happy ending, just the promise of a troubled, sleepless night ahead.  I would love to find this book, and send it to my brother.  Anyone any clue of what it was?

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Third Estate Ned

This is a long shot but my sister had a book of kids' horror stories which included one about a lad sneaking into a canteen at night and eating the food, pickled onions, which turned out to be an eye hospital rather than a canteen. Was that story in your brother's book?

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Theblazeuk

Oh I think it might have been! Who knew that was the source of the stories which scarred me so early.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 11 May, 2016, 04:08:19 PM
This is a long shot but my sister had a book of kids' horror stories which included one about a lad sneaking into a canteen at night and eating the food, pickled onions, which turned out to be an eye hospital rather than a canteen. Was that story in your brother's book?

:lol:  Don't think so; but it sounds cool anyway.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Adventurer on 11 May, 2016, 04:51:58 PM
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark?

That was brillian; amazing artwork too; but I don't think it's the one I'm remembering here.