Main Menu

Prog 1984 - Orwell that ends well?

Started by jannerboyuk, 04 June, 2016, 01:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

Great prog overall

Cover: grim but effective, appropriate for 1984
Dredd: predictable perhaps but effective and dramatic
Slaine: best episode so far, as beautiful as ever. Adventures of the boy Slaine would suit me fine
Brink: explodes into life, you know a story is working when you worry for a character
Black shuck: just started so I'm waiting seeing
Grey area: fun and enjoyable if lacking in emotional weight for me

LOVE MY SUB!

M.I.K.

1984 + 16 differently numbered end of year issues = ...

Am I right in thinking this is the actual 2000th prog of 2000 AD?

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Not sure who's style it reminds me of, but I like it.

Dredd: Looks like things are starting to come together, and resolve themselves into some sense. Politics man.... s'all politics....

Slaine:  Yep, let's rewrite history AGAIN..... it's not helping, still seems utterly pointless.

Brink:  Nope, still not caring too much about this one.  Pretty sure now it's the offputting art, as the tale seems fairly standard sci-fi gubbins that I should like, but just can't get into it due to presentation.

Black Shuck: Still got nowt coming back to me on this one, so will just read along and see what occurs.

Grey Area: Wonderful to look at, if a tad murky at times. Story potters along nicely, and looks like it's also heading for a resolution of sorts. Question remains, will they get to go home?
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Link Prime

Lovely cover.

It's a Mk 1 Lawgiver Renaissance, with the Texas City Judges using it in the Prog recently too.

Woolly

Prog's a cracker!

Cover: Really good, striking cover. Got a few minor niggles though - Dredd's anatomy is a bit weird, and his daystick's all floppy.

Dredd
: Explanations aplenty, and another brilliant final panel. PJ is giving a career-best performance here, as is Micheal Carroll. Loving it!

Slaine: A massive change in quality compared to the last few weeks. Davis and Mills back on form.

Brink: Saving this til I can read it in one go. Liekd the first couple of episodes, but found the constant info boxes a bit exhausting.

Black Shuck: I'll admit I don't have much investment in this, as I thought the first series was a bit 'meh', but this is keeping me entertained so far. I'll give it a few more episodes before I make up my mind.

Grey Area: Again, saving til I can read it all in one go. Looks lovely though, Mark Harrison's work has a great sense of dense scale, while keeping the details confined to the main characters. Mesmerising stuff.

And finally, a small but heartfelt tribute to our own W.R.Logan in the nerve-centre. He's a respectful bloke that Tharg, and I'm thankful he found the space to honour Logan in this way.

Woolly

Quote from: M.I.K. on 04 June, 2016, 02:21:36 PM

Y'know, you could be right here...  :o

TordelBack

Fungus

Quote from: Tordelback on 04 June, 2016, 08:18:10 PM
Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 04 June, 2016, 02:32:26 PM

Robin Smith?

Thought so too, yup. But only the Dredd.

Echidna

Quote from: jannerboyuk on 04 June, 2016, 01:19:54 PM
Brink: explodes into life, you know a story is working when you worry for a character

After the last installment I was wondering why Brink was the title character, given that Bridge has had more development and done as much police work. I would n't be shocked to see [spoiler]him die and Bridge become the sole lead, with Brink's memory lingering on in the title[/spoiler].

Slaine:  Yep, let's rewrite history AGAIN..... it's not helping, still seems utterly pointless.

Is there anything more pointless than a cliffhanger ending in the middle of a flashback? A shame, because it looked like things were starting to happen at last.

I always enjoy Grey Area. I think Tharg said this was the last chapter of the current arc, rather than the end of the series as a whole, so fingers crossed they make it home.

Great cover. I like the references to Un-American Graffiti.

Black Shuck seems more interesting than the last run. We'll see.

Top thill Dredd (I grinned like an idiot at the end), MVP Dan Abnett.

Tjm86

Quote from: Woolly on 04 June, 2016, 06:47:08 PM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 04 June, 2016, 02:21:36 PM

Y'know, you could be right here...  :o

This year they ditched the annual prog numbering so by my reckoning that's 2000 to 2015 that are 'uncounted' giving 16.  So yeah, looks like it.

ZenArcade

Some one start counting....Pete Wells, you're our designated counter. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Woolly on 04 June, 2016, 06:29:05 PM
his daystick's all floppy.

Well, he is getting old.....happens to the best of us on occasion!  :-[

Quote from: Tordelback on 04 June, 2016, 08:18:10 PM

Robin Smith?

Ding!  We have a winner!  Yup, thanks, woulda bugged me if I hadn't worked it out! :D
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ZenArcade

Mind you, you'd need to be a quare eejit spraying a wall beside the Hall of Justice. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

I'm not sure much has changed really. Dredd and Brink are both brilliant and via for thrill of the week. Dredd is just building, building, building. This week Mega City One interlude brings a different tone and possibly grim consequence? The last page, as already mentioned is quite fantastic. Brink on the other hand really shifts things into different gear. Its been fine on th speed its been at but that's felt like its been leading to something. Don't think we've got there yet but the mystery and the actions after it are all leaving so many interesting questions. This is quickly becoming a fascinating and top new thrill.

Grey Area is great fun and heads towards a neat conclusion... if things go as you can easily imagine they will. Black Shuck is settling in still but showing some promise and has its own great conclusion, looks wonderful to boot.

Slaine hold steady, not brilliant but better than it was. Will be interested to see where this retrospetive interlude leds but hope its doesn't over stay its welcome.

Very good Prog.