Main Menu

Alien covenant

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 18 June, 2016, 11:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Read on the 'net that they look different because [spoiler]they grow on trees. Literally. Trees corrupted by the black fluid, which is what is was designed to do (drop it on a planet, watch the fauna go wild)[/spoiler] A recycled idea from an old Alien 3 or 4 script, apparently.
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea on that site that they're [spoiler]genetically engineered by David. I preferred my aliens to be, well , alien. I know they'll be kind of indirectly engineered anyway as a result of that black fluid, (and I'm not over keen on that) but at least the source was extraterrestrial. Technically, considering the 'Engineers' are almost human.., or more accurately, we're almost them..[\spoiler]

Goaty

Oooh now it 3 months early...

Rately

Love that poster.

Hoping that we get a film more in line with Alien than Prometheus. I'll be keeping the fingers crossed.

Mardroid

Quote from: Rately on 24 November, 2016, 10:06:17 AM
Love that poster.

Me too. That one word is enough, huh?

QuoteHoping that we get a film more in line with Alien than Prometheus.

Something midway is fine with me... with reservations.

soggy

I would have thought if it is that close to you then it's too late to run.

Rately

Quote from: Mardroid on 24 November, 2016, 05:42:12 PM
Quote from: Rately on 24 November, 2016, 10:06:17 AM
Love that poster.

Me too. That one word is enough, huh?

QuoteHoping that we get a film more in line with Alien than Prometheus.

Something midway is fine with me... with reservations.

Definitely a well chosen tagline!

Since I first watched Aliens as a young fella, and later Ridley Scott's original, I've always loved these movies. The sheer tension of the first two, the artistry that was applied to the creatures, technology, world's... Just absolutely fantastic stuff.

Like you, I've some reservations as to what we can expect. If we can take the gorgeous images of Prometheus and add in the characters and action set pieces of Aliens, with the tension and claustrophobia of Alien, then I'll be a happy fella.

Not much to ask for, surely?  ;)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: soggy on 24 November, 2016, 07:10:24 PM
I believe silent resignition is the best cause of action at that distance. And a new pair of pants.

I was at a con a few years back when apout of the corner of my eye, down a narrow corridor I spotted a guy in a Xnomorph cosplay. The tail was suspended by a thin but of wire to the back of the head and waved in unisen with the seemingly erratic movement. To say I jumped a mile is an understatement, I was fucking bricking myself, and I think that speaks for itself at just how genuinely affective th design is at scaring folk. It's almost primal.

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 November, 2016, 08:37:58 AM
Quote from: soggy on 24 November, 2016, 07:10:24 PM
I believe silent resignition is the best cause of action at that distance. And a new pair of pants.

I was at a con a few years back when apout of the corner of my eye, down a narrow corridor I spotted a guy in a Xnomorph cosplay. The tail was suspended by a thin but of wire to the back of the head and waved in unisen with the seemingly erratic movement. To say I jumped a mile is an understatement, I was fucking bricking myself, and I think that speaks for itself at just how genuinely affective th design is at scaring folk. It's almost primal.

It really is the most terrifying monster due to the design. Mind you, when you see how the bloody thing is "birthed", it becomes all the more terrifying.

Just a fantastically well thought out bit of design.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Rately on 25 November, 2016, 10:55:22 AM
It really is the most terrifying monster due to the design. Mind you, when you see how the bloody thing is "birthed", it becomes all the more terrifying.

Kudos to the original actor though - the way he moved was just eerie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpgu1L1YIc

dweezil2

H.R Geiger was a genius and we'll never see his like again.  :'(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Rately

Quote from: Pyroxian on 25 November, 2016, 12:00:51 PM
Quote from: Rately on 25 November, 2016, 10:55:22 AM

Kudos to the original actor though - the way he moved was just eerie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFpgu1L1YIc

Fantastic performance.

Am i right in thinking he was a Nigerian art student? Been a while since i watched the Quadrilogy documentaries, so i may be wrong.

Rately

Quote from: dweezil2 on 25 November, 2016, 12:23:08 PM

Totally agree. Some of his artwork has to be seen to be believed. So strange and. no pun intended, alien. He was a perfect choice to help design the Xenomorph.

Spikes

Quote from: Rately on 25 November, 2016, 01:39:34 PM

Totally agree. Some of his artwork has to be seen to be believed. So strange and. no pun intended, alien. He was a perfect choice to help design the Xenomorph.

I wonder what he could have brought to the franchise, If he had been utilised properly, instead of being used almost as an afterthought, for these sequels/prequels?

Rately

Quote from: Spikes on 26 November, 2016, 12:59:46 PM
Quote from: Rately on 25 November, 2016, 01:39:34 PM

I wonder what he could have brought to the franchise, If he had been utilised properly, instead of being used almost as an afterthought, for these sequels/prequels?

God only knows.

I can only imagine what he would have designed for Prometheus if they'd let him loose on the Engineers and Aliens.