Main Menu

Prog 1989 - Descent into chaos

Started by Proudhuff, 09 July, 2016, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

COVER: eye ctching chin -est shot.

Nerve centre: SDCC gets a plug and the droids have a BBQ when they should be working 24/7, what is TMO thinking...

Dredd: the best Dredd I've read for a long time, couple of classic Dredd YES! moments, ye naysayer eat my official Justice dept shorts! These two droids should be hailed as bestest team since Mr W and the squirrel!
BLINK and I've missed it

Shaggy Dug: its all getting a bit silly,

Futureshock: Meat. Enjoyable romp, had a moment when I thought it was a [spoiler]young SD![/spoiler]
apt that there is a FS in the Prog this week too RIP.

Scarlet Traces: this is a great setup episode,with Harold Wilson and the UK justice dept badge making an appearance, great stuff a lesson on how to do info dumps without being a boring t**t.
And a Buttman free letters page!

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Trent

Only one more part to Dredd! Plus epilogue in the Meg. Ridiculous amount packed into 5 parts compared with the previous 8. Shame as Reclamation has been terrific, I just wish it had been given more room to breathe, and for a few of the shorthand story turns we have been trying to work out on the way to have been properly explained.
I fear this will be another of those promising story arcs that didn't quite deliver. Maybe I've just set the bar too high, as it's still streets ahead of the mainstream US dross.

Proudhuff

Nice spot Eamonn! Are you collating the other refs from ST as with previous stories?
DDT did a job on me

A.Cow

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 July, 2016, 10:37:22 AM

Um ... why is it apt and why RIP?  Get the feeling I've missed some news here.

A.Cow

Quote from: A.Cow on 09 July, 2016, 02:38:21 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 July, 2016, 10:37:22 AM
Um ... why is it apt and why RIP?  Get the feeling I've missed some news here.

Hang on, just realised -- Alvin Toffler.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 July, 2016, 02:23:02 PM
Nice spot Eamonn! Are you collating the other refs from ST as with previous stories?

I will be, and it's coming up on the podcast in a couple of months as well.

Ghost MacRoth

COVER: Eye searingly dull shot.

Nerve centre:  Rarely read it nowadays.

Dredd: Continues to be engaging, with more layers adding themselves to the overall arc, such as the realisation that Oswin hasn't even told most of her own forces what she's up to till they were allready commited to her plan.

BLINK: and I'll not miss it.

Shaggy Dug: its all getting a bit silly, but on the plus side, I don't have to change 'Huff's comment much. ;)

Futureshock: Meat. Enjoyable romp, had a moment when I thought it was a Sin/Dex thing.  Nice art!

Scarlet Traces: this is another unengaging episode,with a mutant Harold Wilson and the UK justice dept badge making an appearance, great stuff as a lesson on how to be a boring t**t. Hoping this doesn't run too long.

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Geoff

An enjoyable prog - always best when enjoyed in peace and quiet...

Dredd's great, rollicking along nicely and I just can't wait to see Oswin get her comeuppance.

Loving Brink and the other Space series with the Martians - the art the script, both lovely.

Davis Hunt is such a good artist that the FS shock was enjoyable despite being a pretty thin story.

Other than Black Shuck, which I just can't seem to get into(Yeowell's art is rather wasted sadly) a cracking prog I think! Good stuff Tharg.

A.Cow

Blink: I've finally done a catch-up read ... and I now get why others are excited by it.  It's nicely dense and every background detail seems to have purpose.

However, I can't get over the fact that it feels too much like Leviathan-in-Space.  Don't get me wrong; I loved Leviathan, but this is surely treading familiar ground.  The [spoiler]one-eye symbol, the eye-like space drive design[/spoiler] ... haven't we been here before?

By the way, am I the only one who thinks this week's cover should have been on last week's prog?

Ghost MacRoth

Now you point it out....yeah I expect you are right.  Never noticed as I have no real investment in the tale.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Leigh S

The Slaine cover from a week or two back seemed as if it belonged on the next prog along IIRC?

Colin YNWA

A solid and well realised Future Shock replacing a very disappointing comclusion to Slaine means this weeks Prog is on the up turn from last weeks. Especially since everything thing is as you were really. Black Shrug of the shoulders continues to have wonderful art. Dredd continues to be superb (though I too am I little worried that the conclusion will feel a little rushed, though lets read it before we jump to conclusions. Scarlet Traces continues to build well and as has been said Ian Edginton does give good info dump, though he can info dump too much. Blink continues to be the very best comics has to offer, lovin' it.

3 conkers, 1 solid and 1 there is a good enough Prog for me.

Really interested to see what replaces the existing line-up as we head into the final lap before we get to what I assume will be quite the fresh line-up in Prog 2000

Proudhuff

Is it me or was there a similar Dredd cover years ago... its the drink don'tchaknow.
DDT did a job on me