Main Menu

MEG 374—Black Metal Apocalypse

Started by Banners, 16 July, 2016, 08:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Even alongside Ezquerra's wonderful art and Annie P's superlative lettering, the new Meg boasts an absolutely stand-out and phenomenal Dredd script from the Carroll droid, both in terms of rounding off the saga and on its own merits. It is brilliantly structured, reverential of the strip's legacy, thoughtful and progressive all at the same time, and features cracking, engaging and delightful dialogue throughout.

We all love the explosions, action sequences and shoot-outs of course. But this episode shows Carroll at his best I think. More scripts along these lines, and as Med-Judge Gregory says, Carroll can surely write Dredd "for another few decades".

Bravo.

Trent

Very interesting Dredd. Although in part it felt like a huge exposition dump to explain the plot points that weren't obvious in the original story it actually worked as a character piece for both Dredd and Hershey and tied the strands together to bring the feel of an epic to the arc that frankly I've felt has been missing since the Lion's Den run.
Excellent stuff.
Can't wait for a Lawless trade to reread from the start. Big, but not unexpected twist this episode.
Blunt isn't cutting it for me......
Realm is non 2000AD and not my bag.

moly

Liked how in dredd [spoiler]it said he was fit enough for another 20 years /spoiler]

Skullmo

Anyone understand [spoiler]how Hershey can decide the Chief Judge of Texas City?[/spoiler] [spoiler]Or why she didn't seem concerned about all the people that had died?[/spoiler]
It's a joke. I was joking.

Frank

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 July, 2016, 05:16:58 PM
Anyone understand [spoiler]how Hershey can decide the Chief Judge of Texas City?[/spoiler]

She paid Jeremy Corbyn £25/ She called an election, but everyone except Theresa May dropped out (delete according to your own political bias)

Oswin framed her takeover as a merger of the two cities, and her relationship with Hershey as a partnership, so presumably Hershey gained the same power over Megacity Three as Oswin had over Megacity One.

ZenArcade

Seems to have solved the depleted Judges crises?? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

ZenArcade

Don't know Skulmo, I havent read it yet. I'm surmising, but at our last Belfast meet up a discussion around likely out comes pointed towards something like this. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Dunno.... think I like it, but oddly unsure!

Dredd:  Nice wrap up of current events, and a wee insight into Hershey's past.  Like others, not convinced how Hershey can so easily put one of her own in charge of TC, but if it makes for a revitalised Meg, then I'm all for it.  They need some tales of growth before they get butt fucked again by the next big crisis.

Rumble in the Jungle:  Skipped.  Will wait till I get the comics before I know anything about it ta.

Interrogation:  Skipped as always.

Realm Of The Damned: Hmmm.... seems a gear has been shifted, but I don't think it's up or down...more kinda sideways!  Good episode, well...until Queen Clattypatra starts with the ghetto pish again.

Blunt:  Sticking with it, but looks like it may be going in an odd direction......

No Act Of Kindness:  Decent tale, but no real 'kicker' to it. 

Lawless:  Looks like it's about to turn into the 3:10 from Yuma!  But I doubt it'll be in a bad way.  Great series so far, I expect it will continue to be so.

Floppy - Sinister Dexter:  A great reminder of some of the superb art that has featured in this strip.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Richard

I was really impressed by Michael Carroll's script this month. Everything Banners said above. I liked the cameos by really old-school cameos and little bits of history from Hershey's past. And I enjoyed the humerous sub-plot with Dredd and the CMO. Carroll has shown that he has what it takes to write Dredd regularly and take over from JW when he retires.

Richard

I meant "really old-school characters."

CalHab

Great Meg this month. I even found RoTD enjoyable, despite having been put off by the earlier episodes.

Dandontdare

I really enjoyed Hershey's trip down memory lane, and this was a good character study of her and Dredd, as well as a fine companion piece to the prog story, but I too was confused as to [spoiler]how Hershey gets to install a MC judge as CJ of Texas - even if the rest of the TC justice dept claim not to have know Oswin's true intentions, which I doubt, why would they stand for a MC placeman, given the disparity in strength? That part of the story (and just "keeping" the TC judges) seems a little implausible[/spoiler].

Lawless continues to be awesome in every respect. Blunt is okay but "colonists threatened by a crazy planet" is an old trope, and I'm not a massive fan of Boo Cooke's style (apart from when he totally nails it - I'm rather bipolar on this droid!)

The rest is on my "get around to reading some time" pile.

A.Cow

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 July, 2016, 07:38:37 PM
I too was confused as to [spoiler]how Hershey gets to install a MC judge as CJ of Texas[/spoiler].

I read it that Hershey is not devoid of strategic thinking (hints dropped in the text) and is [spoiler]essentially planning her own -- more subtle -- coup[/spoiler] to avoid this happening again.

The [spoiler]hidden Psi[/spoiler] side of things would obviously give an advantage in manipulating things, but it's logical to presume that [spoiler]another Psi would spot her a mile off[/spoiler].  This gives more credence to my theory that Texas City's anti-mutant sentiment [spoiler]extends to Psis too[/spoiler].