Main Menu

Prog 1992: The Dunwich Horror!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 30 July, 2016, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 August, 2016, 08:31:23 PMThe other ending isn't really a  ending now is it. I've loved Blink from the off but here it has its first mis-step. I shouldn't complain as it promise more of this glorious series but it pretty unsatisfying. I almost wanted this to be a done in one story, would have really suited it tight claustrophobic tone, but couldn't see how it was going to do that...and it didn't. All we got was a summary of what we'd seen to date and a new twisty cliffhanger thing.

How can one so wise be so wrong!  This was a perfect ending - Brink could never return and this would still work as an ending.  After so many of the plot threads were given an apparently neat explanation, this had all the ambiguity enjoyed by every single event in the series.  The final panel of all the cops looking almost frozen, as in a tableau, of bewilderment and busy panic - it had a Twilight Zone quality, as much as a cliffhanger. Which of course it works as as well.

I'm still reminded of Edge of Darkness more than anything, where all the strangeness seems to be put back in its box in the final episode, and then we see Craven on the hillside, and the black flowers.  This is no more or no less a cliffhanger than that.

Although I do wonder what Mercury ever did to Tharg to deserve the spectre of destruction twice in as many progs - that exchange rate maybe.   

petesbeats

I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought it wasn't clearly explained then.  It was such a big part of the middle of the story as well.  Strange...

robert_ellis

I lot of chatty episodes this prog. Please can Black Shuck disappear - I really like the colouring but that's it. The rest of the prog is pretty great. I'm really enjoying Scarlet Traces - It flows well in bitesize chunks. I love the idea of Anderson back in the prog - I really hope there is a fresh direction for this once great character. Reading Lawless in the Meg makes me realize how Anderson could work with a twist...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tordelback on 08 August, 2016, 12:54:20 AM
How can one so wise be so wrong!  This was a perfect ending - Brink could never return and this would still work as an ending. 

You know what on reflection you are right (not about me being right), I've pondered this in quiet moments today and ending is a lot better than my knee jerk reaction. It deserved better than a nice neat round up. That's not what the story was about and not where it needed to head. The world it inhabits is tight and claustrophobic and as such that's what I wanted the story to reflect. Its not that though is it, its about people pushed to the edge, on the brink and that struggle doesn't have a neat ending and as you say those dead absorbed faces in the final panel, so engaged, yet detached from each other is pretty exceptional.

I once again bow my head to you sir.

Theblazeuk

I like Black Shuck's idea and the whole gist, but in the actual ep-to-ep it has failed to really stick at all. I kind of skipped over the last couple of bits to be honest.

Brink is my favourite but I am a Dabnett fan through and through. And I'm going to have to get some more of Scarlet Traces... all that backstory I'm missing out on!

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 August, 2016, 11:25:47 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I found some examples of Black (and White) Shuck on this very website; http://www.2000adonline.com/post/465

That's more my cuppa.

Huh! I do much prefer that. Never occured to me.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 09 August, 2016, 02:31:20 PM
I like Black Shuck's idea and the whole gist, but in the actual ep-to-ep it has failed to really stick at all. I kind of skipped over the last couple of bits to be honest.

It takes a rare and unique kind of skill to make such a dull, forgettable strip when your basic elevator pitch is 'werewolf vikings.' I'm still flabbergasted that it came back for a second series, to be honest.
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: maryanddavid on 06 August, 2016, 01:40:44 AM
Brink, a really outstanding new series, claustrophobic setting

Yes, uncomfortably claustrophobic.
Abnett seems to be a master at this, as reading Brink brought to mind the same uneasy feeling I had when playing Alien Isolation.

Best new series of 2016 (so far).

Theblazeuk

I did not know Dabnett wrote Alien Isolation. My love grows ever stronger

Mikey

Just dragging this thread up as I'm working through a backlog of progs - wanted to note how much I enjoyed Brink. It built superbly and I just love INJ Culbards work on it. Lush. However...

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 August, 2016, 08:31:23 PM
I shouldn't complain as it promise more of this glorious series but it pretty unsatisfying. I almost wanted this to be a done in one story, would have really suited it tight claustrophobic tone, but couldn't see how it was going to do that...and it didn't. All we got was a summary of what we'd seen to date and a new twisty cliffhanger thing. Still we're getting g more and it has been sublime so it's churlish to complain.

... I also think this. It made me want a few more standalone yarns in the prog. Something that's just great and finishes in one run. Still looking forward to more of course.

Oh, and Scarlet Traces is also awesome. D'Israeli's colouring, or more specifically how he uses lighting,  always makes me giddy with joy.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

QuickQuag

Cool. Looks like the Venusian word for mother is also the Maori word for mother - 'Whaea'?* Is there something Mister Edginton is planning, what with the facial markings (which strike me as more Mike Tysonish than the 'genuine' Ta Moko) too?

The word for father is 'Papa' in both, but somehow a little less impressive.

[Pronunciation of Whaea is sort of close to 'fa-eh-a' but with the F sound made between near-touching lips rather than th top teeth and bottom lip, for those of you playing at home]
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.