Main Menu

Prog 1993 : MINDCRIMES!

Started by Darren Stephens, 06 August, 2016, 12:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

What, no Prog thread yet? Pretty solid Prog. All thriller, no filler, as they say. My highlights are Dredd, which continues at a cracking pace and ends this weeks episode on quite a cliffhanger. Also standing out for me, a surprise 3riller, drawn brilliantly by Colin Macniel and a nice opening episode for th latest Anderson story, with fantastic art from Nick Dyer, coloured by the far too talented Richard Elson.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

A.Cow

Cover:  Hmm.  Stylish but not my personal cup of tea.

Dredd:  Quality stuff.  Plus P.J. Maybe has a cracking figure.  But he's no Judge Hershey.

Scarlet Traces:  Loving this, especially all the visuals.  The [spoiler]Planet of the Apes 'Icarus' capsule[/spoiler] (complete with rarely-seen back door & engines) has lovely concertina-style expanding wings for re-entry -- I've never seen this before in a spaceship design.  Very cool.

3rillers:  Good stuff so far.  Looking forward to the remaining parts.

Outlier:  This lost me back in the last run.  Found the characters easy to mix up, and haven't a clue what their motivations are.

Anderson, Psi Division:  Interesting to read an Anderson without Alan Grant at the reins.  Hopefully it means we'll avoid the usual "battle in someone's mind" trope.  Beeby's story is very engaging so far, and Nick Dyer seems to be channelling both the Kennedys -- Ian and Cam -- in his artwork.

Mattofthespurs

All good stuff.
Different look for Cass and the artwork reminds me of Cam Kennedy which is no bad thing.

Tjm86

Quote from: A.Cow on 06 August, 2016, 01:46:56 PM

Scarlet Traces:  Loving this, especially all the visuals.  The [spoiler]Planet of the Apes 'Icarus' capsule[/spoiler] (complete with rarely-seen back door & engines) has lovely concertina-style expanding wings for re-entry -- I've never seen this before in a spaceship design.  Very cool.

Thought the same me'self on the influence.  For a moment I was back in primary school out in Tehran (don't ask).  The pacing on ST is a bit different since up 'til now it has been monthly so each episode has been longer.  I wonder how the different scheduling is going to work out in the long run.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  Eye catching.

Dredd:  Progressing well.

Scarlet Traces:  Nah.

3rillers:  Good start.

Outlier: Continues to hold my attention.

Anderson, Psi Division:  Another good start, but not sure if I dig the Faux Cam style yet.... will judge in a couple of weeks.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Geoff

Love that cover and a great prog overall. Thanks Tharg!

JUDGE BURNS

NO PROG TODAY IN AYRSHIRE  :-(    AGAIN !!!

Skullmo

Athough I am not a fan of mimicking another style I thought Nick's art on Anderson was excellent and the best I've seen from him.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Skullmo on 07 August, 2016, 05:29:56 PM
Athough I am not a fan of mimicking another style I thought Nick's art on Anderson was excellent and the best I've seen from him.

I'm a huge fan of Cam Kennedy, whose raw artistic talent leaves me in awe... but I think it's worth pointing out that Cam's own style is a fairly ruthless, errm, homage of Victor de la Fuente's style. It's worth remembering that an accurate translation of "This guy is totally original" is "I have no idea who this guy is ripping off".
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Skullmo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 August, 2016, 05:38:58 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 07 August, 2016, 05:29:56 PM

I'm a huge fan of Cam Kennedy, whose raw artistic talent leaves me in awe... but I think it's worth pointing out that Cam's own style is a fairly ruthless, errm, homage of Victor de la Fuente's style. It's worth remembering that an accurate translation of "This guy is totally original" is "I have no idea who this guy is ripping off".

Well - in many cases. Many artists take a collection of different influences rather than ripping someone specific.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Trent

Much like Mike McMahon seemingly progressively channelling Pablo Picasso throughout his career.

Colin YNWA

Two conclusions last week (well 20 minutes ago for me) means two starts this week and both are fine. 3rillers are a curious beast, you can almost discount the good start, that seems to be the 'easy' part, build the intrigue, draw us in. The skill seems to be what you do with that. So yeah here we get the really good, really intriguing start, beautifully rendered by Colin MacNeil. Let's see where we go from here, but very promising start.

As is Anderson really nice opening from Emma Beey and delightful to see Nick Dwyer in the prog as always.

Elsewhere we're as you where Outlier builds and builds really nicely we seem to have the meat in the intergalactic war nice ready from chomping now. Scarlet Traces has got to the meat in its interplanetary gambit and it's all getting very exciting. Dredd is just devine

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Skullmo on 07 August, 2016, 07:06:45 PM
Well - in many cases. Many artists take a collection of different influences rather than ripping someone specific.

I should probably clarify that I make a huge distinction between wearing an artistic influence on one's sleeve, and just copying someone else's work. I have never seen a single panel of de la Fuente's that I would say Cam 'ripped off', but I have seen entire pages of Fuente's that, had I not known the attribution, I would cheerfully have identified as a previously-unknown page by Kennedy.

In a similar vein, I've only recently come to appreciate the work of Wally Wood and, once you see any significant number of his pages, it's enormously apparent who Dave Gibbons' primary influence was. Same thing -- Dave isn't swiping from Wood in any literal sense, but there are pages of Wood's work I could easily mistake for Gibbons.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Fungus

Glad I cocked a snook at this thread early (spoilers aren't a big deal I find).
Well done Tharg on nabbing Christian Ward, the quality covers with only occasional blips keep coming  :)
Miss his regular book though (ODY-C), which has been dormant a few months now  :(