Main Menu

Red Dwarf XI

Started by Goaty, 29 August, 2016, 09:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Episode 3 was another goodie (didn't laugh as much as episode 2 but that was particularly great so that's fine).

My wife did point out that [spoiler]by going back so far to take out Lister's kidneys, he actually wouldn't have had any kidneys to be stolen by the deranged surgeon droid, so they couldn't have been destroyed in the jar, so there would never have been a problem. When she said that I sort of expected the pay-off to be that it was Cat who got his kidneys stolen after all but it was just left as a plot hole I guess.[/spoiler]

Still Red Dwarf isn't a show to concern itself too much with that sort of thing, and neither are we!

Leigh S

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 October, 2016, 12:22:02 PM
Episode 3 was another goodie (didn't laugh as much as episode 2 but that was particularly great so that's fine).

My wife did point out that [spoiler]by going back so far to take out Lister's kidneys, he actually wouldn't have had any kidneys to be stolen by the deranged surgeon droid, so they couldn't have been destroyed in the jar, so there would never have been a problem. When she said that I sort of expected the pay-off to be that it was Cat who got his kidneys stolen after all but it was just left as a plot hole I guess.[/spoiler]

I thought exactly the same, and was also waiting for the same sort of payoff / fun extra twist on the situation - might be why when you have two writers they see opportunities to add more than one writer does! Do they run a bit shorter than old Dwarf due to commercials? Each eposde has been fun, but does feel like it spent too long making the same Rimmer selfish coward jokes at teh expense of playing aroudn with the admitytedly fun concepts they had for each episode
Still Red Dwarf isn't a show to concern itself too much with that sort of thing, and neither are we!

Greg M.

Apart from not actually making any sense when you stop to think about it [spoiler]- it must have been an alternate past they ended up in, I suppose -[/spoiler] that was still the best episode of series XI so far.

Taryn Tailz

Ah, but did we actually see the deranged medi-droid removing Lister's kidneys in the first place? If I remember rightly, we saw a couple of kidneys in a jar, but there was nothing to say they were actually Lister's. They could have belonged to anybody from the ship's original crew, with Rimmer and Kryten actualy arriving before surgery got under way. Then when those kidneys were destroyed and Lister was found to be missing his kidneys, Kryten naturally assumed that it was the medi-droid who had taken them.

Still, it was another good episode, if not quite up to last weeks standards. But we're three for three so far in series XI.

von Boom

Episode 4, Officer Rimmer, is up on UKTVPlay. Probably my least favourite so far, but still pretty good.

Greg M.

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 07 October, 2016, 12:52:56 AM
Ah, but did we actually see the deranged medi-droid removing Lister's kidneys in the first place? If I remember rightly, we saw a couple of kidneys in a jar, but there was nothing to say they were actually Lister's. They could have belonged to anybody from the ship's original crew, with Rimmer and Kryten actualy arriving before surgery got under way. Then when those kidneys were destroyed and Lister was found to be missing his kidneys, Kryten naturally assumed that it was the medi-droid who had taken them.

You make a very good point - in which case, as I've seen suggested elsewhere, was the medi-droid indeed no longer insane and actually planning on saving Lister by transplanting the spare kidneys into him, before Rimmer shot them up?

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Greg M. on 07 October, 2016, 12:35:36 PM

You make a very good point - in which case, as I've seen suggested elsewhere, was the medi-droid indeed no longer insane and actually planning on saving Lister by transplanting the spare kidneys into him, before Rimmer shot them up?

That does sound more like something Rimmer would do. :P

Leigh S

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 07 October, 2016, 03:51:27 PM

Something like this is what I was thinking - if ultimately, they had created the paradox themselves by removing the kidneys in the first place - would have been a bit of an extra icing to the whole thing

That does sound more like something Rimmer would do. :P

CrazyFoxMachine

This is what I thought - this series so far has been far more atmospheric and daring than X but seems frustratingly unable to deliver a satisfying denoument it's like Doug's gone over it afterwards and chopped an extra scene off the end of each episode that'd wrap each one up properly :S

Still comforting and entertaining in equal measure - not at all terrible.

James Stacey

caught up with Ep 3 and 4 last night. Still great stuff. Ep 4 does end rather abruptly though. As CFM says, they seem to be lacking a concluding scene of the crew sitting around and an amusing joke to round it off.

Taryn Tailz

Series XI is now 4 for 4 in my eyes, though that was perhaps the weakest of the series so far.

As for the ending, well...it simply wasn't an ending was it? I thought the ending to the episode 'Samsera' was abrupt, but this weeks episode seemed to cut to the credits mid scene. It looked so unprofessional that I'm wondering if it was the channel cutting the episode short to fit the time slot, as I can't imagine a director or producer working on the show would think that that was a suitable ending.

auxlen

I also couldn't believe the ending? Poor script editing that forced them to cut it short?

sheridan

One review I read online* suggested that a two-second shot of the [spoiler]pacman-style display blipping out[/spoiler] would have made a better ending than that broadcast.

*read just now in fact, to remind myself what the ending was.

CrazyFoxMachine

Just seen it - yeah where on earth was the denouement?? I think you could argue by having Rimmer [spoiler]hastily resign before the final scene[/spoiler] wrapped that particular thing up but it didn't feel like enough.  Very strange. The [spoiler]BrundelRimmer[/spoiler] was unexpectedly harrowing and there were some good gags but yeah, structure was way off.

Keef Monkey

Found it quite charming that in many shots you could see [spoiler]the crew member shuffling along behind the Rimmer beast pushing his wee trolley along.[/spoiler] Definitely a really awkward ending though. I forget now, does it just end with [spoiler]them firing at it then straight to credits? Wonder if some sort of splattery effect was planned that didn't work out.[/spoiler]

Episode 5 had some great moments, didn't seem to hang together quite as well as the others though. Saying that I was very tired when I put it on so the awkward flow might have just been me having trouble engaging my brain! Just felt a bit disjointed maybe, although thinking back on it the structure did make sense. I'll put it down to me being knackered. was nice to see a Kryten-focussed episode, his facial acting under the mask makes for some great laughs.