Main Menu

John Higgins -Royal Mail stamps

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 September, 2016, 10:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

John Higgins has drawn some stamps commemorating the Great Fire of London. See more here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37247565

Proudhuff

Is that Defoe and some zombies I see?
DDT did a job on me

sheridan

I missed out on getting the British comics and Neil Gaiman / Dave McKean's mythological stamps, but may find myself attempting to get this set.  I say attempt, because I did try to get the mythological stamps, but the people at the local-to-work main post office were rather clueless...

sheridan

Michael Knight

Jim_Campbell

The sound you can hear is the weeping of letterers across the land.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 September, 2016, 03:53:36 PM

As usual, I didn't notice the crossbars until Jim pointed them out.

I do, however, stand in solidarity with you, Jim. I now manage a newspaper production team making sure 1.6 million people get the news every day, and nobody has a chuffing clue about what any of us actually do.  :D

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Trout on 02 September, 2016, 04:21:41 PM
I do, however, stand in solidarity with you, Jim. I now manage a newspaper production team making sure 1.6 million people get the news every day, and nobody has a chuffing clue about what any of us actually do.  :D

Former newspaper production manager, also. I don't half pick my careers... :-)

Hawkmumbler

Well aren't those just the dandiest little things.

COMMANDO FORCES

They look great!

If you're on instagram, then look at royalmailgroup for some sound effects and a bit of animation with each stamp from their last 6 posts.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 September, 2016, 03:53:36 PM

Forgive my ignorance but why?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 02 September, 2016, 08:38:25 PM
Forgive my ignorance but why?

In comic book lettering fonts, both the upper and lower case character sets give capitals, with slight variations in letterform to stop the lettering looking too mechanical. The lower case I gives you a straight vertical stroke, whilst the upper gives you an I with crossbars top and bottom. The 'crossbar I' (in English) is reserved specifically the pronoun 'I':

hippynumber1

Cheers. That's really interesting and, now you've pointed it out and explained it, those capital 'I's are really jarring.

hippynumber1

I am literally just reading Devlin Waugh 'Red Tide' and both Tom Frame and Peter Doherty use the 'I' throughout while Annie Parkhouse favours the method you explain; is it then just a matter of preference rather than one being considered 'wrong'? I'm genuinely interested in this by the way.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me