Main Menu

Meg 376 - Urban Gorilla

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 18 September, 2016, 08:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 September, 2016, 11:37:21 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 22 September, 2016, 09:51:21 PMIt did say that the two films were not related (though strange choice of CJ in both cases).
Really? But if you release two Dredd movies, people are going to think they are. And the plan was back-to-back filming. So that makes no sense.

Mmm, possibly I misread the line after the title of the second film 'which would be unrelated to the earlier film' as referring to the first proposed film, rather than that film from 1995.  Either way, looks like we dodged a bad film.

Colin YNWA

So yeah took me a little longer than normal to get to read the rest of the Meg, well the little I did. Realm of the Damned is a skip though I will return to it at some point. I'm saving Thrillpower Overload for a later date (when the book is out) and while I envy those that haven't read ...and Death Shall Have No Dumb Minions but I don't read the floppies of stuff I've got. I'll get to this story again at re-read ... in some time.

So when you are only reading 3 strips in a comic this size you're kinda on a loser... or you would be, but when the strips are of this quality the cost is just about justified. Dredd as I said before is immense fun. In Blunt we have a superb new strip I'm enjoying immensely. It feels like its taken an old formula, group in the wilds being picked off by some natural force and given in fresh life. Such a 2000ad trait and with some great characters this is becoming a bit of a favourite.

Mind good as both these strips are neither can possibly be the best thing in the comic of course cos the flawless Lawless is still in it. Truly one of the best things Tharg's done in a long time and already a firm favourite with me and so many others. Quite brilliant comics. This story ends fantastically and sets up quite something to come next time. Long may this series run and I hope Phil Winslade gets his wish to make this the work that marks his career. Lets hope. Can't wait for the strip to return.

So yeah I'm not reading a particularly large proportion of the Meg but what I do is worth it. Whatever replaces Lawless has a job on its hands mind!

dweezil2

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 22 September, 2016, 09:39:03 AM
Did anyone else bag one of the free Realm of the Dead t shirts being offered in the editorial in this month's Meg.
Due to a busy weekend I did not get around to reading it until Tuesday and by then I was sure that the 10 t-shirts on offer would have been snapped up by eager subscribers.
Never the less, and email was penned and a mere 2 days later the free shirt has just dropped through my letterbox! What sterling service.
A thank you email shall be forth coming.

Mine dropped through the postbox today!

It's always nice to get a freebie!  :)

Many thanks to Tharg and his crew!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

Unlike Colin, I'm reading it all and, like Colin, loving all I read.

The Heston strip is superb, not because of the sentimental resonances, but because it's probably Wyatt's best Dredd script to date: everything feels right including Dredd himself; Heston is rapidly established as an intriguing and sympathetic citizen character (of a type we don't see many of these days); the Comportment is put centre stage' and there's plenty of incidental crazy (Jigsaw disease replacing Cholera is especially good).  Jake Lynch's art scales yet further heights.  Could there have been a better tribute to Logan?  Unlikely.

After that, my favourite thing is Dumb Minions.  I remember this being great, but not this great.  SBD's art is probably the best it has ever been (maybe A Simple Killing? I dunno, but this is something else), and in one sitting the story rockets along to its beautifully melancholy epilogue.   if the current run of floppies doesn't raise general appreciation of Sinister Dexter to tradeworthy heights, Abnett should just give up (please don't). I almost can't believe we are getting Malone next month -  I would buy the Meg just for this.

Happily, I don't have to, because Lawless is very nearly as good.  Winslade should be given ALL the art awards, even Best Colourist, because who could make this strip look any better? Rapidly moving into Greatest Meg Strip Ever territory. 

I'm an unashamed fan of Realm of the Damned, but maybe this final part was a bit lacking in surprises, even while comfortably exceeding its gore targets.  Really enjoyed this story, well done those lads.  Will there be more?

Blunt is also good fun, and the art is superb.  It does suffer from comparison with the first run of Zombo (without the laughs) and Lawless (without the cast), but on its own terms it's a welcome addition to the death planet/colony worlds genre.

TPO The Next Generation was a good read, but reminded me that I still have the 30th Anniversary badge in the coin holder of my Ford Fiesta, which in turn reminds me that I have been driving it for 11 years now.  Did all these things Stock mentions really happen a decade ago?  -sobs quietly-

Art

Jigsaw disease replacing Cholera is especially good

That one is Jake's actually - he adds a lot to these stories in terms of little details like that.

Magnetica

Nice JD this month. Before I read it I flicked through the Mega and thought "oh good it's Henry Flint on Dredd", so imagine my surprise to read the creator credit to see it was actually Jake Lynch. But it is good stuff and to para-phrase Jim (Campbell not Dark) every artist has others they base elements of their style on, so please don't take this as a criticism - in fact given it also reminds me of mid Prog 100 McMahon please take this as praise.

Thankfully Realm is over. For me it didn't really explore the world described in the blurb and the main villain (sorry I have forgotten his name) didn't really seem to do much at all other than a few fights. Overall it was ...ok I guess.

Lawless - yes just great.

Blunt - sorry haven't summoned up enough enthusiasm to read this yet - tomorrow probably.

Sin Dex floppy - just read last month's on the tube today so looking forward to this month's one. Noticed it misses out  a load of stories, but I am guessing it gives us the crucial episode featuring Kal Cutter Isobel and Senor Apellido (I am talking about the 3 floppies over all).  I normally don't read floppies of stuff I already have but make an exception for SinDex (and Finn :lol:)

TPO - great read. This is the sort of directly relevant text article I like to see.