Main Menu

new Dan dare Series from Titan Comics

Started by rogue69, 08 October, 2016, 12:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Titan Comics has just announced a new Dan Dare comic at New York Comic Con. The creative team has not been revealed.

Talking about the new title, which will launch next year, editor David Leach says Titan's take will take the character created by Frank Hampson and the Reverend Marcus Morris back to his roots, as fondly remembered from the original Eagle comic, who ran for nearly 20 years (and whose adventures continue in Spaceship Away).
"We wanted to bring back the spirit of the classic Dan Dare, that spirit of courage and daring do, Dare's innate decency and pluck," he said.
"There have been many different Dares since the original," he continued, "We've had our dark and political Dare, the grandson of Dare and even a sort of space pirate Dare, but this incarnation will be the original Dare – that young, heroic, brave and determined Dare that we came to love.
"We wanted to get back to what made him special in the first place. And what better way to do that in than a rollicking, epic, galaxy-spanning space saga!"

dweezil2

I kind of wished we'd had a continuation of Garth Ennis' Virgin Comics series.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 08 October, 2016, 12:47:06 AM

Is that the pirate one?

sheridan

Quote from: rogue69 on 08 October, 2016, 12:40:23 AM
"We wanted to bring back the spirit of the classic Dan Dare, that spirit of courage and daring do, Dare's innate decency and pluck," he said.

*tut* how did that get through proof-reading?  Daring Do is (apparently) one of the My Little Ponys, while derring do is what Errol Flynn did.

Dash Decent

Yes, it's a worry when you see that kind of thing from a publisher.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Tjm86

For a brief moment when I saw the title of the thread I thought that they were attempting to relaunch their reprints of the original 50's / 60's material.  That seems to have fizzled out although maybe it's just a case of nowhere round here stocks it. 

It will be interesting to see what this looks like.  Much as I enjoyed Ennis' Virgin series, there seemed too much in the way of 'homage' to Morrison's run on the political front.  That said, it worked well.  From the blurb it sounds like they're trying the latter Eagle's strategy (the Pugh run of the 90's).  If the recent Johnny Red is anything to go by then this should be worth a look.

Trout

Quote from: dweezil2 on 08 October, 2016, 12:47:06 AM

Me too. This was really good.

Colin YNWA

As it happens I'm about to re-read Ennis' Dare, while when I first read it I thought was one of the best comics EVER. I adored it. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up to re-read, I'm optimistic.

Be interesting to see how taking Dan Dare back to his roots will work these days, and how much they'll feel they can stick to that. Still always welcome to see him back and with a good creative team could be a nice comic. Lets see.

Mind of course in my mind this news actually means.

Titan have a deal with Dan Dare Corporation.
So they'll look at other properties.
They'll give us Doomlord reprints.

.... yeah I know, I know but a boy can dream.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 October, 2016, 07:06:18 AM
As it happens I'm about to re-read Ennis' Dare, while when I first read it I thought was one of the best comics EVER. I adored it. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up to re-read, I'm optimistic.

Be interesting to see how taking Dan Dare back to his roots will work these days, and how much they'll feel they can stick to that. Still always welcome to see him back and with a good creative team could be a nice comic. Lets see.

Mind of course in my mind this news actually means.

I bought myself a Doomlord reprint about a month ago, great reading!  (can dig out the link from another thread if the publisher doesn't comment on this reply in the next few days)

I'd like a Bloodfang reprint - first series reads like the bits on Old One Eye or Satanus about everyday life as a Tyrannosaur while book two introduced time-travelling cowboys from the future out to hunt food for the flesh-starved millions...  Done by Wagner and Grant instead of Mills.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Dan Dare -the Cyber Punk years. Maybe it will be an unsubtle comment of Brexit with 'Back off Brussels' on the Cover and Dan laser in hand blastin' some Blighty hating Eurocrats.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Tony Angelino

So do Dan Dare Corporation hold the rights to Eagle stories or do Rebellion?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 08 October, 2016, 12:06:30 PM

So do Dan Dare Corporation hold the rights to Eagle stories or do Rebellion?

Dan Dare Corporation apparently. Except those that transfered from Scream etc... I think...

matty_ae

The trouble with Dan Dare is his attitude is inextricably linked to 1950s view of the future (1990s).

You can revisit the character but what world does he make sense in?

I think Garth Ennis solved it well with the cricket pitch on asteroid - he belongs in a time that doesn't exist anymore. Put him anywhere else and he is an anachronism.

I thought Wagner/mills world in new eagle of dan returning to an earth over-run by mekonta aliens full of collocations still works, probably ahead of its time and would be quite edgy in a UKIP/BREXIT world.

rogue69

I wonder if means that he will go back to being a pastor preaching the word of God to the heathen aliens in a time when commoners knew their place & female characters where only good for screaming & getting themselves in to trouble so Dan would have to rescue them

Michael Knight

This is great news! Im willing to give this the chance it deserves.
Anything to see this great British Icon back in the public realm gets my support. I was first introduced to the 'new Eagle' Dan Dare of the late 80's/early 90's and i was so engrossed by the character. Over the years I've read the 50's, 60's classic run and i absolutely love the 2000ad Dan Dare run in the recent Hardback collected editions. Sure its vert different but a fun thrilling read with some glorious bonkers sci-fi concepts. The Virgin Dan Dare i loved too!  :)