Main Menu

Meg 377: Psink or Swim

Started by Trent, 15 October, 2016, 12:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Cheers Cosh, rings a bell now.

Steve Green

There is talk of a Death story, but there would be a heist story first.

Talking of which.

I wish someone would find a method of creating a dark judges font that would allow for multiple versions of the same letter, compared to the hand-lettered versions it doesn't look good when you get multiple letters of that sort in a row, which happenssss a lot with their dialogue.

Considering you've got a follow-up to Dark Justice, Tainted ongoing and this in the movie universe it would look a bit more natural if one was created for these strips.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 October, 2016, 11:30:54 AM
I wish someone would find a method of creating a dark judges font that would allow for multiple versions of the same letter, compared to the hand-lettered versions it doesn't look good when you get multiple letters of that sort in a row, which happenssss a lot with their dialogue.

When I lettered Rich McAuliffe & Conor Boyle's (excellent) 'Dark Judgement' specials for Zarjaz, I went back to Tom Frame's lettering, and thought that Comicraft's CCWiccanSpecial was the closest in 'feel' to Tom's work, although lacking as much variation in character shape as I'd have liked...

Hand-drawing all those frickin' balloons was fun, obviously... :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Yeah, looking at it Judge Death Lives just now - the dripping style lettering is reserved for splashes and switches to something more normal and legible for the other pages.

Seems like a good approach.

Alec Worley

Haha! Feel like I should chip in here, just in case false expectation spoils your enjoyment of the story: this one is most definitely NOT a Dark Judges tale. Hope you dig it all the same.
Cheers
WORL*E

Colin YNWA

Well entering the post Lawless world was always going to be a challenge, one I'd say Meg 377 handles with aplomb.

Dredd finishes its glorious Judge Heston story really well, Blunt continues to be a fantastic new thrill, one of my fav new stories for a while. The two new thrill offer much as well. I've never really got on with the Dreddmovieverse stories but this first part of a two part Anderson is really good and I enjoyed it immensely. Finally my first taste of Angelic and I like it. Really nice stuff with some excellent Lee Carter visuals.

The only downside is the text articles feel pretty light weight... though to be fair since I'm skipping the Thrillpower Overload stuff to save it until the book comes out that's entirely my fault!

So yeah while nothing lives up to Lawless' standard the fact that all four thrill and pretty much first rate makes this one of the best Megs for a while. Top stuff.

Frank

I was worried editorial might be running out of psi wordplay, but abandoning the size/eyes puns for phrases that feature some of the same letters as psi opens up new vistas:

Taking The Psis

Psising Like A Racehorse

Eyes Like Psis Holes in Snow

Leigh S

You're all just Psising in the wind...

Trent

Gotta say it just reaffirms my belief that cover graphics and phrases have declined since Pye Parr departed.
Lots of poor straplines, murky graphics and poorly laid out text the last year or so. I used to really enjoy 2000AD covers but these days there's usually something somewhere thar jars.

Geoff

Anyone else think Dredd's boots looked very McMahon style on the DPS for Monkey Business? Harking back to Charles Darwin block....or maybe just my imagination..

DrJomster

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 October, 2016, 11:53:03 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 21 October, 2016, 11:30:54 AM

When I lettered Rich McAuliffe & Conor Boyle's (excellent) 'Dark Judgement' specials for Zarjaz, I went back to Tom Frame's lettering, and thought that Comicraft's CCWiccanSpecial was the closest in 'feel' to Tom's work, although lacking as much variation in character shape as I'd have liked...

Hand-drawing all those frickin' balloons was fun, obviously... :-)

Those Dark Judgements were great work by all of you! Very entertaining! In an All Life Must Die kind of way, obviously...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Magnetica

It's taken ages to get round to the Meg this month. And without Lawless its just not as good.

Dredd wraps up well, I enjoyed Thrill Power Overload and the Tom Foster interview - on my can he draw. Really need to see more of him in the Meg or Prog.

But the rest was a bit flat for me.

Blunt seems to be the same every month. It's ok, but no more than that. Not a story I would be overly keen to buy a TPB of.

I am not sure who everyone is in Angelic (Pa Angel aside) but equally I'm not sure it is worth digging out the Megs this appeared in before for a re-read and will probably just go with it for now.

Anderson was ok; I preferred it to Blunt and Angelic anyway.

I'm saving the floppy til later.

I thought the cover was good though.

TordelBack

The floppy was just superb. I'd worried about how Malone would work without the 'surprise' factor (especially since it's spelled out on the back cover!) but in fact it is still a grand story, just coming from the perspective of seeing Finny hiding from himself. And Coleby's art is terrific, the sense of light and shadow amazing. Williams' art in the second story is also lovely: no-nonsense storytelling that glides across the page and realy suits the collected format.  This run of floppies can't resume soon enough.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 November, 2016, 06:48:28 AM
The floppy was just superb. I'd worried about how Malone would work without the 'surprise' factor (especially since it's spelled out on the back cover!) but in fact it is still a grand story, just coming from the perspective of seeing Finny hiding from himself. And Coleby's art is terrific, the sense of light and shadow amazing.

Yup. I don't always read the floppy, but Malone really stood up on a re-read. Thoroughly enjoyed the main Meg, too.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 November, 2016, 06:48:28 AM
And Coleby's art is terrific, the sense of light and shadow amazing.

It was nice to revisit Malone.

Two points the forum will never disagree on;
1) Simon Coleby is brilliant.
2) We need to see more of his work.